Tools to remove Alternator?

Bike
ST1300 '08
As I have to order another Haynes, as the first one mysteriously wasn't avaiable after I paid for it on Fleabay, can someone help with the following.

I need a list of tools that I will definitly need in order to get the alternator off my '99 ST11.:tools1:

I'll be carrying out the job in my work's warehouse where there is plenty of room, as my garage only just fits the bike.:wink: I will need take all the required tools there with me, and as it is 18 miles from the house, I'd like to make sure I've got everything.:confused:

I'll be taking the usual socket set, spanners, Hex keys, screwdrivers, and the ever essential HAMMER.:hamburger (Sorry,couldn't find a hammer!!!
Apart from the swing arm tool, what else will I need? I don't want everything grinding to a halt, 'cause I havn't got a torx screwdriver or something.

All assistance and advise will be greatly appreciated.:ukflag1:

Last edited:
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
It's not difficult at all, just tedious and time consuming. Having all of the proper tools definitely saves time. I don't think I'd ever want to do the job again, but I could if I had to. The only two tools I REALLY needed were the 17mm Hex (Allen) bit and the crown nut tool for the swing arm. The Lewis pin for getting the drive gear in was pretty damn valuable, too.

One caution, if you're going to remove the alternator to have it serviced or replaced, be careful not to pull the base out of the engine block! If you do, and you don't have access to something like the Lewis pin, you'll likely need to drop the oil pan to get the drive gears meshed.

MSGulfCoaST

SMTTT
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Re: Tool time?

I've got the toolkit which is available from over on the ST-Riders site if you sign up for it. It really is worth the $10 of shipping with all the good stuff included.

I've got that list too.. as I'm digging into my '95 this weekend for my 40amper upgrade.
Brendan

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
Re: Tool time?

Thanks for the offer, MSGulfCoast.
I was aware of the toolkit but I don't think I'd ever seen a list of what it includes. No problem tho'.. I have a good set of tools, including a large 17mm hex and I made my own Lewis Pin. And, I actually started last night and 3 hrs later I had it stripped down and everything removed (tank, swing-arm, old alt out). I'll post up elsewhere with details and possibly some pictures. My plan is to finish this wknd.
Mr. BR

Top Bottom