U-Joint Pre-Failure Indicator

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
My hands are *almost* big enough to palm a basketball...
I had to have Chris put that boot on (an ST1100) because I was so frustrated by not being able to get it done even with long pliers...
Twice. Sigh... ;)

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Had a chance to measure my bikes's rear wheel play in 1st gear: 1-5/8" at the rim (same as 1-7/8" at the tire's widest point). Seems typical of others' bikes above.

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
It looks like my bike has the same problem. After searching through the forums I decided to post here since it's had the most discussion on it.
I'm going to do the work myself and about ready to order parts. In addition to the yoke itself, has anyone found other parts that needed replacement while they were inside it? I haven't dived into it yet, so I haven't inspected anything, but I want to get a lead on ordering in case of anything that might end up being back-ordered.

Thanks for the help.
JimS

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It looks like my bike has the same problem. After searching through the forums I decided to post here since it's had the most discussion on it.
I'm going to do the work myself and about ready to order parts. In addition to the yoke itself, has anyone found other parts that needed replacement while they were inside it? I haven't dived into it yet, so I haven't inspected anything, but I want to get a lead on ordering in case of anything that might end up being back-ordered.

Thanks for the help.
JimS
You will want to change the rubber boot that covers the U-Joint and while you are in there replace the oil seal on the output shaft, I should have done this when I changed my U-Joint as it would have saved me pulling the swing arm off a second time for the oil leak.

Top Bottom