Thread: New Law In Minnesota

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '93 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: New Law In Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by wjbertrand View Post
    A similar anti-gridlock law has been in effect in California for what, maybe 5 years now? It basically states that you cannot enter an intersection (whether turning or not) until there is room for you to exit on the other side. In the freeway, suburban and rural driving I mostly do, I've seen no effect or enforcement of this law. I suppose it's intended mostly for congested urban areas like the surface streets in the bigger cities.

I agree with the law though, as I've been completely blocked from crossing an intersection on occasion and missed my green due to folks cramming into the intersection from the other direction at the end of their green or yellow light and then getting stuck there due to another light down the street somewhere holding traffic.
    From the heavy congestion and people going straight with poorly timed lights I agree. As for people making a Left. Well the areas where this kind of congestion happens, I have seen signs that state no left turns during hours xx-xx. Basically rush hour. For me, like I said my only complaint is when making a left in an intersection that doesn't have the time restriction. When doing this if someone else is in the "the box" doing the same thing I don't enter it. If there is no one there I pull into the intersection positioned so I can go when there is an opening.

On that subject a few years ago my father too an AARP 55 and alive driving course. One of the questions he got wrong he thought he would stump me on.

What direction do you have your wheels pointed when waiting to make a left turn in the situation where you are in the intersection? He said to the Left because you are turning left. I told him that was wrong. It is straight. The reason is that if you are sitting in the intersection that means there is oncoming traffic or you would be making your turn. If your wheels are turned to the left and you get rear ended your vehicle will get pushed into oncoming traffic. If your wheels are straight you will get pushed into most likely nothing.
    STOC# 6145
    IBA# 53268
    1993 ST1100 non-ABS
    2003 ST1300 ABS (RIP)
    Too many Farkles to list. Take a look at bike mods in my profile.

2. › Site Search for: New Law In Minnesota
    Tip Overs
    2014 Miles

My Gallery

A good if not primary reason not to enter an intersection until it is safe to clear it is that car that pulls into the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left blocks more of the sight line of the opposing motorist sitting at the opposite white line waiting to turn left. A car 60 feet away blocks less of your view on oncoming traffic than when that car is only 30 feet away. Often the second cager is forced to enter the intersection as well and scooch as far as he can to the left so he can look around the right side of the first nincompoop sitting out there. First nincoompoop now can't see past the second one so he creeps a bit more left to see around the right side of the other one. The both run the light to clear the intersection. As a motorcyclist I try always to be aware of being in others' blind spots and the fellow motorists that pull into the intersection make a larger blind spot for me to transit as I approach the intersection in the travel lanes intending to go straight through.

For fun try this. Consciously wait at the white line behind someone out in the middle. You will see an opening in oncoming traffic before he does as his field of view is reduced from that of yours as long as there is traffic waiting to turn left the other way. You can start to go and catch up to him as he accelerates across and out of the intersection. You will find he saved no time at all by crowding the intersection and reduced the safety of others by doing so. I do this all the time. It won't work if you enter the intersection with the intention of running it after your light turns red. That is simply running a light.

Dave

Honda SC51
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Honda CH80

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    '93 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    A good if not primary reason not to enter an intersection until it is safe to clear it is that car that pulls into the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left blocks more of the sight line of the opposing motorist sitting at the opposite white line waiting to turn left. A car 60 feet away blocks less of your view on oncoming traffic than when that car is only 30 feet away. Often the second cager is forced to enter the intersection as well and scooch as far as he can to the left so he can look around the right side of the first nincompoop sitting out there. First nincoompoop now can't see past the second one so he creeps a bit more left to see around the right side of the other one. The both run the light to clear the intersection. As a motorcyclist I try always to be aware of being in others' blind spots and the fellow motorists that pull into the intersection make a larger blind spot for me to transit as I approach the intersection in the travel lanes intending to go straight through.

For fun try this. Consciously wait at the white line behind someone out in the middle. You will see an opening in oncoming traffic before he does as his field of view is reduced from that of yours as long as there is traffic waiting to turn left the other way. You can start to go and catch up to him as he accelerates across and out of the intersection. You will find he saved no time at all by crowding the intersection and reduced the safety of others by doing so. I do this all the time. It won't work if you enter the intersection with the intention of running it after your light turns red. That is simply running a light.
    Technically based on MN law if I hang out at the line and enter as the light is turning yes, that would be simply running the red light. However if I enter the intersection (the box) while it is green, I have the right and the requirement to clear the intersection. Even if it turns red while sitting there. Well at least this was legal in the past, not sure about now hence this post. In some places this is the only way to make a left turn at certain times of the day. It has always been perfectly legal in MN even taught in driver's training. Now that may not be the case in every state. We also have the ability to make a right turn on red unless the intersection is posted to the contrary. Yet another thing that varies by state.

So while I hear what you are saying with hanging back, that would work where there are breaks in the traffic proceeding straight through but does no good in cases where the traffic never clears the intersection because the light cycle is so short that only 4 vehicles can make it through and there may be 10 stacked up when. Add in someone at the front talking on a cell phone or texting and I have seen light cycles where no cars made it through. Don't get me on that subject.

I haven't had a chance to get in touch with my contacts at the Sheriff's department yet.

Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Virginia has a similar law, but I don't think I've heard of anyone being ticketed. DC used to enforce their version of the law pretty heavily, but I don't think they do any more.
    STOC # 1157 '07 Bandit 1250, BlueStreak II
    If you're telekinetic and you know it, raise my hand.

Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post

The second part that I put in bold though??? I don't get what they mean by that. So the way I would read that, it sounds like you are in the intersection (the box) and not get to go through. OK isn't that what the law is prohibiting. What am I missing here?
    I think what the law is trying to stop is people who pull into an intersection even though traffic ahead of them (going straight) is blocked. That leaves the car sitting in the intersection blocking cross traffic. If, however, you pull into an intersection to make a left turn and, when the light changes, you can continue to move and clear the intersection, you're OK. But if traffic in the direction you want to turn is also backed up, and you can't complete the turn when the light changes, you're also subject to a ticket. The goal is to keep the intersection open for cross traffic.

+ New Posts
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345