Doran TPMS Display Mount - ST1300

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OK, finally mounted up the Doran TPMS display. Here's where I put it and how I did it, FWIW! :)

First, here's the display and the handlebar mount that came with it. Mount circumference isn't big enough, so . . . hi ho, hi ho, it's up to ACE I go.

I bought the largest size "clip, vinyl coated, 1 1/4 inch" they had, a bolt, lock nut and washer all for under $2.00. Clip size turned out to be perfect. I also detached the mount plate from the original handlebar mounting bracket.

I mounted it in front of the clutch reservoir. First, using an 8mm socket, I loosened the bolts to the resevoir. The top bolt a lot, bottom bolt not so much. The reservoir just needs to be loose enough to slide the clip around the handle bar.

Next, I modified the clip, by bending the already bent end a little more, about 90 degrees will do it. The pictures shows I also played around bending the end that came straight (flat), but don't . . . that one needs to stay flat as it fits under the mounting plate. I kinda bent it back it's working fine anyway.

I put a loop of electrical tape around for better gripping. I tried 3 and 2 wraps but more than one makes the space between the new bracket and the reservoir to small. One thickness only towards the reservoir, double up in front if you want to overlap.

Straighten out the clip some, then slip the straight edge of the clip up behind the handle bar and bend it back around. Should look something like this:

Run bolt through the mounting plate, through both ends of the clip and attach the washer and lock nut. It took a little effort, but once I caught a few threads, it tightened on just fine.

Slip on the display, bottom to top of the mount (if you put it on upside down, just rotate it around), and the mount is complete.

Run the power and ground wire wherever you want. I ran mine down the steering column, under the tank and back to my fuse panel underneath my rear seat. Screw on the two sensors (be sure to register them with the display first according to the directions) and you're done. Easy breezy.

My eval? The system is easy to install and works fine. I like the Kisan display the best of the three systems I've owned, but their mount made changing tires a PITA. I liked the SmartTIRE system the best overall as it reported temps in addition to pressure, but . . . they're out of business providing MC TPMS systems.

Recommendation? Don't get any TPMS system unless you want to be hooked. Once you ride with one, you won't stop wondering about your tires if you have to do without!

Shuey

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
What did you do with your Kisan? I don't like the hassle of the sensor mounts either. Especially running the wires. I think wireless is the way to go. I'd get rid of my Kisan but I mounted the display on the dash and notched some holes in the dash for the wires. :(

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Shuey
Where did you mount your red light???
Looks cool. and simple....
Mike
I just ordered this system as well. What are your ideas on the light. I know I read somewhere about installing a LED that reflected off the windshield that was for a turn signal reminder...that would be a great thing if this LED is bright enough, think I'm heading to ACE tomorrow...looks like a good setup:D

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Hey, Tiny:
When you get ready to install the Doran, give me a call. I'd like to see what's involved. (We could even do the work in my garage, if you want to ride up to Wichita.)

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
What did you do with your Kisan? :(
Man, I'm sorry for being so late getting back to this thread. Been a little busy which I should be posting up in the next few days.

Not home at the moment, but think I still have the whole kit back at home. Interested in it? If so, I'll make you a sweet deal. PM me as it may be a while before I get back to this thread again.

Shuey

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Shuey
Where did you mount your red light???
Looks cool. and simple....
Mike
Mike and Tiny,

I don't remember mine coming with a red light and the warning light on the display is plenty bright enough for me, even with direct noon sun beating down, so . . . I'm not adding one. To each his own.

Shuey

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Hey, Tiny:
When you get ready to install the Doran, give me a call. I'd like to see what's involved. (We could even do the work in my garage, if you want to ride up to Wichita.)
Will do Roger. Might take you up on that garage.
Mike and Tiny,

I don't remember mine coming with a red light and the warning light on the display is plenty bright enough for me, even with direct noon sun beating down, so . . . I'm not adding one. To each his own.

Shuey
Good to know it is bright...Will probably try with just the unit first.

Thanks

Shuey, thanks for the pictorial and instructions. I just mounted mine in less than an hour. My biggest problem was finding the 1 /14 inc clamp. Went to 4 stores and then had to order it.

