Motoport Pants - extra junk in the trunk?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Can you return it for a refund?
That's the trick... if you get their 'off the rack' stuff, you can possibly get some type of refund.. on something custom, you don't.. you have to keep throwing $$ at it until it's right and then puts a bad taste in your mouth due to that.. To me, the base cost should include at least one round of 'corrections'. They said $50 would correct this IF the problem was no MY mistake in measurements.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I agree.

To me, that last sentence is more than frustrating. You have more patience with that than I do since, if it were my gear, I'd sell it and not look back. I'd also let Motoport know, in a professional manner, that I wasn't happy for XXXX reasons. For the cost of Motoport, that is flat unacceptable.
I probably will sell it... it's some tough stuff but given the fit I think I'd rather spend the $ on good perforated leather gear where I can visit locations nearby and try stuff on .

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
Did you get the pants which are designed to be worn over regular pants? I wore a custom pair of those for awhile, but only shorts underneath, and had the same "trunk junk" you described. I spoke with the owner, who had me put large binder clips in certain locations, then sit on the bike. If the clips come off, then the pants weren't too large: that extra room, in addition for the added layer of jeans, was to keep the pants from being too tight when sitting on the bike.

I finally took them out there and had one of their folks take in the inseam and reduce the overall height of the waist. They still were too big for my tastes, but it was an improvement. IIRC, they did the alterations free of charge. That was a couple years ago.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Did you get the pants which are designed to be worn over regular pants? I wore a custom pair of those for awhile, but only shorts underneath, and had the same "trunk junk" you described. I spoke with the owner, who had me put large binder clips in certain locations, then sit on the bike. If the clips come off, then the pants weren't too large: that extra room, in addition for the added layer of jeans, was to keep the pants from being too tight when sitting on the bike.

I finally took them out there and had one of their folks take in the inseam and reduce the overall height of the waist. They still were too big for my tastes, but it was an improvement. IIRC, they did the alterations free of charge. That was a couple years ago.
Yes these are the mesh overpants. I have some olympia overpants and they aren't as bad and are not too tight at all. I got the same suggestion with the clips, just not sure I'm in the mood to go through all that as I know they are too big.. if the clips fall off then the are too big.... well, I don't need clips to tell me that... I just need to count to 10 or 100 or 1000 and well, not sure what I'll do at that point... I'm selling the jacket as I don't believe the 'custom' fit you pay for is what you get, well it's not what I got.. Probably going to sell the pants as well.

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Joe,

Disturbing experience...especially since I'm considering buying an MP mesh suit (I'm figuring at least $1100). I am skeptical about ME taking the measurements and THEM building the clothes...normally with a custom made garment the builder takes the measurements and builds the garment...no questions about who screwed up. It is also customary for the maker of the garment to have the customer try it on, then final finishing touches are made to perfect the fit. Other posters were right about a "custom" garment...the whole point is that it FITS YOU. They should absolutely make it right, regardless of what it takes. This stuff is crazy expensive and customer satisfaction should be a no brainer.

Any update to your ill fitting pant dilemma?

Maybe its me, but on the occasions that I have called them to ask product questions, I get the feeling that they'd rather not be dealing with me. No enthusiasm, no energy, no salesmanship...they seem to be in a hurry to end the call and never "engaged" with me. A few weeks ago I asked about making me a rain suit with full length leg zips and they were supposed to get back to me...I never heard from them. Plus, that website is awful, half the pictures are out of focus. Every time I think I'm going to "pull the trigger" on a suit, I just get this feeling like, "maybe I should hold off".

This experience of yours really gives me the willies.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bob, I haven't done anything with these since my initial communications w/motoport. I have a bad taste in my mouth, I don't feel I should pay to send something back when I did the measurements accurately.

I think if you live close enough to have them take the measurements then go for it as yes, you can blame them on the fitting.. otherwise, you basically flip the bill to keep making something more and more custom until it fits - we see the same type of things with Russell seats as far as folks having to send them back once or more times...

