Article [13] ST1300 - Scuff Guards on the Cheap

DakotaJoe

You can call me Scott
Bike
Honda ST1300
You've seen those nice scuff guards from the UK. I thought they would be a great way to protect the sides of the bike seeing how I still have most of my Army boots. Those boots love to leave the black marks everywhere. But once again, it comes down to money and the lack thereof.

I went down to the local Carzone for some other Farkle related items and came across this 2" Safety Tread tape and an idea was born.

I made some rubbings of the frame, drew out the pattern with a marker and redrew it about an 1/8" smaller all the way around. These patterns will work for both sides if you just flip it over. NOTE: The right side larger triangle piece does NOT have the lower cut out. So make that side first, then cut it out on your pattern for the left side.

I took scissors and cut out my pattern and then verified the cut by placing the paper on the frame. I cleaned the frame really well and finished off the cleaning with some alcohol so I was sure this was sticking forever.

I laid the patterns over the tape and penciled around them. Now the tape is only 2" wide so each piece had to be done with two strips. No Problem, I just cut more tape and placed it above the other piece as I traced it out. (Keep in mind the angles)

I then just took the pieces over to the bike and carefully put them on. The seam is hardly noticable and it cost me about $8 and 35 minutes of my time.

I have posted the pictures with more descriptions and a bit of a numbering system in the event someone wants to try this out. See my albums for this and other modifications.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Re: Scuff Guards on the Cheap

Been thinkin of doing this myself, nice job. :yr1:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Re: Scuff Guards on the Cheap

Those look nice and they do work great!! Now you need to make them in sets for all the others who would just like buy them and stick them on. This is your chance as you now have the pattern to do it!!

Good Luck. :shout1:

:usflag1:

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Re: ST1300-Scuff Guards on the Cheap

I've been thinking similar but hadn't yet found the right material, or decided on the colour. Shadowfax is already scuffed - my boots are near silver - so something is needed to tidy him up. Like you, I don't like running off and paying $?$ for these things so thanks for the prompt.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Re: ST1300-Scuff Guards on the Cheap

The first time I saw black marks in that area (4 yrs ago) I made that piece out of black rubber conveyor belt material...did the trick.
Nice to see others addressing that same issue...be it a small one. Nice job !

robertpage

TourMaster
Bike
2005 ST1300
Nice job.
I'll pay you $30 for the pair, if you don't mind cutting me out a pair and shipping them. I keep scrubbing those same scuff marks and they keep coming back.
I can PayPal the $30.
Love those useful farkles,
Robert::biker::

You've seen those nice scuff guards from the UK. I thought they would be a great way to protect the sides of the bike seeing how I still have most of my Army boots. Those boots love to leave the black marks everywhere. But once again, it comes down to money and the lack thereof.

I went down to the local Carzone for some other Farkle related items and came across this 2" Safety Tread tape and an idea was born.

I made some rubbings of the frame, drew out the pattern with a marker and redrew it about an 1/8" smaller all the way around. These patterns will work for both sides if you just flip it over. NOTE: The right side larger triangle piece does NOT have the lower cut out. So make that side first, then cut it out on your pattern for the left side.

I took scissors and cut out my pattern and then verified the cut by placing the paper on the frame. I cleaned the frame really well and finished off the cleaning with some alcohol so I was sure this was sticking forever.

I laid the patterns over the tape and penciled around them. Now the tape is only 2" wide so each piece had to be done with two strips. No Problem, I just cut more tape and placed it above the other piece as I traced it out. (Keep in mind the angles)

I then just took the pieces over to the bike and carefully put them on. The seam is hardly noticable and it cost me about $8 and 35 minutes of my time.

I have posted the pictures with more descriptions and a bit of a numbering system in the event someone wants to try this out. See my albums for this and other modifications.

OP
OP
DakotaJoe

DakotaJoe

You can call me Scott
Bike
Honda ST1300
Nice job.
I'll pay you $30 for the pair, if you don't mind cutting me out a pair and shipping them. I keep scrubbing those same scuff marks and they keep coming back.
I can PayPal the $30.
Love those useful farkles,
Robert::biker::
I've been away at school for a while. Answering all my posts. You sure you want to pay for this? It is really easy. Not that I would decline easy money...:) Just PM me if you really want a pre-cut set. Thanks for checking them out.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I found some 4 inch stuff... I was just going to make some for myself but I'll make a template and cuts as many Left and Right ones out and post in the store. A 180 inch roll was $22 so once I see how many 'sets' I can cut out I'll post. Maybe $5 a set including shipping?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I found some 4 inch stuff... I was just going to make some for myself but I'll make a template and cuts as many Left and Right ones out and post in the store. A 180 inch roll was $22 so once I see how many 'sets' I can cut out I'll post. Maybe $5 a set including shipping?
Here's my 1st attempt..

I just took some paper and held it against that area then pressed the frame features into it that way the cuts would parallel the other features.

Then, once that was cut where I wanted it I transferred that onto the thin backing from a notepad and then outlined it on the back of the tape.

Attachments

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Looks good! But now what are you going to put on your boots to keep the sides from getting scuffed by your scuff protectors?

STOC #
Hi,
I am the proud owner of an 06 ST 1300 and I have developed a new product for the boating industry that may be of value the prevent scuffing on bikes. You can go to my website at www.keeleazy.com and request a free sample. The sample is 2" wind but I also stock 3" and 4" in white or black. Check out the photos at the following.

pricing $4 per foot for 2"
$6 per foot for 3"
$8 per foot for 4"

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST
Here's my 1st attempt..

I just took some paper and held it against that area then pressed the frame features into it that way the cuts would parallel the other features.

Then, once that was cut where I wanted it I transferred that onto the thin backing from a notepad and then outlined it on the back of the tape.
Looks great, Joe....are you gonna still sell them ? I'd be interested in a set ....

Bike
2007 ST
Joe,

Got my scuff guards today and immediately put them on. They look great ! That 3M is sure some sticky stuff...helps if you're able to position them right the first time, otherwise they're a bit finicky to pull off. Thanks.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Glad you like them. Yeah, you have to get a good aim at it the first time.

Bike
2009 Suzuki Vstrom
Hey are there any of these strips left?.. the link does not work!..I know this is likely a Zombie thread but it IS stickied!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey are there any of these strips left?.. the link does not work!..I know this is likely a Zombie thread but it IS stickied!
Nope, sorry sir.. they are pretty easy to make if you just go to a home improvement store and look for Step Tape.. just outline what you want and cut to fit.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I made about 30 sets I think and I felt like I had arthritis afterwards so I had to stop before I cut a finger off.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If you don't want to chance scuffing your riding boots, could you just use black duct tape to make the scuff protectors? Not too sure about it's durability though.

Top Bottom