Article [13] ST1300 - Complete Audio System Install

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
Anyway, you can get a pair of DIY ones by building them from a juice or milk tetra brick (I hope have been understood) and you'll get an advantage since you can drill a bigger inner hole and maybe put inside a bigger speaker -5'' or 4.5'' if found instead of 4''- so sound will be very much better*...

(*) Make a test prior for exact measures.

Last edited:

fmc

I just bought a used ST 06, do you know what the minum battery voltage should be at no load and at start up, I think the battery is 6 years old and might need replacing.
Thanks
Mac

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
No load and resting if you're under 12.4 I'd put it on a tender.
While cranking you'd like to see 10.6 or more.

Sometimes you get a warning with a clock reset while cranking if the voltage dips too low and the battery is either not charged or lost its capacity from age.

The no load resting voltage gives you some idea about the state of charge but doesn't tell you the capacity of the battery to deliver current. The load test will.

Since you sound like you're new to the ST...
Keep a second key on you of the bike. If you need a jump you'll need the second key to put the bike back together while it's running.

The OEM keys are kind of cheesy. Get some spares made up. ilco x265 iirc or curtis hd109 blanks. Breaking your key off in the gas cap or ignition is a royal pita.

Last edited:
Carolus
I need audio and your installation appears to be exactly what I need to enjoy the ride a little more. After reviewing your information can you help with the following:
1) where did you get the antenna

2) OEM Honda Boxes

3) 200w relay

I have someone more mechanical than I am. "Be sure you have all the parts before we start"

STOC #
I had the mine run from quartet harness and with usb/mp3 pioneer deck. Using the original honda sound box too. It works great! 6 years and 2nd changed of deck when my first one from china went out of warranty. Had installed bmw antenna on my front left cowl...and it does looks good!

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
(...) can you help (...)
Dear Tom: I'll try to answer your questions:

1) Antenna: any electronic antenna will be ok since no need to take place on a metal base, e.g. aerials for sport cars with plastic body or any other from bikes that mount audio system from factory (BMW, Triumph...). I got mine from a generic electronic supplier.

2) OEM Honda Boxes. I'm told it's hard to get them in the States but try to do it from Internet (look at posts #16~25).

3) 200w relay. No need to reach 200w. Look at the back of your deck because there will be a plate with specifications (mine is 100 or 110 w consumption if I'm not wrong).

Hope this comments gonna help you.

Best regards,

Juan Carlos

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
I?ve just reloaded all missing pictures for better clearness.

Here is a video riding through a freeway. Speed is exactly 75 mi/h:

[video=youtube;239CtbKx7-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=239CtbKx7-Y[/video]

Remarks: Corredor del Cadagua means Cadagua Drive (Cadagua is a river).

Carlos, thanks for your response,

I am determined to install this Pioneer radio system that I have purchased along with the Infinity Speakers as soon as I can get all the parts. Found one right speaker box at (http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk) and ordered it. But still can't find the left box (Honda has discontinued them). I have a 2007 ST1300 and behind the right panel where the speaker should be installed is a round cylinder (looks like the top of a shock) takes up most of the space where the speaker should be installed. Don't think a speaker box will fit. The left side is open as your pics show and easily fit a speaker box, not the same as the right side. I have put all the parts back together now, waiting on the boxes. When I open it up again I will take some pics and post them.

OP
OP
Carolus

Carolus

One STep beyond
Bike
2003 ST1300
Tom, is your bike a second hand one or did you buy it new? This round cylinder can be a second or a greater horn or whatever prior owner installed in case of an used ST. Mine is from 2003 and I confirm that there is the same room on both sides.

Hope owners of recent models confirm the same...

Good luck!!

STOC #
I have a 2007 ST1300 and behind the right panel where the speaker should be installed is a round cylinder (looks like the top of a shock) takes up most of the space where the speaker should be installed.
Does your ST have an aftermarket cruise control installed? If so, that round cylinder may be either the cruise control "brain" component, or the vacuum canister that is often installed with aftermarket cruise control. On my ST, it was installed behind the left panel, but it could have easily been put on the right instead. It might also be an aftermarket air horn as Carolus mentioned.

My garmin 660 has 1000 mp3,s on it connects to my phone and is hard wired to earbuds.
leaves both boxes free at the front and allows me to hear directions whilst not bothering anyone else with my bad taste in music.
Any decent speed will distort the sound to hell on a audio system at 70mph which i dont really see the point in.
If you are trying to listen to music at 70mph not only are you screwing up your ears from wind noise but you are also seriously affecting
the quality of music its kind of like buying earbuds from poundland. Nothing better in this world than great sounding music and a motorbike

Last edited:
Not if think outside the box!...but yes you WILL annoy EVERYBODY! lol....
Thats nuts. Years back i thought about similar with the sub set in a spare top box however on a pan that spare will set you back ?300.
I also thought about making a back box that splits with a jet turbine inside so when someone is giving it at the lights you press a button
the box splits with a loud beeping noise and the jet turbine fires up just for ****s and giggles

Not if think outside the box!...but yes you WILL annoy EVERYBODY! lol....
New ideas. I made a ply shelf that when you remove the topbox will slot in its place from the seat side and a bolt will hold it. For audio buy a xpedition 8 480w disco speaker and strap it on.What whattage are your speakers? I gave up on the extra lights and installed a pair of led novsight around £22 from amazon and the power is awesome. also installed a rear shelf below the mudguard and modified the underseat for more storage and direct bulb access. i have a video. doesnt show the speaker though.

Top Bottom