Valve Adjustment-2006 ST1300

PilotDave

Dave Wilson
Bike
ST1300 - 2006
STOC #
I am coming up on 16k miles. A valve clearance inspection is called for. Our shop charges $100/hr. How many hours, in your experience, should this activity take? Is it really necessary at this low mileage? What are the issues? Thanks. Dave Wilson

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I am coming up on 16k miles. A valve clearance inspection is called for. Our shop charges $100/hr. How many hours, in your experience, should this activity take? Is it really necessary at this low mileage? What are the issues? Thanks. Dave Wilson
Just for your info, I had to change 3 shims at my 16k mile check. Only one shim since then. (90k now mile) (I report you decide) If you have the shop do it make them give you the readings in writing. This way you have an idea that it was done.

Last edited:

RCS

A valve clearance check takes me 5 hours total. It may take a shop 3-4. If shims need to be changed that takes me 2-3 hours. It may take a shop 1-2 hours. Is it necessary? For me it was. At my first valve check at 16,000 miles I needed to change one shim as the valve clearance was too tight. If I didn't do the valve check, shim change I'm not sure what would have happened. Maybe the clearance would have been so low that after a while the exhaust valve wouldn't have closed fully during the compression stroke?

I would do it. I second the recommendation to have the shop give you the clearance measurements so you will know how they've changed on your 32,000 mile valve clearance check.

If you're a risk taker, there was a poll done on this site a while ago that found only about 20 percent of owners needed to do a shim change on their first valve clearance check...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You know, Dave, you're not too far from me, and it's been awhile since we had a tech get-together here in DC. If I can find a place to hold it, valve checks are easy.

--Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The most important checks are the first two. One to establish a baseline and the second should show if you have movement toward tightening clearance in any one valve. Shim under bucket valves don't usually get looser - as the valve train wears the clearance tightens up. Tight valves don't get enough time against the valve seat to cool off properly and may burn which as been pointed out is an expensive repair. I recall that Honda gets 7.5 hours shop time for a valve adjustment.

I wouldn't suggest skipping any valve check but for sure the first two aren't the ones to skip. I stretch mine out a little and check mine about about 20K intervals. I did not need to shim any until 86,000 miles but plenty of owners have had to shim one or more at 16,000.

OP
OP
PilotDave

PilotDave

Dave Wilson
Bike
ST1300 - 2006
STOC #
You know, Dave, you're not too far from me, and it's been awhile since we had a tech get-together here in DC. If I can find a place to hold it, valve checks are easy.

--Mark
Thanks Mark. It seems that this thread suggests about a 4 hour period. I know that some plastic has to come off.

TommyB

Silver Bullet
Bike
Silver 2007 ST1300A
STOC #
My 2007 was at 32k & had the full workup including valve clearance check. All was within range. <1k later I hear what sounds like a valve tick at idle that goes away at slightly higher RPMs. Any ideas?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
If Dave agrees, his location would be more to my liking. NOVA is NOFUN to drive/ride Of course, this assumes a time is selected which suits my schedule..
I think I waited until about 26K miles to check mine (did it myself) ... have about 58K miles now on my 2006A.

Last edited:
Top Bottom