I think something you pay that much $ for should fit you perfect... no compromise at all... and if that can't happen a full refund should be allowed. I think the material and padding may be the best stuff out there.. race leather being the only thing I would consider as 'better'. However, I expect a custom garment to be comfortable and fit.. my Olympia gear fits me better and that's what I'm using at the moment.

My preference would be a full refund. I haven't asked, but I'm pretty certain that won't happen, if it does I'll post here.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Bob,

I am lucky as I live close to Cycleport and went down there to look at the gear to see which coat and pants that I wanted as I could not pull the trigger without seeing and touching the goods. I did find a coat that they had custom made on the shelf that fit me great and I got that coat. The first pants that I tried on were just like the ones that Joe is talking about with way to much material in the rear. I had them custom make them with them taking the measurements and they fit perfect the first time out. I am very happy with my gear.

I have talked to another member who got their coat made with measurements that they provided and they say the arms are tight like Joe stated. I am not sure but maybe you need to give them your measurements on the loose side not tight?

Good luck!

Mike

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Bob,

I am lucky as I live close to Cycleport and went down there to look at the gear to see which coat and pants that I wanted as I could not pull the trigger without seeing and touching the goods. I did find a coat that they had custom made on the shelf that fit me great and I got that coat. The first pants that I tried on were just like the ones that Joe is talking about with way to much material in the rear. I had them custom make them with them taking the measurements and they fit perfect the first time out. I am very happy with my gear.

I have talked to another member who got their coat made with measurements that they provided and they say the arms are tight like Joe stated. I am not sure but maybe you need to give them your measurements on the loose side not tight?

Good luck!

Mike
This would be a tremendous advantage over trying to do it via phone/email/internet. Let's see, a round trip air fare to So Cal....hmmmm.....

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
It might be an option to go to a professional tailor in your area and pay them to take your measurements. I still have to agree with Joe on this one, if you're paying as much as MP/CP charges for a custom riding suit, getting it fitted properly (the first time...not after six months and 50 pie runs) should come at no additional charge and a refund if they cannot get it properly fitted.

At their price point, customer service shouldn't be second rate.
Yeah, but in Joe's defense, they tell you where to measure. I suspect he's been trained on how to read a tape measure. How tough a job is this? Sounds like they just didn't build it using his measurements and/or some sensible design. And then to charge to fix it??? Not good.

This stuff is uber-premium priced...they should be delighting folks with their customer experience.

Bike
2006 ST1300
All of this is reason #1 why I won't buy anything without being able to try it on first- whether its custom made or off the shelf, I want to make sure it actually fits before paying the money. I'm fortunate to have Whitehorse Gear near me- while they don't have the custom made stuff, they carry most big name riding gear, so I can ride an hour down the road and actually try the stuff on. No doubts about how it runs, mistakes on measurements (mine or theirs), etc.

I think a company making top-dollar suits shouldn't leave the measurements up to the customer. I'm not saying Joe measured wrong...but when the same person measures, who also makes the item, there is no doubt. Since it isn't possible for everyone to be able to go to their company to be fitted, maybe they should link up with tailors in different parts of the country. That way any poor fit would be between the tailor who took the measurements and the company making the product. And I don't mean a tailor WE choose...THEY should have a network set up.

Consider this scenario- You call to order a suit. They direct you to their closest tailor, maybe 2 hours from you. You go to be measured, then go home and wait for the suit to be mostly completed. The mfg ships the suit to the tailor, and you return to try it on for final fitment. Either the tailor does this themselves, or note what needs to be done, and the suit goes back for final completion. Then they ship it to you.

Sound like a lot of steps? No more steps than you sending them measurements, they send an ill-fitting product, and you have to send it back for adjustments. For the kind of money we are talking, they should be prepared to do WHATEVER is necessary to make the customer happy...period. If they don't want to hire out to a pro to do the initial fitment, then they should be prepared to make adjustments 2, 3, or more times, as necessary...at no additional cost.

