Lights stay on when ignition switch in Off, bike won't start

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Yesterday I rode over to John's (Nashcat) to take advantage of his lift and soldering skills. We first checked the 14 pin yellow plug (right side). Everything appeared to be normal. Next we checked the 24 pin plug on the left side (as in riding position) and found the ground wire burned, insulation melted off and wire exposed.
.image.jpg
The plug terminals were cleaned and a jumper with a quick connect/disconnect and pig tail with ring was soldered to the affected ground wire. The end with the terminal ring was ground to the frame just above the plug. (Don't let all the multicolored cruise control wires confuse you)
image.jpgimage.jpg

For extra insurance a 16 ga. ground was soldered to the bottom of the yellow plug where all the ground wires are soldered together and the terminal ring was attached to the frame at the point where one of the nose cowling supports is bolted to the frame.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Since my return from Maine, the bike has started every time I tried but the clock would reset, the trip odometer both A And B would reset to zero, and the bright lights would not turn off or only one light would dim. I haven't ridden it anywhere outside the neighborhood until I rode it to John's place 60 miles away. The symptoms of the bike not starting and lights staying on never repeated themselves since I have been back but I suspect it was only a matter of time, somewhere down the road if it had not been repaired.

All the crazy stuff that was happening with my dash board display has stopped and head lights appear to be much brighter. I feel confident we have made a good repair and I can once again ride far away from home. Hope this makes it a little easier for the next person this happens to.
Thanks for all the great advice and troubleshooting. This repair did not take long because of all the legwork that has already been done to solve this issue.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well that looks like something everyone with an ST1300 should take a look at to make sure that it is not having the same issue. Glad you found the problem and repaired it.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have now had both of these failures. 2 years ago the 24 pin harness in the left melted the ground wire. Recently similar symptoms sent me on a month long chase leading to the yellow ground connector under the headlight. Initially it looked fine but when the problem reoccurred yesterday if we wiggles the harness it would fix it. Cut off the connector and connected the 14 wires to a new ground. Thankful for this thread and forum. Ride on...

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Hi guys. My ST1300 #2 has suddenly developed a problem almost the same as this....
A quick history of Honey ST: 143,500kms, a massive front end smash in 2012 @ 93K, rebuilt and now 50,000kms later she pulls this one on me when i'm out of town on a 1000km trip...

When the bike is running and I turn on my head lamps... (I put a switch in between the HL relay so that I can switch the switch in my RHS cubby hole on or off and have the head lights work at my command - had enough of forgetting to start bike, but having already switching on the ignition, and then getting involved in a conversation or other distraction, and then finding the bike won't start...) Anyways when I switch them on the bike dies and "freezes" (for the want of a better description). This also happens when I activate the turn signals, or the horn, or the windscreen (either up or down), or the hazard lights and even if I flick the pass switch... The dash goes off/dead (low lighting can only be seen in darkness), the oil lamp and neutral light comes on. The motor will turn but there is no spark..(motor won't run). The only way to "unfreeze" the bike is by disconnecting the battery. Then powering it up again and on can then start the motor again, but as soon as any of the previously mentioned switches are operated, then back to motor off and "freeze" mode. Even switching the ignition off and back on makes no difference once "frozen". Oh yes! when frozen the oil light burns dimly and all indicators are on.... The brakes (front and back) play no part and the brake lights operate as normal...

So one can actually ride the bike back home, BUT you must not touch the indicator button!!!
("Don't press the indicator button"...repeated all the way, but still operated it a few times (Ahgggrrr!!!) and had to strip all luggage off and reset battery a few time trying to get to somewhere to work on the problem.
I have checked for shorting wire, but so far found none. Stripped the LHS control unit on handle bar, removed relays and fuses...nothing.. however I discovered that if I pull the 10Amp HL fuse then I can push all the buttons on the LH control unit, such as signal indicators etc, (nothing works obviously) and the motor doesn't stall, or the bike go into "freeze" mode...
At least I will be able to ride back tomorrow and not frustrate myself by automatically/ instinctively/ force of habit pressing an indicator switch or try altering the windscreen height... But once back home I would like an idea or two as where to check.... Thanks STeve (Da Ace).

