KLR 650 Ride; more fun than a day at Disneyland

Bike
2003 ST1300
My buddy with no wives, has just bought his fourth bike: a KLR650. We traded bikes, and I followed him on wet country roads. For a reason I can't figure, the bike inspires confidence and I kept up with him despite being on knobbies. The wide bars and upright stance are not fatiguing and the newer style fairing has very good knee protection and moderate windshield effectiveness. It could use a taller windshield, but at least it doesn't have buffeting. The lightness of the bike and the high seat position somehow works to make the experience easy. The shocks work well enough for rough road and potholes. I twisted it up to 80 mph on wet roads and only had a "no worries, mate" attitude; I probably would have ridden slower on my ST. With a taller windshield and grip warmers, this would be a terrific commuter bike.

Bike
2004 1300
I sold my 1990 KLR a few years ago and missed it so much I've now bought an XR650R. It has knobblies and SM wheels. Its a hoot!! Completely different from the ST1300 and my GSXR 1100. Each have vastly differing performance, styles and handling. It is nice to hop on each one and appreciate the bike for what its is. Always grinning from ear to ear no matter which one it is!

Bike
04 ST1300
Every fall and a few weekends during the summer, a few friends and I do a dual-sport trip, taking as many dirt roads as we can enroute to a trail destination like Moab or Ouray, set up camp, and spend a few nights as we explore incredible passes, views, mountaintop mines, etc. Great fun. I would highly recommend it. Older KLR650s can be had for $2K or so.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I rode my 2008 KLR650 just about every day this past winter. :D I had D606's on with Aerostich studs and could go anywhere. I've since taken the studs out but still love riding the bike anywhere. I'm sure I'll be riding the ST13 more now that the weather has improved.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I spent the weekend on the KLR. Great bike for just that. I don't want to jump on the bike and do 500+ mile days either. I would love to do some riding in mountains, but would definately trailer the bike there and then do the exploring. I picked my 01 up for 1k. I feel like I can really give the thing a beating because I am not out that much if I tear it up. Not to worried about dropping it either.

Bike
GL1800
John Diego and I getting lost in Borrego area this weekend. They are a hoot and you can also tour on them.

Alaska - Hyder

OP
OP
STreaker
Bike
2003 ST1300
Amazing how 300lbs or so LESS bike makes it SOOO much more fun!!!!!

STreaker---love your sig line!!!

Here's another one from Mark (I call him by his first name as I've been reading his works steadily for 18 months. I hope he never stops writing!) BTW, there is a famous bench in Tumwater, WA next to Olympia, WA. It has a life size Mark Twain sitting on it. I'll have my picture taken next to him first good day we get here.

The gentle reader will never, never know what a consummate *** he can become until he goes abroad. I speak now, of course, in the supposition that the gentle reader has not been abroad, and therefore is not already a consummate ***. If the case be otherwise, I beg his pardon and extend to him the cordial hand of fellowship and call him brother.
- Innocents Abroad

*s are from the editor, Probably an automatic edit. The *s stand for the three letters that spell a horse's behind. Mark Twain would have a good laugh to think that what he wrote in 1867 is still being censored.

Last edited:

scootac

Will Ride for Food
*s are from the editor, Probably an automatic edit. The *s stand for the three letters that spell a horse's behind. Mark Twain would have a good laugh to think that what he wrote in 1867 is still being censored.
Yes,Twain would probably laugh at that, as he had a great sense of humor.
And he would probably write (maybe has written?) a little saying about those who have no sense of humor, and attempt to censor him.

Top Bottom