Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KLR 650 Ride; more fun than a day at Disneyland

Bike
    2003 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

KLR 650 Ride; more fun than a day at Disneyland

My buddy with no wives, has just bought his fourth bike: a KLR650. We traded bikes, and I followed him on wet country roads. For a reason I can't figure, the bike inspires confidence and I kept up with him despite being on knobbies. The wide bars and upright stance are not fatiguing and the newer style fairing has very good knee protection and moderate windshield effectiveness. It could use a taller windshield, but at least it doesn't have buffeting. The lightness of the bike and the high seat position somehow works to make the experience easy. The shocks work well enough for rough road and potholes. I twisted it up to 80 mph on wet roads and only had a "no worries, mate" attitude; I probably would have ridden slower on my ST. With a taller windshield and grip warmers, this would be a terrific commuter bike.

› See More: KLR 650 Ride; more fun than a day at Disneyland
    Jon Auster
    '03 ST 1300
    with lotsa goodies

" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. " ~Mark Twain

Bike
    05 ST 1300
    My Gallery

Re: KLR 650 Ride; more fun than a day at Disneyland

I get ask all the time , Why you have two KLR 650's,
    The answer is.
    Lots of fun, got one packed now , needed up to and around Queens, N.M for a few days...
    Stealth camping and all that stuff....
    Mike

Tip Overs:
    My Gallery

You've also discovered a well known feature of this style of bike, including the BMW GS.....they are really good in the twisties and are comfortable with an upright riding position.
    So many peeps have KLRs on this site that you have to consider the reason. Very accomodating to many styles of riding. A fun bike.
    Jim

Bike
    2004 1300
    My Gallery

I sold my 1990 KLR a few years ago and missed it so much I've now bought an XR650R. It has knobblies and SM wheels. Its a hoot!! Completely different from the ST1300 and my GSXR 1100. Each have vastly differing performance, styles and handling. It is nice to hop on each one and appreciate the bike for what its is. Always grinning from ear to ear no matter which one it is!

My Gallery

Amazing how 300lbs or so LESS bike makes it SOOO much more fun!!!!!

STreaker---love your sig line!!!

"Too often. . .I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.”

Every fall and a few weekends during the summer, a few friends and I do a dual-sport trip, taking as many dirt roads as we can enroute to a trail destination like Moab or Ouray, set up camp, and spend a few nights as we explore incredible passes, views, mountaintop mines, etc. Great fun. I would highly recommend it. Older KLR650s can be had for $2K or so.

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't indypup's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

I rode my 2008 KLR650 just about every day this past winter. I had D606's on with Aerostich studs and could go anywhere. I've since taken the studs out but still love riding the bike anywhere. I'm sure I'll be riding the ST13 more now that the weather has improved.
    Roger Willis / Indy (indypup) pictured below. My BLOG... My VIDEOS...
    2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 2007 Uni-go trailer, 2009 Bushtec trailer

Only a dog knows why a biker hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.

Bike
    2009 Versys
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

I spent the weekend on the KLR. Great bike for just that. I don't want to jump on the bike and do 500+ mile days either. I would love to do some riding in mountains, but would definately trailer the bike there and then do the exploring. I picked my 01 up for 1k. I feel like I can really give the thing a beating because I am not out that much if I tear it up. Not to worried about dropping it either.
    Landon
    09 Versys
    06 KLX250s
    If I die ridin', I died smilin'
    STOC #6106

Bike
    2006 Ninja 650R
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Nice!

Can't wait to have a pair of older KLRs in the garage for Karla and I. They'd make a wonderful addition to some light "standard" style street bikes for us.
    2006 Ninja 650R "DLW" - his
    2000 ZR7 "Blue" - hers
    1994 ST11 "Kita" - RIP, 1988 C10 "Jesse" - RIP, 2001 Shadow Sabre - Sold, 1995 Vulcan 750 - Sold
    http://smashrides.blogspot.com/

Bike
    GL1800
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

John Diego and I getting lost in Borrego area this weekend. They are a hoot and you can also tour on them.

Alaska - Hyder

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast