Low Cost TPMS - Is it worth bothering with?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It depends on what valve stems you have. Putting any weight on the end of the oem ones will cause them to bend and some have lost tire pressure rapidly - sorta defeats the purpose.

If you have some of the airete 90 degree stems, they should be fine.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
There are many clones out there now of the TireGard system, all have this remote display. Where do you get sensors if you lose or break one or the batteries die? I say forget it, buy one that is serviceable. For a wee bit more, get the more professional Doran, but not direct from them. Buy it at Wingstuff, free shipping.

OP
OP
Jeff F
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Thanks guys.

Yes Joe I do have the airete 90 degree stems. This is a tempting offer but I've noticed in other posts, as Ray mentioned, that some have had problems with various brands. `Skeered to jump ;-)

Bike
2010 ST1300
I use one of these low end 'Tyre-Pal' type TPMS and never has it missed a beat. Very accurate as checked with 2 x digital gauges. Replacement sensors are not available individually from the dealer as the sensor and the fob unit are pre-matched - hardly expensive though. The first set failed but the warranty is solid and the whole set was changed out by the dealer who sent me the replacement set before I even posted the first back to him no argument, no postage charge, no problem. Since then the system has performed flawlessly and has made riding and getting ready to ride much more relaxed. Must have hard valve stems though. They only weigh 11 grammes each but even that at speed can upset things and break a rubber stem. Watch out for the fob unit though they are not waterproof.

http://www.tyrepal.co.uk/tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-applications/tpms-for-bikes

Bike
'93 ST1100
Just installed same unit (but the black version), and so far seems great. Will update as the months go on.

Same as shown here, (or in Part Unlimited/Drag Specialties catalog):
http://www.goldwingcycleparts.com/ecom/product/104/2185/

The difference between something like this and a unit like the Doran are many.

This unit is user serviceable, so simply pop in a $2 CR2032 battery in sensor every couple years instead of spending $40+ (shipped) for Doran non-user serviceable sensors. Cheap version is made by Cosworth (internal circuit board), and no clue as to replacements or interchangeability.

This unit displays temperature as well, and both temperature and pressure seem very accurate. Doran has no temperature readings.

Alarms are adjusted by actual value, not a baseline with percent of change. Hi/Low pressure + Hi temp alarm. Not sure how Doran works, but it does update only every 6 minutes (instantly if a drastic change occurs, I think). This unit seems to update every minute or two, and also instant with loss that exceeds alarm settings. Screen updates regardless of tire motion.

The Doran display is waterproof, while I assume this low cost version is not. I have been using a car non-waterproof TomTom for a few years now on the bike, and never any wet issues, even though we live in a very wet state. Keep a ziplock baggy and velcro within quick reach to cover in the event bad weather hits. I used Velcro for the this cheap TPMS. My cheap alarm system uses a similar remote display, and zero issues after 5 years of using that cheap display.

Buttons on the low cost would not be easy to use with gloves. Doran probably better.

The low cost unit is 100% portable, so can quickly move sensors to a trailer that you might happen to use to haul your bike one time.

The display is portable with good range. I watched my tires air pressure and temperature change last night from my recliner, while bike was in garage 30 feet away.

Biggest issue I have with Doran are the $40 sensors that you must replace when battery fails. Many reports of failure within a year or two, no where close to advertised. And the portability is a plus on the cheap unit. Plus temperature. Looks like a winner to me, as long as it holds up.

This cheap unit will save you at least 25% in initial cost, and perhaps much more over it's life compared to the Doran.

As to added safety? Of course TPMS makes riding MUCH safer.
Running Ride-On in tires here.
Left a RTE, hit the Interstate for 45 minutes, normally cruising at 75 to 90, 2-up.
Stopped at an exit after a short burst of 90+ for a wife bathroom break.
Bike would not go on sidestand.
Rear was almost flat and went flat within a couple minutes.
A drill bit entered tire outside the narrow width the Ride-On protected.
Had we continued another mile or two on the Interstate, it would not have been as lucky results.
TPMS would have alerted us long before safety was an issue.
Of course if a leak is noticed before it goes too low, this will also help save the tire better, as less damage will occur. Saves you money!

Another low cost unit that intrigued me is available at Amazon and elsewhere for a little less.
http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronic-P409S-Retrofit-Monitoring/dp/B002DYH586/
Supposed to be a new Motorcycle version out May 1st, P408S.
Even this car version could work for many riders, similar to how a car GPS works on a bike.
As long as the screen is good in bright sunlight.
Replaceable sensors with same issue as Doran, must replace when battery dies.
But seems like excellent support and following..

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I just put a TireGard on my OTST (Other than ST). I chose this over the Doran for a couple of reasons. Primarily the user replaceable batteries and the small size of the display unit. There's just no reason for the Doran display unit to be the size of a Wendy's Triple Hamburger . The TireGard displays the same data in a unit about 1/8th the size. In a car, or on a fully faired bike, the size maybe isn't as big a deal, but it's still unnecessary.

So far, the TG seems to work just fine. It would be nice if the display were waterproof, and could be hardwired, but I can live with those limitations. And yes, I put metal stems on, too.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Just installed same unit (but the black version), and so far seems great. Will update as the months go on.

