Article [11] ST1100 - Tip-Over Wing LED's

A couple of months back, my BIL found instructions on line for installing LED?s on the tip-over wings on his BMW 1200LT. These LED?s would function as running lights and also operate in ?wig-wag? fashion with the stock turn signals. We went ahead and installed those, and both of us were quite pleased with the results.

I have taken those instructions (which can be found here) and used them as a guide to install LED?s on my ST1100 tip-over wings. I used the template the document supplies on page 18 for the layout of 16 3mm yellow LED?s. Because BMW uses a two wire turn signal/running lights configuration, compared to the three wire configuration used by the ST, I configured the forward facing 12 LED?s to operate as running lights, and the rearward facing 4 LED?s as turn signal indicators. Additionally, I also made two other variations from the instructions for my installation. Instead of using a load resistor on each LED, I used this LED Calculator to configure the parallel/series circuits shown below.

12-LED Layout

4-LED Layout

Also, instead of filling the tip-over wing with silicon for insulating purposes, I used Silicone Conformal Coating. Using the conformal coating would allow for easier removal and repair if an LED or two should happen to fail.

After installing the LED?s in the tip-over wings, I used three pin (1-running lights, 2-turn signal, 3-ground) male/female Molex connectors for the disconnect needed to remove the tip-over wings from the bike. I installed shrink tubing on the wires and routed them along the frame, following the factory wiring harness, and made the final connections at the front, mirror mounted turn signals.

Below are some photos showing the various stages of the installation and the final result. Please feel free to contact me for any additional information or questions you may have. Also, if there is anyone out there who would like to do this, but is uncertain of their soldering skills, please drop me a PM and I would be happy to work out a way that I could assist you.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Re: ST1100-Tip-Over Wing LED?s

That looks quite cool.... I may just have to do that..... nice....:yes:

DixieFlyer

Terry Melton
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

Excellent mod. Thanks for sharing, expecially the photos. Looks like something for some of us to occupy our time during the winter weather downtime.
Rgds,
Terry

OP
OP
AZ711

Looks very cool :yes:

One question- what happens when you drop the bike? Crunch?
What? Drop the bike? Oh, that never happens, does it?:confused::eek::

I would think in the event of a minor incident, where the tip-over wing survives, it should be easy to just replace the damaged LED's in that area. Another suggestion would be to just skip/leave out the LED's in that contact area.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

What's a BIL?
Brother In Law... not to be confused with someone's brother that is also a LEO.. not to be confused with astrological signs.. :rofl1:

Bike
ST1100
STOC #

Nice mod AZ711
How about making the rear facing four into brake lights?
I may just have a go at that.

OP
OP
AZ711

Nice mod AZ711
How about making the rear facing four into brake lights?
I may just have a go at that.
Absolutely, that is what we ultimately ended up doing to my brother in laws BMW 1200LT. The rearward facing LEDs were changed to red and tied to the brake lights. They show up very well from the rear on the BMW.

Another idea for the rear ward facing LED's, is to set them up as sequential turn signals similar to what was used on the early model Ford Thunderbird, and Mercury Cougar. I found on line some build it yourself kits for sequencing LED's that were selling for $12 to $15US. I think that would be very unique for a motorcycle.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #

That is an awesome farkle. I will be doing this mod this coming winter! FANTASTIC!

BROCCOLI

GOD I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS !
Bike
03 ST 1100-P
STOC #
Re: ST1100 - Tip-Over Wing LED?s

All kindsa goodie's and ideas, I've gotta keep searching on this 'ol 'puter thingie I have no life as my '03 1100-p's been laid up for coming on :banghead:3 month's the good new's supposedly is she's getting :law2:paroled out of the:sick1: hospital next Tuesday night (late) or early Wednesday morn -AAAHHHH , I can just about taste it now

:hyp1:~TWITCH~:22yikes: t.c.

Bike
2002 ST1100
STOC #
I almost did this when I installed LEDs after my paint job, but didn't see a good way to do it with the Highway Blades. Nice job though. It looks fantastic!

Top Bottom