JD2002 in for 3

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300-HID Install with Time Delay Relay

I sent an email to the guy that makes the TDR and sent him a link to this article. I mentioned that he may see an uptick in sales and some may be international. He replied stating that it was nice to see how his product is being used to possibly give him ideas as to future products and modifications.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

I will place an order for these in the morning so if you want in, post your your request.
The switch I am ordering is this
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1952344-switch-rocker-spdt-16a-ip65-grb112d802bb.html
They are cheap and the postage will be split evenly among the requests.
You can send me a check for them plus your share of postage when I know what it will be.
Does anybody know if I can just put them in an envelope? or will I need to use small padded ones?

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

I think you will need to use a padded envelope. If you use a regular envelope they will go through the sorter and probably get ripped out.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

I was thinking the same thing but wanted to keep it as cheap as possible. I will use some bubble wrap packing from work and that should be good.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

I ordered 10 I will donate em to the next TechSTOC in NJ well minus 3 of them.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

Good one Steve. I ordered 6 extra for a total of 20. I thought someone else would prolly surface and want one. If not they will go for give a ways at MnSTOC. Thanks for the idea Steve.
2 for Dave S.
2 for Jeff W.
3 for me
2 for Throttlejockey
3 for JD2002
2 for Rich R.
I will be in contact when they get here.
Mark

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
They came today (Wednesday). So I will see if the Post Office feels a padded regular envelope will suffice or if I need to go with a small manila one. At any rate, they will be going out shortly.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
They came today (Wednesday). So I will see if the Post Office feels a padded regular envelope will suffice or if I need to go with a small manila one. At any rate, they will be going out shortly.
Got mine delivered today. Thanks again!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
My switches came yesterday. It was a complete drop in replacement for the non-weatherproof Symtec switch, which I've have already had to replace. twice. Looks OEM! Many thanks, I'd been looking for a switch like this for some time.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
My switches came yesterday. It was a complete drop in replacement for the non-weatherproof Symtec switch, which I've have already had to replace. twice. Looks OEM! Many thanks, I'd been looking for a switch like this for some time.
It took me quite a while to find them as well. I was happy when I found it as I figured it would be perfect for this project as well as others. That is cool that it just dropped right in. Thanks goes to Mark for doing the group buy. I knew when I ordered them that shipping was a bit steep but I didn't know how well they would work at first or what they would be like. So I didn't want to order a bunch.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Sennister for the write up.
I got my switch and all the wiring done today. Just waiting for the TDR to come in that I just ordered yesterday.
I'm planning on putting it under the seat.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Sennister for the write up.
I got my switch and all the wiring done today. Just waiting for the TDR to come in that I just ordered yesterday.
I'm planning on putting it under the seat.
Not a problem. It sounds more complicated than it really is. When you look at what is really involved it isn't too bad of a modification and gives some pretty good flexibility.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, it wasn't hard at all thanks to your instructions. I ended up putting the switch in the right pocket.

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008
Switch came safely home, thanks to SteveST1300:yr1:, also the TDR is here.... Lots of work this weekend :tools1::broc1:

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008
Hi sennister,

I have a problem with the connections. I tried to check if the TDR works before installing everything and here is what I did:

I cut the Blue/white and Red/black as per your instructions in the first post, and then

1. From the bike I took the Black.red and I connected it to 1 and +12 on the TDR
2. From the bike, I took the Blue-white and connected it to the G on the TDR
3. From the TDR I connected the L to the Black/red that goes to the lights
4. From the TDR I connected the G(again) to the Blue/white that goes to the lights.

The TDR works OK and I can set the delay I want. But it gets so HOT the you can hardly touch it and after approx a minute it started smoking.

I am almost certain that I did something wrong, can you please help?

Also, I am not planning to install HID's for the moment since I haven't ordered them yet. Can this relay withstand the Halogen's load?

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Well first off. I looked at the specs on the TDR. Keep in mind when we are running the HIDs that we are not running a load through the TDR. This is because these wires are only used to trigger the HIDs to come on and there is a separate new set of wires that are run to power and ground the ballasts in the HID kit and this is where they load is carried.

Now more on the TDR. This is a relay so it can carry more of a load than a lot of switches but it still isn't that much. From looking at the specs it looks like it is rated to 10 AMPs max. I am not sure what the load is with the Halogens. I never tested it because I had no plans on using this with Halogens. It is for the HID Kit use. Since Halogens don't have the issues with the hot strike, the modification isn't needed. Personally I would be hesitant about running the Halogens through this. Also I mentioned sealing the back up with epoxy or silicon. You cannot do this step when you run a load through the TDR. If you look at the back side there is a part that has little fins on it. This is a heat sink. I asked the guy that makes them if this was needed in our application. He said since we are not putting a load through it, we wouldn't have heat issues. He said around 5-7 amps it starts getting hot and the heat sink is needed. You are going to be above that with Halogen. Again, not sure how high but it will be more than 7 maybe more than 10.

As for your wiring I am a little confused as to how you wired it.

The Red/black should go to 1 (trigger) and +12 (power)
The G should go to ground or back to the - on the battery
The L should go to Blue/White

This is how mine is wired and works fine but again I don't carry a load on this because there are no lights plugged in. Only the HID kit.

Where I was confused is part 3 where you said the L is connected to the Red/Black which is connected to the lights. The Red/Black however doesn't go to the lights. It goes back to the + on the battery. It is the hot side of the switch. With it wired like that I don't see how you would get a delay with the headlights. So maybe it is hooked up to the Blue/white and you just mistyped that part.

If I were you, I would take out the TDR for now and use the bypass mode. The rocker switch is rated to 16 amps and should be able to take the load of the Halogens but again, I am not sure what the load is on the circuit with the halogens. I do know it will be a lot more than the HIDs but if I were to guess I would say around 10 amps or so. This is at the max rating of the TDR and may be pushing it a little too hard. This explains the smoke.

Top Bottom