Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another Update -
My three Motobatts in my ST1100s are now over four years old and still working just fine. Never been on a battery tender as I usually ride year round. Which means all three will probably die tomorrow ... ;-)

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
The one I bought in August didn't make it to Christmas, and was kept on a tender when parked in my garage. I'm currently corresponding with them for a a refund or a replacement.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm beginning to think that the only way for a battery to last a long time is to ride all the time! ;-)
I do believe you are correct! I've had pretty good battery life out of my batteries as long as I'm riding (commuting) a lot. My brother on the other hand, since retiring, is not putting the type of mileage on his bike he used to and has gone through a number of batteries over the last few years.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I've got a replacement battery on the way, covered under warranty. It seems the defective one shows the correct voltage but as soon as a load is applied - just turning the key so the lights and fuel pump come on (i.e. not pressing the starter) - it drops to 9V.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I think that is typical of nearly any 'dead' battery. The open-circuit voltage my be 12-13V, but the battery's internal resistance will cause a significant drop in voltage as soon as a load is placed on it.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
It seems the defective one shows the correct voltage but as soon as a load is applied - just turning the key so the lights and fuel pump come on (i.e. not pressing the starter) - it drops to 9V.
This is typical of a broken lead plate in the battery.

That is exactly what happened to mine this weekend, as l had to bump start my bike to get home from a couple hours ride, once I had bike in my garage l did a load test, same results as you guys mentioned. So I went to KW Honda and got a new one today. Fired right up. I figured mine was original from 2010.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
That is exactly what happened to mine this weekend, as l had to bump start my bike to get home from a couple hours ride, once I had bike in my garage l did a load test, same results as you guys mentioned. So I went to KW Honda and got a new one today. Fired right up. I figured mine was original from 2010.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
IfyourswasOEMyouhavedoenexceptionallywell.Forcuriousity,howmuchwasthebatteryfromKWHonda?PS-IhavenoideawhyIcan'tusethespacebarinthispost.

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Thanks, Randy. I'm now on my third battery - I forget how long the OEM lasted but I switched to a lithium-ion when it died. I think that last about 4-5 years and in August I installed the Motobat (I think I had 162,000 kms on my bike at the time).

UP, it wouldn't be the first time that has happened...but not in this case! I could type with proper spacing in Outlook, Word, Excel, and Gmail...I think Mellow was just bored and playing games with me:)

Bike
2012 Gold Wing
STOC #
The last Motobatt I put in the ST died a couple days ago. I have used 3 of them now. I get about 3 years per battery.

Top Bottom