Article [13] ST1300 - Tip over bars on the CHEAP

DakotaJoe

You can call me Scott
Bike
Honda ST1300
I know a lot of you like those tip over bars and I do too, but I can't justify the cost.

So once again I set out to find a less expensive way to get a similar look.

I started out by purchasing some GL1800 crash guards that looked very similar to the tip over bars available out there. NOTE: Not all crash bars from the Gold Wings look like these. If you are going to do this mod, they have to be the same ones.

When they arrived I noticed some key differences:
The steel is fatter, there is a curve them, and the holes do not pair up to the bike. But I had already spent $25 on them from eBay and I was going to make them work. It turned out to be easier than I thought.

I positioned them on the bike to curve around the passenger's ankle. I got a piece of rectangular steel and welded the bars onto them. At that point it was just a matter of putting them into the drill press and re-drilling the holes in the correct spots.

This added some thickness that I wasn't ready for. I went down to the local Carzone shop and had to get some metric bolts that were about ?†longer than the factory ones on the bike.

I taped off the bars and painted the new steel black. I bolted them on with some lock-tight to make sure they weren't coming loose and I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out.

They are very strong and sturdy. They come out to the edge of the bags and they don't interfere with my wife's feet. (that was the biggy.)

Enjoy the pictures of the end result. I have misplaced the pictures of the process but I am sure you get the idea.

Check out my albums for this and other mods that I have done on my bike.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Re: Tip over bars on the CHEAP

Congrats - those probably work better than any other design currently on the market with regards to room to the passenger pegs.

OP
OP
DakotaJoe

DakotaJoe

You can call me Scott
Bike
Honda ST1300
Re: Tip over bars on the CHEAP

I have been asked a couple of times if they interfere with the passenger's heels or the pegs. No, they do not. If anything, because of their curve, they go around the ankle and give you the room needed to slide your foot back so you aren't crowding the drivers feet.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Question, I was trying to look at the above pictures, and like a lot of pictures on the site, it goes to this.

Untitled-7.png

Any ideas?

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Hmmmmm if I refresh the error page instead of the main thread, the pictures actually load now. I think that was what you meant, I'm slow. LOL

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
:)
As long as it works...

I've seen it in IE too; but, don't know the *why* of it.

Bike
06 ST1300
Cool install. I was just cruzing through the site and saw this. It's timely as yesterday I tipped my bike on an innocent 1st gear, clutch slipping, full lock U-turn into a parking stall. And it had to be in front of a Yamaha dealer! Last year, my buddy fell off his Gold wing while parked and knocked my bike over on a gravel highway shoulder. The last time I did this was with a Honda 400 Hawk back in the 1970s. Are these bikes a bit top heavy or am I just getting old(er)?

Oh...my point...yeah...I have MCL tip over gaurds and needless to say they have more than paid for themselves. I don't know why Honda hasn't installed factory guards. Or am I (and my buddy) more clutsy than most?

Buy 'em or build 'em. The are worth the price of the bags.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Noticed that the bolt heads were painted (or repainted) in both installations. That's attention to detail!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I found these on e-bay I got a set for $26 can't wait to get them aand mount them up. I have tried the other ones available and they just didn't work with a passenger.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
wow, those look fantastic. I have been thinking about getting some too but as many of you the price is far to high for them. If i can find some of these I am doing this... now I just need a set to show up on ebay.
Thanks for posting this.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wasn't somebody here able to install some GW bars without any welding mods?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A number of us have mounted GL1800 rear bars on our ST1300s with no modification or welding necessary. It's just a matter of getting the bolt holes to line up.

Bike
2009 Suzuki Vstrom
wow, those look fantastic. I have been thinking about getting some too but as many of you the price is far to high for them. If i can find some of these I am doing this... now I just need a set to show up on ebay.
Thanks for posting this.
Theres loads on EBAY - I got mine 2 weeks ago for 25 bucks and 25 to ship to me in Canada..I'll post the link - they had a pile of them take offs from Wing conversions to trikes.. The user name is honda11racing , the guys name is Tim phone number 419-331-2333 Great to deal with and not a mark on my guards- brand new!

Last edited:
Top Bottom