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Trace all the ground wires (green) in the front half of the bike, ground wires come together into a small yellow bus connector above the RH headlight, the ground wire into and out of the 24 pin white connector on the left side of the bike behind the middle cowl, ground from there to the lug bolt under the fuel tank.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Made it home with out a problem...
Thanks for the ideas.
Will check out No2 (Honey) when I get a chance and let you know.

Just gonna ride No3 (Angel ST) for now.

My Son says I should sell both my ST1300s and buy a BM1600GTL... No logic I reckon.
I have two paid up bikes and can ride one when the other is down...(I do a little mileage -sitting at #3 for distance for far again this year (0)(0) ..eyes rolling), but by selling both STs (and with over 140,000 on each I will get virtually nothing for them) and buying the BM I'm in debt to the tune of 2~300k... And if it gives trouble then I'm stuck...no wheels

I think I would rather buy 4 wheels then and keep both my STs... (Big OUCH!!)

OR better yet another buy another ST...hehe

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm glad you got right to it. Weird electrical behavior with many or all the devices in the front half of the bike point to ground problems and all of the green wires pass through these two connections.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Is this a problem with the ST1300 from (A) poorly manufactured connectors giving a poor connection or (B) more electrical load on the wires because of farkles added?

thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
David P
Bike
ST1300
I would say that it is due to undersized wiring and/or poor design connectors. I had the issue and my fairing wiring is completely stock.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I would say that it is due to undersized wiring and/or poor design connectors. I had the issue and my fairing wiring is completely stock.
Thanks...I may just have to check mine while the bike rests in my garage for the winter.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Yeah Jim

There's just no way I can part with my babies...

STill the best bikes ever... (I'm slightly biased, with about +500,000kms on STs...hehe)

And of cause if you have a hiccup, then there's only one place to go for advice....

To your local pub....er...NO! hehe

Thanks again guys

Trace all the ground wires (green) in the front half of the bike, ground wires come together into a small yellow bus connector above the RH headlight, the ground wire into and out of the 24 pin white connector on the left side of the bike behind the middle cowl, ground from there to the lug bolt under the fuel tank.

Looking at dduelin post on the subject can you elaborate on the location of the 24 pin white connector as I have been working on my 2002 st1300A trying to refit Gas tank and suddenly found myself with the ground wire from the lug under the fuel tank with the other end detached from where it should live. Consequently I have no power to the front of the bike. A photo would be great otherwise an explanation as to what is the middle cowl.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looking at dduelin post on the subject can you elaborate on the location of the 24 pin white connector as I have been working on my 2002 st1300A trying to refit Gas tank and suddenly found myself with the ground wire from the lug under the fuel tank with the other end detached from where it should live. Consequently I have no power to the front of the bike. A photo would be great otherwise an explanation as to what is the middle cowl.
There are some pictures in the link to a forum thread: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/fixed-my-electrical-problem-headlights-dash-lites-horn-turn-signals-windshield.124335/

. The 24 pin connector is just above and in front of the left hand cylinder valve cover. When you remove the left middle cowl, the 24 pin connector clips onto the inside of this part of the fairing.

There are some pictures in the link to a forum thread: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/fixed-my-electrical-problem-headlights-dash-lites-horn-turn-signals-windshield.124335/

. The 24 pin connector is just above and in front of the left hand cylinder valve cover. When you remove the left middle cowl, the 24 pin connector clips onto the inside of this part of the fairing.
Thanks for those pictures. I am pretty sure I have inadvertently pulled the ground wire from its original connector under the throttle bodies or from a connector between them and the secondary tank. This looks a good fix though/

Bike
97 ST1100 04 ST1300
STOC #
It looks like beefing up these grounds should be a pretty standard modification to a ST1300 - am I right?

OP
OP
David P
Bike
ST1300
It would make sense. No sense in taking a chance on a failure when an extra ground wire is an easy modification.
\

Top Bottom