Thank you

Bike
2006 ST1300
We are in the market for a pair of TPMS for our bikes. I liked the Orange, but no luck getting one now. If I read this correctly, the Doran has the kind of sensor that just threads onto the valve stem? If so, any issues with them not sealing well and losing pressure? Will they work with 90 degree valve stems?

Can you set the warning pressure, or is it preset? Is the display meant to be waterproof for all weather riding, or does it have to be sealed or covered up?

So my 1 hour easy install is turning out to be a standard install where there is a lot more to it. Nhdiesel, to answer some of your questions, the Doran comes with 2 metal valve stems, straight and 90 degrees. You must use metal valve stems. It can also be installed inside the tire using their special valves. Here is my issue, I already had metal 90 degree valves so I used them. I finished the install and put the bike away. Today when I tried to roll the bike out I could feel the sensor hitting the brake caliper. These sensors are a lot larger than the ones on the tireguard system. As a result I have to take my front wheel off and change the value and make sure it is angled where I can put air in the tire and it does not hit the caliper.

I am reluctant to install the sensor inside the tire because if a battery dies I have to remove the tire to replace it. Also I know that when I change tires I will forget the sensor is there and will break it when removing or installing the tire.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
So my 1 hour easy install is turning out to be a standard install where there is a lot more to it. Nhdiesel, to answer some of your questions, the Doran comes with 2 metal valve stems, straight and 90 degrees. You must use metal valve stems. It can also be installed inside the tire using their special valves. Here is my issue, I already had metal 90 degree valves so I used them. I finished the install and put the bike away. Today when I tried to roll the bike out I could feel the sensor hitting the brake caliper. These sensors are a lot larger than the ones on the tireguard system. As a result I have to take my front wheel off and change the value and make sure it is angled where I can put air in the tire and it does not hit the caliper.

I am reluctant to install the sensor inside the tire because if a battery dies I have to remove the tire to replace it. Also I know that when I change tires I will forget the sensor is there and will break it when removing or installing the tire.
On my bike, the sensor would not fit externally on the front wheel or it would hit the calipers. I installed it inside and put the 90 deg. valve stem on but had to angle it. On the rear I had tons of room to do it externally. The batteries should last two or three seasons I would think........

Jim, totally waterproof, programmable set points, but must use metal stems (straight and angled sets come with it), internally must use Doran's, externally they replace a normal cap.

Slight downside, it takes 6 minutes to get your readings, so hook up power to a switch you can turn on without the engine running, or check pressures manually before you head out.

RaYzerman, is there a reason your not recommending it be hard wired to full time power? I believe it draws almost no power.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
RaYzerman, is there a reason your not recommending it be hard wired to full time power? I believe it draws almost no power.
Of course you can hard wire it, but a draw is a draw. Do I leave my voltmeter and GPS on too? They add up in addition to the bikes draw........ I just prefer to have a way to shut these devices down for those periods that I might not have a battery tender plugged in.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The reason most of us need to add air to our tires is from . . . manually checking the air pressure! Air is lost with every press of the valve stem. Hard to imagine riding without a TPMS once you start using one.

- 6 min (approx) wait for reading to come up when you start-up . . . no problem. If there's a problem and air pressure has dropped beyond safe . . . the monitor DOESN'T WAIT the 6 minutes. It'll flash red immediately and indicate the tire. (Give it a try Ray) It happens to me frequently when I make a dramatic elevation change, stop for the night and start up in the am with cold tires.
- have 90 degree valve stems with front tire stem angled. no problems.
- have mine hard wired to the bike. turns on/off with the bike power.
- have sensors external and bought/carry an extra sensor. If one dies, I'll just swap it out, program the new sensor id# and I'm off.
- have over 65k on this pair of sensors and . . . no problems yet.
- when you need to add air to a tire, put in an extra 1/2 lb as you'll lose it screwing the sensor back on.

Shuey

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Shuey, you're right, just remembered I got the flashing red the other day when I started it up (powers up with ignition). Now that you bring it up, that will provide better peace of mind if one takes off before the 6 minutes.. Also, good tip on adding the extra 1/2 lb. I think battery life will depend moreso on time, with some effect of mileage (duty cycle) and storage conditions (extreme cold or hot), Doran says 3-4 years (IIRC, SmartTire said up to 7 years for theirs).

