Removing windshield completely for hot weather riding question

Bike
2004 ST1300
It's almost April in Florida and the temps are starting to climb. Even with the windshield all the way at lowest position (both the mounting point and the lowest position of travel) I do not get enough airflow across my chest-I literally hang off to the left when it's really really hot and I'm moving more than say 45mph.

Even at 80mph+ on the highway I never raise the shield unless I hit some rain.

Do any members have experience with removing the shield for hot (or any weather for that matter) riding conditions?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Haven't heard of anyone taking it all the way off, but there is a thread about cutting them down so that it is even with the top of the dash.

Bike
2006 ST1300
i had my stock shield chopped down 3 inches @ a local glass shop. this really helped. huge amount of air when its all the way down.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'll add a vote for buying a used one and cutting it down. There might be times (such as rain) when you'll miss it if you take it completely off. Plus you get the ugly factor of having useless brackets sticking out the front. I like the one st11ray linked to- it looks good, is just as low as the dash so it allows maximum airflow, and you can still raise it for those bad-weather times.

Jim

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have a shield that was cut down by Skyboybry... Very nice for the hot part of the summer.

Not today, though... 28 degrees, a 20 mph wind, and driving snow showers. I needed that windshield up today. First time I've used level 3 on the heated grips.

2G

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
I have one for sale if you're interested. It's 7" cut down & 2" off each side, and the shape of the dash. It's above the dash 1" all the way down, and it provides some protection when up. The edges are perfect. It looks really cooool. No backpressure and plenty of clear, clean wind. $125 and that includes shipping. Check out the other shields I've cut, clicky my linky below, or you can always send me yours.

Pretty much like leaving your shield off the bike, try that first!

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Very nice work--Took the ST out today without the shield--Was great off highway, 70-80mph was a little tough (head buffeting on my Bell Star) so a cut down shield looks like the way to go. I'll touch base when I can send mine off. I'm thinking the 6 inch cut with 2 inches off the side will do me right--6'1, 34 inch inseam.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
skyboybry nice design :) ...

Sammy901, if you have it cut 5 down ( That's how it was originally presented to skyboybry when he cut mine) you still get plenty of air flow, but that extra 1 or 2 inches gives you just enough shield to divert rain over you if needed . Just something to think about with Florida spot summer showers Send your shield to skyboybry, he'll do right, excellent workmanship.

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
The shield I always ride with now is at the same level as the top of the dash, I raise it about an inch or two, I love the air blast. It's the lowest shield I've cut, but you really have to like that 'naked' feel.

You can send me your shield any time you're ready. I'm always here!

Thanks for all the shout-outs, glad yous guys are still happy... 'preciatecha!

sbB

Top Bottom