Low Cost TPMS - Is it worth bothering with?

Bike
'93 ST1100
Update after 3 years.

This cheap sensor might have just saved our lives.
Riding 2-up, pulled onto busy hi-speed interstate after dark and it started flashing a few seconds later.
Saw rear pressure flashing 34psi (where I have it set to warn), then slowing dropping.
Luckily next exit was only a mile away.
Safely pulled off Interstate into a well lit area with 12psi left in tire.

This unit has both audible and visual warning, but I can not hear the warning a speed, so in this case, being dark helped. I have a habit of glancing at the unit velcro'd between handle bars every minute or so during daylight, and am anal about watching tire pressures, but might run an external LED to top of windscreen for easier to see warning during daylight hours.

If you don't have the cash for a hi-end unit, get something, even a low cost unit. You will have a flat.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Unfortunately the original links no longer work. Do you have a current link?

Preferably I would like a display that can be hard wired, but if the price is right I might be flexible on that. I'm still doing research, hope to buy one in a few weeks.

I had Orange TPMS for about 8 months before it failed. At the 2nd tire change the front stopped working and the rear stopped working at 3rd tire change. I think the tire installer accidentally damaged the senors. I tried contacting Orange in USA (Jung 2013) and the call went straight to voice mail saying mail box is full. I then contacted Orange in Taiwan and inquired of purchasing the sensors. The reply I got was "Do you know anyone in Korea, who wants to be the distributor for our products.) The company said nothing about how to go about purchasing the sensors.

After having plugged my tire (another dreaded nail), I really wanted to keep an eye on the tire pressure. I decided to go with the automobile version (Tyredog), first I tried TD1400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2013-TPMS-TD1400A-X-Tyredog-Tyre-Tire-Pressure-Wireless-Monitoring-System-/290992534559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c081b41f

Good point with this model is that it has a voltmeter and color. The bad point is the color screen was unreadable during daylight hours. Another bad point was it has to be powered by a 12 volt source.

I than exchanged the unit for Tyredog TD1000A, which is an older model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPMS-TD1000A-X-Whistler-Tyredog-Tyre-Pressure-Monitor-System-Measures-up-60-PSI-/111171001176?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e24edb58

The receiver/monitor is bigger and can see the screen clearly, even on the sunniest day. The monitor can either be powered by 2AAA battery or a 12 volt battery source.

I will most likely stick with external TPMS in the future.
1. Fear of damaging the sensor during tire change.
2. Able to replace the batteries in the sensors.

Automobile version comes with 4 sensors instead of 2 when compared to motorcycle version. The screen is bigger, and I can theoretically monitor 2 motorcycle at once going down the road.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The screen is bigger, and I can theoretically monitor 2 motorcycle at once going down the road.
Or a trailer?

I'm entering my third year of happiness of an Orange TPMS. I did have one sensor die but I attribute it to battery. Sucks they are sealed.
But I did get a response from the inquiry to buy a replacement unit. But at $45 dollar apiece...

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The TireGard 13-318 handlebar mount unit was easy to install on my metal valve stems and on the handlebar. The initial setup was simple and there is no need to check tire pressures anymore as they are displayed before and while riding. Detecting a slow leak and stopping could save the cost of a new tire. The handlebar mount is made of plastic and should not be over-tightened nor should the clip on the back of the unit be forced when removing for storage. Other reviewers have reported failures with rubber valve stems or have broken the handlebar mount during installation. The sensors use 1632 button batteries (easily replaceable) and the wireless receiver contains one AAA battery. I'm happy with this TPMS and it gives me peace of mind while riding.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hawkshead TPMS here on all three ST1100s. Works like a champ, head is waterproof, small and the charge lasts a long time, and you can change the battery in the sensors. They have saved my butt on trips several times.

UPDATE after nearly two years of having this cheap unit installed in the bike, and only thing I can add is the factory batteries on the sensors just both went bad at the same time. $2.00 for common batteries and 5 minutes later all is working perfect again. Zero issues. Has worked perfect for the past 22 months.
Whats the weight of the caps that screw onto the valve stems? Balance issues with the wheel?

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
The external sensors are 6.55 grams, or 0.230 oz, according to my digital scale. I balance my own wheels and could not detect the addition of the sensor or feel it while riding at any speed.

I just got my latest set of motorcycle TPMS, external sensors this week, haven't mounted them yet. $49.

Top Bottom