Article [13] ST1300 - Tip over bars on the CHEAP

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I picked up a set of the Goldwing bars and I have a large vise, I'll have to give this a try!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I picked up a set of the Goldwing bars and I have a large vise, I'll have to give this a try!
Having looked at my bike and the bars I'm thinking they may go from a U-shape to an Omega with the Squeeze and Bolt method. There looks to be an inch difference between the hole centers. The guy I got my bars and pegs from looked at the bars bike and then me like my brain was on drugs.

Maybe just welding a strip of steel across the bars and drilling some holes as the OP did would be a good compromise. I'll have to re-read to see if he had any clearance problem with the bag and plastic.

I need your advise... I have a 2007 ST and am wondering if there is a particular Goldwing year or model that woul dbe compatible to my '07 ST?
Also, I am in Toronto Canada and our $$$ right now sucks so I wondering if you are aware of anyone that sells them on line cheap since you already have gone through this...
Thank you in advance...

peter.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought mine off ebay. They were for 01 to 16 GWs and I paid about $40, including shipping. Instead of bending them, I used Martin's adapters that he is now selling and after cleaning them up a bit, I mounted them on my bike and they are perfect!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Below is my adaptation on installing these bars. I have added it to this thread in case it is of any value to anyone considering a similar installation.

Firstly hats off to Dakotajoe for discovering this inexpensive and effective way of achieving a good result- well done.

I decided on a hybrid approach between Dave's (DDuelin) method of mounting them directly to the step frame and Modzuki's adapter plates. I didn't want them damaging the finish on the step frame and I didn't like the added bulk of the adapter plates.

I bought the bars from a trike conversion place for $40.00 CAD. I went with black bars because my bike is black. I used 3/16" stainless-steel flat washers because they were stainless and the 10 mm washers were not- the size difference is irrelevant. I also found some 10mm X 1.25 X 50mm JIS screws that were the perfect length for my application. These are easily available at Canadian Tire for any interested Canadians reading this.

I did not like the idea of the bars being bolted to the step frame with no support behind them in the bore where the Honda OEM bolts used to be. To resolve this I had some stainless-steel bushings made. They measure 0.700" diameter X 5/8" long with a 0.400" bore.

This picture gives an idea of how the parts will be assembled.

This picture shows what they look like mounted.

And a picture from a little further away to give some perspective.

There is currently a 1/8" gap between the bars and the step frame. This was intentional. It was to assure that the bars would not touch the step frame because I did not know how much they would distort when forcing them to align with the step-frame bolt holes. In the last two pictures you can see that the top of the bar is almost in contact with the step-frame despite the 1/8" gap. I may reduce this gap to bring the bars a little closer to the step frame at the attachment points- I haven't decided yet.

Last edited:

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Nice work fellows. I am currently adapting my GW bars and I like the bushes Andrew. I will do the bushes on mine.

So far I have welded my bars onto a contoured 6mm steel plate. Just getting a price now for Chrome plating the lot, or may powder coat. I think they will be terrific.

D

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have reloaded the pictures back in to post # 92 above due to a member expressing interest in them. I thought I would mention it in case they are of any help to anyone else.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
My friend here in LA converts GWs into Trikes as a side business. Guess its profitable to restore wrecks or old bikes into these

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The guy I got my bars from (yet to be installed LOL) has on occasion had an owner ride from the showroom to his shop on a brand new 'Wing and and eventually drive out on a trike. I wept a little on hearing that.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
My friend here in LA converts GWs into Trikes as a side business. Guess its profitable to restore wrecks or old bikes into these
Any chance of your friend making a pair available?

Sent by Tapatalk

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
My friend here in LA converts GWs into Trikes as a side business. Guess its profitable to restore wrecks or old bikes into these.

Any chance of your friend making a pair available?
You thinking giveaway? Joe can put up a pair of trikes for the February giveaway? Valentine month special?? One for the member and one for the spouse???

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A Pan European
Alright, I have the GL1800 tip over bars, but I have a different issue. The bar ends are too close together. I need to spread the bars. Of course, it's impossible for me to physically do that. I'm looking for suggestions on how to accomplish this. HELP! ....please :)
Use a car jack to open them.. preferably a hydraulic car jack

when forcing them to align with the step-frame bolt holes.
How did you get the holes to align?
I squeezed them together with a vice, until they touch but the holes are still a few mm too far apart. It seems that I need to get the bottom part closer to saddlebags. I have not been able to do that with the vice.
Thanks!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
How did you get the holes to align?
I squeezed them together with a vice, until they touch but the holes are still a few mm too far apart. It seems that I need to get the bottom part closer to saddlebags. I have not been able to do that with the vice.
Thanks!
I don't understand how the holes can be to far apart if the two ends of the bar are touching. The holes in the bars should to close together to match the holes in the step-frame under this condition.
If you look at the pictures of these mounted on my bike, see post 86 above, there is clearly a gap between the two ends of the bar. I have not heard of anyone ever having this problem.

What bars are you trying to install?
Are they rear saddlebag guards from a 2012 through 2018 Honda GL1800?
Are you installing them so that they curve forward towards the front of the motorcycle?

Procedure is as follows;
- Compress the two ends of the bar together using whatever method that you have available to you until they are the correct distance apart.
- After protecting the bars, install a couple of worm gear (radiator hose style) clamps and tighten them enough to hold the bars in place at this dimension.
- Install one step-frame bolt, do not tighten completely.
- Rotate the bar until the remaining hole aligns with the remaining step-frame bolt hole and install the second bolt.
- Torque both step-frame bolts to the specification.
- Repeat for the other side.

Note: Do not remove both step-frame bolts of the same side at the same time. This can allow the two frame members to move out of position relative to each other. It can sometimes be difficult to get them back in to alignment.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Luiswagner - Take a picture of the bars you're trying to install. I bet you haven't cut off the tab yet, that needs to be cut off before installation.

I don't understand how the holes can be to far apart if the two ends of the bar are touching. The holes in the bars should to close together to match the holes in the step-frame under this condition.
If you look at the pictures of these mounted on my bike, see post 86 above, there is clearly a gap between the two ends of the bar. I have not heard of anyone ever having this problem.

What bars are you trying to install?
Are they rear saddlebag guards from a 2012 through 2018 Honda GL1800?
Are you installing them so that they curve forward towards the front of the motorcycle?

Procedure is as follows;
- Compress the two ends of the bar together using whatever method that you have available to you until they are the correct distance apart.
- After protecting the bars, install a couple of worm gear (radiator hose style) clamps and tighten them enough to hold the bars in place at this dimension.
- Install one step-frame bolt, do not tighten completely.
- Rotate the bar until the remaining hole aligns with the remaining step-frame bolt hole and install the second bolt.
- Torque both step-frame bolts to the specification.
- Repeat for the other side.

Note: Do not remove both step-frame bolts of the same side at the same time. This can allow the two frame members to move out of position relative to each other. It can sometimes be difficult to get them back in to alignment.
Andrew,
Thank you for the detailed procedure!
I was able to install the left bar, but not the right one as they are a bit different ( I saw several pars at the GW trike shop here in Clearwater FL. They had many bars and all the right ones were a bit different than the left ones). I am trying to make the hole even larger, but it seems that everyone else has not needed to do that. The holes have to be 1.5 inches apart to align. The holes on the right bar are 1.75 apart after the two ends touch.
20210921_222315.jpg20210921_222136.jpg20211009_230710.jpg20211009_230521.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom