Article HID Install with Time Delay Relay

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300-HID Install with Time Delay Relay

Cool, nice post Dave. I have a switch ordered as I know I will forget more than not to hold the button when I turn the key.
So is the switch for the Time Delay Relay or are you doing the manual switch?

I know on the 1100 the right switch pod connects to the bike harness under the air cleaner (in case you haven't stumbled across it yet). The color codes should be the same.

Oh and what time is the Pizza being delivered and when will the beer be cold. ;)

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

Actually Dave, I posted that before looking at the site for the switch. I think I will try to see if anyone else in the area wants one first. They are cheap @ $2.80 each but the cheapest shipping is over $8 Might as well get a few at that rate.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

Actually Dave, I posted that before looking at the site for the switch. I think I will try to see if anyone else in the area wants one first. They are cheap @ $2.80 each but the cheapest shipping is over $8 Might as well get a few at that rate.
So are you doing the delay timer then? If not then you don't need the SPDT switch. There is a rectangular rocker switch made by Cherry that will work. I installed one in the right switch pod not for controlling the lights but to power on and off my heated grips.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

I do have the timer ordered, so the switch you used will be nice. I sent a PM to Rich to see if he and Erik want one. The switches are so cheap as you know that you have the cost of 4 of them wrapped up in shipping. $8 is way steep for shipping. I may as well get as many as the locals will use if I'm going to get any.

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008

I do have the timer ordered, so the switch you used will be nice. I sent a PM to Rich to see if he and Erik want one. The switches are so cheap as you know that you have the cost of 4 of them wrapped up in shipping. $8 is way steep for shipping. I may as well get as many as the locals will use if I'm going to get any.
They ask $18 for shipping to Greece, which makes it extremely expesnsive for a couple of switches I need, so I went for this one, which might not be waterproof at all, but I will impovise something...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

Actually this time I found the exact one that I ordered. I knew that the one that I ordered had a round base as I drilled my hole with my step drill bit. The first one I posted an image to has a square or rectangle base. I couldn't remember where I got it but when I found this image digikey sounds familiar. I know I ordered some stuff from them when putting together my big list of parts for farkels. You may be able to locally source this part as it really isn't that special SPDT switches like this are pretty common. I could most likely run to a local auto parts store and find one. I know I could get one at the local Radio Shack which is a basic electronics store. But they most likely wouldn't have one that is weather rated.

Link

Again this is larger than life. 25mm diameter.

I used this one as it had a water resistance rating. While it shouldn't get too wet inside the storage bin, it could on the back side so I wanted some rating on the switch. I will add this to the parts list in the article as well.
Can you provide source information for this switch. Looks like a good replacement for my Symtec hi/off/low switch which isn't weather sealed like this one.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

Jeff,
Check provided link; the PDF of the device says "waterproof".

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

Can you throw another 2 on your order for me? I have one but I might want a couple more for some other projects now that I think about it.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

They ask $18 for shipping to Greece, which makes it extremely expesnsive for a couple of switches I need, so I went for this one, which might not be waterproof at all, but I will impovise something...
That will probably be fine. Really the only part I would be concerned with is the back side where the connectors are. Well I take that back. That is provided you are mounting it in the same location where I mounted mine. If you have the switch exposed is when it would really be nice to have a waterproof one. But inside one of the storage bins is pretty well protected. It might see a little moisture from the back side but that could be sealed up with silicon or something once you made your connections. You will then want some method of disconnecting the wires then. There are lots of options for that and you should be able to find something locally.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

If you are ordering some I'll take two. Where do I send the $$ and how much with my share of shipping?

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008

That will probably be fine. Really the only part I would be concerned with is the back side where the connectors are. Well I take that back. That is provided you are mounting it in the same location where I mounted mine. If you have the switch exposed is when it would really be nice to have a waterproof one. But inside one of the storage bins is pretty well protected. It might see a little moisture from the back side but that could be sealed up with silicon or something once you made your connections. You will then want some method of disconnecting the wires then. There are lots of options for that and you should be able to find something locally.
Yes you're right, sealing the connectors is quite easy, and yes I plan to install it inside the right compartment, for easy access too in case of failure....

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

Yes you're right, sealing the connectors is quite easy, and yes I plan to install it inside the right compartment, for easy access too in case of failure....
Now there isn't a right or a wrong place to mount the switch. For me I put it in the left pocket. The reason is that the right one doesn't lock and I use that one more. I didn't want to accidentally bump it or have something in there bump it on rough roads. I keep things like a sidestand plate, ear plugs, gas receipts and sometimes money for toll roads if I am on them. The left side I really don't have much in. I keep the OEM tool kit in there because I have too much crap stuffed in the tail of the bike with radios, fuse block and other farkles. I also keep a cable style gun lock in there that I use to lock my helmet to the bike if I feel the need. Other than that my left bin is locked. If I needed to do the bypass I would just use the key to open it and then leave it open while I started the bike and close once I turned on the lights.

Like I said though. No right answer but that is where I went with my switch.

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008

Now there isn't a right or a wrong place to mount the switch. For me I put it in the left pocket. The reason is that the right one doesn't lock and I use that one more. I didn't want to accidentally bump it or have something in there bump it on rough roads. I keep things like a sidestand plate, ear plugs, gas receipts and sometimes money for toll roads if I am on them. The left side I really don't have much in. I keep the OEM tool kit in there because I have too much crap stuffed in the tail of the bike with radios, fuse block and other farkles. I also keep a cable style gun lock in there that I use to lock my helmet to the bike if I feel the need. Other than that my left bin is locked. If I needed to do the bypass I would just use the key to open it and then leave it open while I started the bike and close once I turned on the lights.

Like I said though. No right answer but that is where I went with my switch.
Well true about the accidental bumping, but my reasoning for the right pocket is for the case you have a failure during a highway drive, and you can flip it on without stopping. But as you said, no right answer, what ever suits each one :)

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

If you are ordering some I'll take two. Where do I send the $$ and how much with my share of shipping?
Looks like an impromptu group buy in the making. I will let the requests run for a while, get them ordered, and ship them. I will divide the shipping equally among the buyers as to the number they got and ship as cheap as I can. You can send a check when you get them. I will have the amount owed with each.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

Can you throw another 2 on your order for me? I have one but I might want a couple more for some other projects now that I think about it.
I will start a list Dave. Got you down for two.

Top Bottom