Article [13] ST1300 - Complete Audio System Install

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
Introduction. This is a farkle I realized just a year ago. I mounted what I was finding in traditional market due to I don't like to buy in internet exceptions apart. The wiring is completely DIY, i.e. no quartet harness was used.

1st Part: the speakers. I bought the best I found: a couple of 4" Infinity 4022i, 2 vias, 4 Ohms, 35 w. RMS and 92 db. Price: $105. In order to install them, I removed gauges panel. It is necessary to release 4 rivets on upper and lateral sides, 4 screws on the corners, 4 on the base (inside the fairing pockets) and another one inside both mirrors (the highest out of 3). Mirror housings can be removed giving a sharp pull out. Furthermore, two plugs must be unplugged; I also removed the windshield for better working, but really it's not necessary.

Speakers are screwed to the OEM Honda boxes (price: $10) and fixed to frame by straps. I made a hole in the fairing pocket in order to drive wires into it.

2nd Part: the wiring. I obtained power from fuse box. Seat, saddlebag and left panel are removed loosening three screws.

The output of the fuse that protects the primary circuit of lights seems to be very good, since it works after key. To find the entry or exit of a fuse, it is removed and the output corresponds to the terminal that has no power. Thus the new wire is protected by a fuse.

I connect this wire to a relay, which closes the primary circuit and launches a new line -also protected by a fuse- which comes from the battery and goes to the fairing pocket. Using a relay is better for several reasons:

• Only a bit of power needed to activate it.
  • New line from battery allows future farkles connected when necessary.

The technical data of these components are: relay up to 200 w. consumption, silicone-dressed wire and 15 amp fuse (up to 180 w. consumption).

New wire is driven under fuel tank for which I picked it up, releasing two front screws and loosening the base to move it back to allow it. In areas in which may be a little more exposed, I wrap the wire in a rubber hose for extra strength.

Positive wire reaches fairing pocket. I get negative pole from frame and fix also at this point the negative wiring of the electronic aerial.

Wires are connected by plugs that can be released simply by pulling. With key in its normal position, I have power.

Test with lights on and it seems everything is in order. Finally, I put all the elements in place and give the aerial its final location.

OEM Honda rivet is replaced by a standard one for better fixing. Wiring is waiting for sound source.

3rd Part: CD radio. I bought the following:

• Pioneer CD car radio DEH-2200UB with USB port in front and remote control port in rear. Price: $175.
  • Wired remote control Sony RM-X4S. Price: $54.

This radio requires 2 positive wires: one after key and another permanent one to keep presets and other preferences, so I drove another positive wire parallel to first one, but plugged directly to relay (battery plug); remember that this wire was protected by a fuse.

Testing new wire:

I connect all the wires and place car radio into fairing pocket:

And remote control:

Result. I ride around 70-80 mph because I prefer to enjoy the scenery listening to music meanwhile. I've filled a flash drive with more than 1000 tracks in MP3 format with my music and riding now is much better than before, so I can say installation has been fully successful.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300-Installing a complete audio system

Super nice and professional job Carolus! Enjoy...

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300

Thanks, 2thdr; here's the relay schematic for better understanding:

Last edited:
Bike
'05 ST1300A

Did you do anything special to the dash to allow the sound to come through, or does it do okay behind the plastic?

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300

Sorry, Desert_Rider, for being waiting. Nothing special at all; sound comes through the dash with no problem. It?s very important you get the best speakers you can and don?t forget the OEM Honda boxes for better sound...

Last edited:
Re: ST1300 - Installing a complete audio system

Hi Carolus,

It seems the picture's link died. Would you please do me a favor re-upload?
I bought an Pioneer 2200U and planned to setup to my ST as well. Your post are valuable for me.
Thanks,

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
Re: ST1300 - Installing a complete audio system

Maybe you've got a problem with Imageshack's server since I see all the pictures OK, are you posting from Vietnam? Anyway, I've saved the whole thread -pictures included- for you and loaded it up to Megaupload, here's the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y3FQID51

Good luck!

Yes, I am from Vietnam. It shows "domain is not registered" on pictures.
I will download them from Megaupload. Thanks for sharing and very clear explaination.

Bike
St 1300 2005

No problem hearing the speakers as long as you have 30 wats or more constant power available from your head unit and speakers that can handle the power .

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
That's right; I'm enjoying music for 2 years at the moment due to system is always on and, of course, no problems at all...

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Documentation is terrific- thanks!

You might take a look in the Pioneer manual and see what that standby power draw is. I'm sure you know how anemic the stock ST battery is- so without a Tender of some kind, you might do a little back-of-an-envelope math about how many days you can leave it parked, before you have excess voltage drop for a healthy start.

BTW, just because a bike (or car) starts, doesn't mean its a "healthy" start- a full power, decisive start is best for a healthy starter and battery. Even a 0.5 volt drop is a huge loss of power. I'm in the battery business and everything I have learned says for the very best life & reliability; keep your battery(ies) topped off all the time. It's easy, inexpensive and saves you money (and anxiety from an untimely failure) in the long run.

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
Thanks for your explanation and advices; my experience is that consumption is only a little bit during standby, the bike has been parked up to five weeks and started at first attempt (fortunately living in a not cold place is a bonus with this matter)...

Bike
2008 ST 1300
Im in urgent need of the OEM Boxes! I have the bike apart thinking I could fabricate something. Where can I get the OEM boxes?

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
I bought them at Honda dealer in my town. These are the references:

Right box: 08A54-MC8-80001
Left box: 08A54-MC8-80002

They are different obviously. This is one of them:

Last edited:
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I bought them at Honda dealer in my town. These are the references:

Right box: 08A54-MC8-80001
Left box: 08A54-MC8-80002

They are different obviously. This is one of them:

Can you still get the boxes in Spain? and would you be able to buy them and let me Paypal you the money + shipping to Canada?

Top Bottom