Article [13] ST1300 - Saddlebag detachable power (Marker/Turn signals)

DakotaJoe

You can call me Scott
Bike
Honda ST1300
I love being seen. The first time I passed a friend at night he commented on my visibility. (Not a whole lot for such a big bike) I have worked on multiple ways to increase that ever since. Here is way number 304. :)

The saddle bags are the widest part of the bike (except maybe the mirrors, but I already did those on another mod) and they should be lit up. Since I plan on marker lights as well as turn signals, I need a plug that has 3 connections. I chose the audio XLR plug for this. Got the plugs from eBay for a total of about $8. (bulk, now I got too many of some)

I am not one to remove my bags but in truth, I have needed to on occasion and I was glad that I powered them in such a way as I could ?un-plug? them quickly. I wanted this plug out of the way but still accessible. (See pictures for location.)

I didn?t want screw and because I love my hot glue gun and it spits out glue so hot it nearly melts what I drip it on, it was the perfect way to hook the 90 degree XLRs to the bags.

I ran the wires against the inside once again using the hot glue and made sure to make a small loop or extra bit, in between the bag halves so I could open and close them without ripping the wire.

I used a common ground and one wire for marker lights and one for turn signals. For my lights, I used the flexible LED red strips from Walley World (for the marker lights) and I got this weird chrome windshield washer sprayer housing with a red LED in it from the local Carzone shop to use as a blinker.

I stuck the long strip light along the black edge of the paint/plastic division line on the bag and did a 90 around the corner of the bag. This way the marker light can be seen from the side and rear. I did have a problem with the strip adhering to the corner. Monkey glue to the rescue. I drilled a small hole in the side of the bag to bring the wires from the strip into the inside of the bag.

For the turn signal, I just drilled a hole and put the chrome housing into it and cut tight fitting washers out of plastic and used the glue gun to ensure a tight connection. Again, I just attached the wires to the side of the bag with the hot glue. That silver heat tape is also very good for this but I just went with the hot glue.

I attached quick connects to the bike side wiring at the marker and turn signals and ran down the insides over the wheel well under the seat and out near the passenger foot peg. There I soldered the 90 degree female XLR connector. These will dangle if not attached to the bag. So, either hook em up or tie em up. I leave mine connected to the bags for the most part.

At this point, you are pretty much done. You connect and disconnect as needed. The wires are not seen but I am. Just the way I like it.

Check out all of the pictures in my albums and see other mods that I have posted there.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I like it a lot!
Given me an idea or two....

Actually Just been through your gallery of pics of Farkels and am happy to add that you obviously have a warped passion for this type of thing...join the club... or should I say can I join the club...?:D NICE!!!

SoCalST8

Vendor
Bike
ST1300, ST1100, R1
Thanks for the write up! I have finally bought all the materials and will do the same install soon!

Top Bottom