Jim

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Got an email back - they will allow me a refund but not on any alterations or shipping. That's close enough for me.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Got an email back - they will allow me a refund but not on any alterations or shipping. That's close enough for me.
That's cool! Who knows, Beyonce or J-Lo just might be needing a good pair of riding pants and now there will be a pair on the hanger at a discounted price! Everybody wins!!!

I bought a pair of Kevlar stretch pants about three years ago. I'm tall and lean, with heavy emphasis on "lean". and can't find any kind of cycle gear that fits. When I received the pants, they were way to tight in the legs. I could get them on, but it was a chore to get into them. I made one call to Motoport, spoke to Wayne, answered a few questions, sent him a couple of pictures of me wearing the pants, then returned them for adjustment. A week or so later they came back. Perfect fit the second time around. I love 'em.

I agree with the post that says they don't flow air as well as advertised, but I figured that I'm sitting behind a big fairing and the pants can't flow air if the air is blocked from getting to the pants. When the weather gets hot, I ride in shorts under the pants, instead of jeans. That's much more comfortable. With shorts, I've been comfortable in the upper 90's.

luoma

VE6 CKV
STOC #
I realize this is an old thread, but I ordered a suit from Wayne at Westoc XVI and he measured me himself but I still ended up with the same problem as you Mellow. So here I am with a $1300 suit that I have worn only once in the last year. I e mailed MP and they said I could send it back with the clips for measurement but it would cost me an undetermined amount-- depending on the amount of work it took to alter them. I actually used the "diaper" term in the e mail, which they probably didn't appreciate but like everyone said a custom suit should fit like one. I find it too embarassing to wear the way it is. Have thought about hauling the bike south for a winter ride and going directly to MP for alterations but if they are giving refunds I think I may take that route.

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I had Wayne measure me in his shop, and sitting on my bike, and the stuff fits like a glove (figuratively). But if he measured you at WestSTOC and didn't get it right I'm not sure how a shop measurement could be any more accurate. At any rate, if he can get it right, you'll enjoy wearing it all day - on and off the bike. I love mine, hope you can get yours worked out, you'll feel like you got your money's worth .....

Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
This is a revisit to an old thread but info on Motoport is sort of scarce.

Went to Motoport due to Tourmaster and Roadgear pants look like I had a loaded diaper. I sent in a pair of my jeans and had the strecth Kevlar backs and the mesh fronts. I got the liner. I've worn it from 35 (last week) to 105. The Kevlar Jeans fit great and look great. MP forgot the attachment zipper as well as the zipper fly on the first go round with me. They picked up the shipping but it took a month. Yes Motoport is a pain in the *** to deal with.

"This will probably be throwing gas and matches on the fire, but....for as expensive as Motoport is, they should get that dialed in without any extra or hidden costs. I know I wouldn't be happy at all if, after their alterations on the jacket, Motoport didn't get it dialed in properly and much lower on the happiness scale if they told me that there would be additional costs to altering/resolving the pants issue."

I then wanted to replace my Perforated Vanson Jacket-it's freaking hot......and vents too much when it's cold out.

I got the 3/4 Ultra Jacket. I did all the measurements and got it back. It looked like a huge dress. Very ugly. Functional but a damn dress. I wrote Wayne and HE OFFERED ME A FULL REFUND minus my shipping. I took credit and got a shorter jacket. It's now a very good looking outfit. The jacket has finally gotten softer after 2 years and 20K miles.

Would I do Motoport again....NO NO NO.

But I have to hand it to Wayne to stand behind his product. He did right by me. But what a hassle to deal with Motoport.

My wife refused to deal with Motoport and gets her stuff at RevZilla-Olympia gear is great.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Reviving the post again. I emailed Motoport and specifically asked about the baggy seat of the pants. I believe I may have hit a nerve, but he promptly replies and really appears to know his business. I'm going to fly out there, get measured and give it a shot. It will be late August to Septemberish. I was going to fly to Revzilla's place in Philly and try the Rukka on but will give Motoport a shot first.

