Bridgestone BT023 for ST1100

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Well it is tire time again, I have had Avon Storms for the last two years and love the tire except for the dreaded wobble at 45mph and noisey....ready to give another tire a try. I wanted to hear from any 1100 owners that have had the Bridgestone BT023's. I have read some of the posts, but the majority is from 1300's. What do you think about them? Is there anyone out there that has had both the Avon and Bridgestones? What I like about the Avons is there wet handling along with dry handling!! Never once yet, slipped in the rain. I am tired of the 45-50mph wobble with the avons and they are noisey....Your input would be great, Thanks!! I also wanted to add that I am an aggressive driver, jack rabbits starts, high speed, aggressive cornering, hard braking...yes, I do have a slow side sometimes...once in awhile...LOL!!

Brittany and Parker Colorado in summer time
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
Well it is tire time again, I have had Avon Storms for the last two years and love the tire except for the dreaded wobble at 45mph and noisey....ready to give another tire a try. I wanted to hear from any 1100 owners that have had the Bridgestone BT023's. I have read some of the posts, but the majority is from 1300's. What do you think about them? Is there anyone out there that has had both the Avon and Bridgestones? What I like about the Avons is there wet handling along with dry handling!! Never once yet, slipped in the rain. I am tired of the 45-50mph wobble with the avons and they are noisey....Your input would be great, Thanks!! I also wanted to add that I am an aggressive driver, jack rabbits starts, high speed, aggressive cornering, hard braking...yes, I do have a slow side sometimes...once in awhile...LOL!!
What's with the wheel wobble?, mine used to do it, i just go to the head bearings and re- preload the adjustment, and i find no advantage with the taper bearings either.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
What's with the wheel wobble?, mine used to do it, i just go to the head bearings and re- preload the adjustment, and i find no advantage with the taper bearings either.
With the Avons...Some bikes get the wobble some don't....Avons has no solutions except send you another tire, which I have done and still wobbles. The wobble starts at around 44-45mph and lasts till around 50mph. I have had it with every set of avons that I put on, my friend put storms on and he got the wobble too, Avon sent him another tire and he still has the wobble.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I posted a review a couple of weeks ago about putting on BT023 on my ST1100 - I have about 3K miles on them now - wear seems very good at this point - speeds up the handling of the ST1100 quite a bit as compared to the BT020's and BT021's - but the high speed handling is not as solid and feels pretty sensitive as speeds approach triple digits - used to be very solid and planted at high speeds but not any more. Since I don't need to ride that fast the improvement in low speed handling is a plus. They are quiet running and noticeably smoother riding than the BT020's. Wet grip seems fine as well. From the wear at this point I am expecting about 7-9K out of the rear. Some have reported very short life on the ST1300 with the 170/60 tire the 160/70 on the ST1100 may wear better but who knows.

Dan

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have about 2,000 miles on a set of BT023s on my 97 ABS. They do seem to turn in a lot quicker which can surprise you until you get used to it. I don't have a feel for the mileage yet, but I am already seeing the 'dual compound line' in the front and rear. Handling is fine in wet and dry. BTW, when I replace my steering head bearings with the roller bearings from CBR, my wobble went away.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
BTW, when I replace my steering head bearings with the roller bearings from CBR, my wobble went away.
Nice to know....Phil, could you give me link for the bearings? That's gonna be my next project. Thanks!

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Thanks for all the input....I think I will give them a try and see how I like them!!

I talked to the bridgestone people today, in june a bt23 will be made just for st 1300 .

Sent from my DROID2

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
2 sets of Storms on my ST1100. 45mph wobble on both Storm fronts. I have around 5k miles on a BT023 rear and looks pretty good. the BT023 makes me want to throw rocks at the Storms, 023 is that much better. Still running the Storm front and still wobbles, the dang thing won't wear out. When it does.........BT023 replacement. The best part is they cst less than the Storms.

Ralph Sims

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The website for CBR Bearings is -

http://www.cbrbearing.com/

When you call them, tell them you are interested in the steering stem bearings for a ST1100. They will actually know what you are talking about. They also sell replacement wheel bearings for the front and rear. If you do the steering stem, you probably want to contact John O to get the tool kit which makes the job a lot easier.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
The website for CBR Bearings is -

http://www.cbrbearing.com/

When you call them, tell them you are interested in the steering stem bearings for a ST1100. They will actually know what you are talking about. They also sell replacement wheel bearings for the front and rear. If you do the steering stem, you probably want to contact John O to get the tool kit which makes the job a lot easier.

Thanks Phil!!!

I have used 3 sets of Avons from the Azaro to the current storm 2, no wobble problems at all. No problems with any other brands either, regardless of how worn the front tyre is.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well fellers, I don't believe I'll be using any more BT023s on my ST1100s. Here's what the rear looks like at 2,645 miles (Yes, two thousand, six hundred and forty five miles). When the 'dual compound line' showed up at 1,400 miles I figured I was in trouble. At that kind of mileage, I might as well be using track tires -

Attachments

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Well fellers, I don't believe I'll be using any more BT023s on my ST1100s. Here's what the rear looks like at 2,645 miles (Yes, two thousand, six hundred and forty five miles). When the 'dual compound line' showed up at 1,400 miles I figured I was in trouble. At that kind of mileage, I might as well be using track tires -
WOW! :eek: And I was going to order a BT023 this week.

Phil, what kind of roads and type of riding have you done on this tire? I may have to stick with the Avon's. After recently reading this thread and one or two of the other recent tire threads relative to the ST11 I went back and checked the mileage history that I gotten out of Avon Azaro, Storm and Storm 2 rear tires. I have gotten between 6K - 7K out of all of them. And except for the one tire that had the 3 or 4 flukey pin holes I havent had any problems with the Avons. I know that 'YMMV' can be applied here but I have never seen so much variance in the miles gotten out of any rear tire.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
WOW....I am putting my BT023's on tomm. Yikes, I will keep you posted on the mileage I get out of mine. I wonder if you just got a bad tire or something?? Not Good!! See you at Moonshine Phil.

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I wonder if you just got a bad tire or something?? Not Good!!
Dave - Probably just something wrong with the throttle ... :D
I have that problem too....:D

Engine braking and hard acceleration out of corners wears down rear tires faster, eh? That's been my experience.
Why am I getting the feeling that these Bridgestone's were a bad choice??? Chalk it up to experience...

Top Bottom