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OK, new update . . .

Running down the road yesterday, some Fall color, overcast, having a great time when . . . the windshield starts glowing red. A quick glance all I see on the TPMS are a dashed line and a solid red warning light, really BRIGHT warning light. Flat? Do a little bike shake and tires seem fine; no shimmy. Test again, still fine. Press the check button and front tire shows it's fine, problem is in the rear.

So, I pull over and check the rear tire. Don't see any problem. Sensor lost? Nope, right there and tight. Best guess is the battery has finally died. Fortunately, I carry a spare. Replaced the sensor, reprogrammed the new ID number into the TPMS and I'm off. Situation normal.

Go another 60-70 miles and same thing, but for the front tire. Alas, no more spares; I'll just have to tolerate the red glow the rest of the way home. Go another 20 miles or so and . . . the light goes out. Everything back to normal. ???????

Will call Doran tomorrow and see what they have to add. I'm even wondering if the original rear sensor is actually dead or I should just put it back on and give it a try.

Stay tuned,

Shuey

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I thought I'd update after having the system on for (I think) a year and 10 months (don't know how long they were on the shelf at Doran). I like the Doran in general, not so much waiting at a morning start-up for the system to obtain readings. A riding buddy of mine has his wired to power directly, no waiting. A winter project will be to hard wire it with a manual switch so I can turn it off for extended storage periods.

Another thing to know is, according to my buddy, if the actual tire pressure has dropped 12.5% below your set points, it will display the red light immediately on power up, no waiting... not sure how that works...... will have to perform my own tests and post up. Edit - Sorry Shuey, see you already answered this.... my reading comprehension is very slow today.

As far as not having temperature readings like SmartTire or other systems, one adapts. Over time, you see what is a normal pressure increase when the tires warm up, dependent also on outside ambient temperatures. The system will work as advertised, no need to be concerned with temperatures IMHO, still interesting info though.

Yesterday, prepared for a ride, and the system took forever to obtain the rear sensor. Eventually, the flashing red light came on after a very long time, got the front reading but a dashed line for the rear. Battery is obviously dead. When this happens, press the button for pressure readings and the red light turns to solid and the display alternates front and rear pressure readings until powered down..... rear of course was a dashed line. The long wait and the flashing light repeated during the day.

So, battery life for my sensor is just under two years. The good news is my rear is externally mounted so easy change. Also, I did not use the "lock" device that came with it, so just screw it off and on when needing air. No issues whatsoever with sealing or coming loose in those two years.

My front is mounted internal...... more of a PITA if it goes dead, just a matter of time. I will order replacement sensors and replace closer to springtime, or upon next front tire change. Have not found anywhere to buy sensors except from Doran (nor have I called them).

Unlike SmartTire sensors that needed vibration (and a 6 minute wait) to activate, I think the Doran (and similar sensors) are perhaps constantly on and transmitting, therefore may explain a 2 year life. Maybe they go to sleep if not installed (pressure zero)? Maybe they just have weenie batteries? Will have to ask Doran about this.

But I am curious what battery life others are experiencing either with Doran or other manufacturers, and how long a replacement sensor lasted.

Last edited:

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
I had mine for about two years now and love it no problem at all!!! Maybe should order a couple extra sensors just in case.

Jay

Doran TPMS 002.jpg

Doran TPMS 003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Replaced both of my sensors, first the front, then the rear after about 2 years of service and . . . a few miles. Discussed that earlier on this thread I think.

Called Doran and asked the question. Like Ray said, the sensors are "always on and transmitting." Kay at Doran concurred that on average they have about a 2 year life span. Replacements/spares cost $25/each. I might rethink carrying spares since they'll wear out in approximately . . . two years!

I tried calling back to ask if they're "on" from the time of manufacture until dead or just when they're in place and pressure is applied. They just closed for the day. I'll call tomorrow with this follow-up question. Hopefully, they're only "on" when pressure is present.

Shuey

Last edited:
Top Bottom