Same as shown here, (or in Part Unlimited/Drag Specialties catalog):
http://www.goldwingcycleparts.com/ecom/product/104/2185/

The difference between something like this and a unit like the Doran are many.

This unit is user serviceable, so simply pop in a $2 CR2032 battery in sensor every couple years instead of spending $40+ (shipped) for Doran non-user serviceable sensors. Cheap version is made by Cosworth (internal circuit board), and no clue as to replacements or interchangeability.

This unit displays temperature as well, and both temperature and pressure seem very accurate. Doran has no temperature readings.

Alarms are adjusted by actual value, not a baseline with percent of change. Hi/Low pressure + Hi temp alarm. Not sure how Doran works, but it does update only every 6 minutes (instantly if a drastic change occurs, I think). This unit seems to update every minute or two, and also instant with loss that exceeds alarm settings. Screen updates regardless of tire motion.

The Doran display is waterproof, while I assume this low cost version is not. I have been using a car non-waterproof TomTom for a few years now on the bike, and never any wet issues, even though we live in a very wet state. Keep a ziplock baggy and velcro within quick reach to cover in the event bad weather hits. I used Velcro for the this cheap TPMS. My cheap alarm system uses a similar remote display, and zero issues after 5 years of using that cheap display.

Buttons on the low cost would not be easy to use with gloves. Doran probably better.

The low cost unit is 100% portable, so can quickly move sensors to a trailer that you might happen to use to haul your bike one time.

The display is portable with good range. I watched my tires air pressure and temperature change last night from my recliner, while bike was in garage 30 feet away.

Biggest issue I have with Doran are the $40 sensors that you must replace when battery fails. Many reports of failure within a year or two, no where close to advertised. And the portability is a plus on the cheap unit. Plus temperature. Looks like a winner to me, as long as it holds up.

This cheap unit will save you at least 25% in initial cost, and perhaps much more over it's life compared to the Doran.

UPDATE after nearly two years of having this cheap unit installed in the bike, and only thing I can add is the factory batteries on the sensors just both went bad at the same time. $2.00 for common batteries and 5 minutes later all is working perfect again. Zero issues. Has worked perfect for the past 22 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff F
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Thx for the update.

Do you know if it would it work with 90? valve stems?

This line was snipped from your link ( Gold Wings Parts) ... "Note: requires the original valve stem and clip for the bike." Not sure what that means (?)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Jeff F and Rob, these TMPSs you've linked to are the same units, with only color being the difference? At $90, I might jump.

I've got "...the original valve stems" but will be installing the SloBoy version at some point.

OP
OP
Jeff F
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Jeff F and Rob, these TMPSs you've linked to are the same units, with only color being the difference? At $90, I might jump.

I've got "...the original valve stems" but will be installing the SloBoy version at some point.
Ha! Sure looks like it - I didn't realize that - I started this thread 2 years ago. Princess Auto is the Canuck version of Harbor Freight.

EDIT: If you read some of the small print in that link you see that that item is no longer available. I called them for us anyway ... they confirm they have no inventory for that item and they "don't have a replacement SKU at this time". $90 versus $150 (or whatever it was) on the GoldWing site - shoulda jumped but was concerned it was cheap and would fail.

Last edited:

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

Where do you see it for $90? The Princess Auto link says unavailable.

OP
OP
Jeff F
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
It came from my original post 2 years ago

I've noticed a lot of old threads being dredged up lately :shrug2:

Bike
'93 ST1100
Old threads coming up again could be a good thing!
Seems with most threads, only posts that complain about issues rise to the top and are regularly updated.

Sometimes it is good to point out in old threads that things are still working 100% as they should.
Might prevent some of the other type of threads from users that bought things that keep breaking.

While I bought my Low Cost TPMS for less, I would easily pay $160 for one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff F
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Old threads coming up again could be a good thing!
Seems with most threads, only posts that complain about issues rise to the top and are regularly updated.

Sometimes it is good to point out in old threads that things are still working 100% as they should.
Might prevent some of the other type of threads from users that bought things that keep breaking.
Good points sir. :yes:

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Call RealST (Larry) if your looking for a TPMS.
TEMP and PRESSURE right in your face real time.
I have one and love it. A tire pressure gauge is a thing of the past for me.
43psi in the rear 45 psi in the front cold. When they are to temp, pressure is 48 in the rear and 48 in the front driving in Feburary.
Pressure goes up to 54 in the rear and 52 in the front in the summer time. Fun to watch this as your driving in different conditions.
Temp varies, but it is fun to watch also. A good pastime.
Orange TPMS makes them.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No Orange, no Doran for me.

I don't like the internal sensors. I'll still have to fight to put air in a straight stem. Can I replace the battery in an Orange sensor. Either way, I'll have to break down the tire which could be inconvenient at best.

That TMPS that Jeff and Rob linked to has a display that can be attached with Velcro to a convenient spot if desired, such as a pocket door. I think that's what I'll try.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
To each is own,
Remember,nothing last forever,tires $300 bucks, oil changes $50 bucks with premium oil, gas $25 bucks a fill up.TMPS every couple years $135.
Air in your tires is just as important as the above, so dollars don't matter to me while I'm pulling a trailer if it has safety attached to it.
I have had a blow out pulling a trailer and I'm doing everything in my power never to have another one. TPMS is one of the devices that I have added to my arsenal of prevention devices.

Top Bottom