His reply:

1. The Ultra II Air Mesh Pant is an over pant and has to be baggy in the butt area when standing. The Mesh Kevlar does not stretch. If the butt of this pant is snug when standing it is impossible to sit down on the seat. We explain this fact to women ordering the Ultra II Air Mesh Pant. Many women have a serious problem with this baggy butt area when standing, the majority of men don’t. This pant goes on/off in seconds and is designed to be our best pant in the hot/humid weather. It takes seconds to check if the butt is too baggy. Put under the pants the most that would be worn in cold weather. Sit on the bike and see if the butt area is still too loose.
A very popular option is to make the entire front of the Ultra II over pant in Mesh Kevlar and the entire back section in Stretch Kevlar. We can then make the butt section fit better when standing. Motoport has also made thousands of jean style pants that fit perfect. We use a good fitting denim pant from the customer to use as a pattern. No measurements are even needed to make any of our jean style pants. http://www.motoport.com/sizing-guides/sizing-guide-for-mens-jean-pants/
2. We recommend to our customers that are not within a few hundred miles of Motoport, to go to a tailor to get measured properly. Motoport also explains that it is important to copy how to take the measurements shown in our Sizing Guide and taking this to a tailor to get measured. There is no set way to measure and many tailors will take measurement different than we advise. Tailors make clothing for people not clothing for motorcycle riders. If the tailor measures the way they normally do for regular clothing, our gear will not fit when made. It would be better for the customer to measure compared to a tailor measuring for regular clothing.
3. If we make a mistake in sizing, we alter no charge. We also pay shipping both ways. If the customer makes a mistake in measuring we charge 50% of the normal alteration cost. If there is no clear distinction of who made the mistake we alter no charge. Note: If you check our normal alteration cost we make no profit. Motoport goes negative when charging 50% of the normal alteration cost. Average time to alter is 3 to 7 working days after the gear is returned. Motoport is in Calif.. If you live on the East Coast and ship ground, add two weeks for shipping both ways.
4. The denim pant I wear is marked with a 38 waist. If I measure my waist it is 41”. In some cases the actual measurement is 3 to 4” different than the size of the garment. There are many reasons for this measurement problem, the main reason is called vanity sizing. Manufacturers found that if they put a smaller size on clothing, they would sell more, especially with women. Motoport must get measurements the way we show in our sizing guide, not clothing sizes.
5. The Hip Measurement shown on our sizing guide determines the size of the butt on each rider. If the rider makes a mistake on the hip measurement and the butt is too tight or loose the full alteration cost is usually $49.00.
6. Motoport has spent many years developing our Sizing Guide used to show measurements and how to take them. Years ago we had a far more detailed sizing chart to fill out. We found that far more mistakes were made when the Sizing Guide was more complicated. The Sizing Guide has been refined to be as simple as possible. Even the average person should be able to follow this Guide. http://www.motoport.com/sizing-guides/
7. One of the main reasons that the person starting this link fits well in most off the shelf motorcycle gear is the material used. His Olympia is made from plastic coated polyester that has very poor tear/abrasion/seam strength. Some of the Olympia is made from 500 Denier Cordura that is also plastic coated and tears at 21 pounds. This 500 Denier Plastic Coated Cordura is about the best you can find in synthetic motorcycle apparel. Motoport’s blended Stretch Kevlar tears at 429 pounds. Motoport’s Mesh Kevlar blend tears at 1,269 pounds. This Polyester/Cordura is thin. The sleeves are made loose/long. The jacket/pnat can be loose. This Polyester/Cordura just wrinkles up and appears to fit ok. Many of the other companies put Spandex in the areas that need to stretch. This Spandex has no tear/abrasion strength. Riders need to know what other gear is made from. Please read the following links shown on our web site:
http://www.motoport.com/the-save-your-hide-guide/

http://www.motoport.com/motoport-an-evolution/

http://www.motoport.com/what-others-say-about-motoport/

Top Bottom