'98 ST preflight checklist & maintenance

Bike
98 ST1100
Hi all, new member here and about to become a first time ST owner after having been off bikes for a decade. In about a month I will be flying to Denver to pick up a 98 ST1100 that's been sitting in a friends garage, unridden for at least 3 years. 65k on the clock.
Last week we put the battery in, fired it up and I spun it around the neighborhood about 5 miles. Seems to run perfectly though I did feel it was a teeny bit underpowered (compared to my old r1100r). I'm guessing it might just need to blow through a couple tanks of gas and stretch her legs. The brakes felt a little spongy compared to my old Bmer as well. This is probably my biggest concern. The ability to stop is far more important than the ability to go.

I will be riding her back to San Diego from Denver. Will take some time off work so that I can ride at whatever pace I like. I'm guessing 3 to 4 days. I thought I'd check in here and get the groups thoughts on the bike. I plan on taking it to Honda in Denver and they will give her a medical checkup for $100 in an hours time. The tires are 90%+.

My thoughts were to replace pretty much all fluids. Brakes, oil, final drive. I used to run mobile 1 in the Bmer. Plan to do the same here unless y'all suggest otherwise. If anyone wishes to chime in, here are a few questions I have...

1 - what specifically do you recommend I have the shop look at?
2- are there nuances to the bike that I should be aware of during my ride?
3 - does anyone have an ST1100 preflight routine they go through before firing up for a 500 mile day?
4- do you have a list of 'absolute minimum essentials' for LD travel?
I used to keep a tank bag of Plexus, tire gauge, CO2 tire repair kit, sun glasses, pocket knife, swim suit and a bottle of water always on the bike.

Regards,

:)

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Since you are picking up the bike out of town and don't have all the tools to service it yourself... It would be wise to have someone familiar with the ST check it out... not necessarily a shop as they may be motivated by the dollar sign. Perhaps there may be a forum member or two around the area that can guide/help you through the process. Number one on my list would be the tires and brakes. Check the date code as mentioned and get the brakes flushed. With the bike sitting that long, the fluid could possibly be turning to jello. It would also be a good thing to pick up a can of "Seafoam" fuel system cleaner and use it on your ride back. I would use it double strength for the first couple of tanks, then use it up with the remaining fill ups. Sitting that long, there could be some ethanol build up in the carbs and cleaner would be a good place to start. Take it easy on it at first because the ST are a little heavy with a high center of gravity. The weight will go away when your moving, but parking lots and gas stations... getting on and off the bike you will notice the weight. A tire plug kit is always handy as well as a small compressor to inflate the tires it needed. Engine oil change would be good especially if there is no documentation as when it was last done. (Not a bad idea because it's been sitting...) Take it for a good spin before starting out on your journey and then double check for things like coolant leaks, fork seals...etc.

Good luck and be safe!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
1st congratulations on the new ride enjoy the trip. :)

My thoughts were to replace pretty much all fluids. Brakes, oil, final drive.
Good thoughts. Pulling the rear and checking the drive splines also was a good idea. Clean it and put some fresh moly paste on them. Maybe pull and check the plugs? When was the air filter last changed?

1 - what specifically do you recommend I have the shop look at?
Check out a local tech event for diy maintenance. Use the $100 on the fluid changes.

4- do you have a list of 'absolute minimum essentials' for LD travel?
I used to keep a tank bag of Plexus, tire gauge, CO2 tire repair kit, sun glasses, pocket knife, swim suit and a bottle of water always on the bike.

I'd ditch the co2 and go with a small compressor like the smallest slime one. You won't have tools on the way back home but 65k ain't that many miles, A copy of the RAN list would be good. Seafoam wouldn't be a bad idea in the 1st coupla tanks or techron.

Non silicate antifreeze honda type II isn't a bad one or the yellow jug.
Oil of your choice just not the energy conserving ones that don't play well with a wet clutch.
Lot of folks use mobile 1 hypoid in the final.

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Congratulations on your puchase! Makes for a nice road trip home;). You'll be passin' thru G.Junction, so if you wanna give it another good 'look-over' before the 500mi. ride to Vegas from here, give me a call @970-640-7221. I'm located right off I-70 one mile in Clifton. BTW, you got bout a 3 1/2hr. ride from Denver to here and a bit over half a tank of fuel usage with 75mph speed limits. Nevada, those limits will go to 80mph.
As Karen stated, have rain gear. If you don't ,the seller I'm sure can point you to that huge accessory shop off of 6th Ave in Denver.(rain is NOT a warm shower @ 8-11,000ft.)Bike is not gonna feel as 'snappy' here at 5,000ft. as they do at sea level. Don't mistake that for a 'running isssue.'
You WILL be pushing some heavy headwinds/crosswinds once out into Utah and across Nevada, but will a good initiation to bikes handling charecteristics:D:).

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Here's my thoughts for you:

As you have planned, change oil and filter, change rear drive oil (synthetic 75W/90), flush brake and clutch fluids, remove rear wheel and clean and lube the splines with Honda Moly 60 (you have time to order some from California Sport Touring). If you think the coolant needs a change, you can drain most of it from the rad drain plug. There will still be about 1/2 a litre in the block, but I wouldn't worry about that. Use Honda coolant, or other non silicate formula. At least check the rad level (cold) and the overflow tank level, if nothing else.

If the bike seems to be running well, as you implied, the Seafoam treatment may be unnecessary and a waste of money. I would fill up with a few tanks of the "high test" Chevron on the way home. It has the most Techron cleaning agent in it of all their fuel grades, with no ethanol, and will help to clean out any carb deposits.

A previous poster mentioned the weight of this machine, but since you have had a brief ride, I'm sure you noticed the 700 pounds below you. However, the statement that this bike has a high centre of gravity is not correct. It is actually quite low, which makes it a great handler in the twisties, but that matters little if you should lose your footing whilst padding around into a parking space. Once it gets tipped over a bit, it is a bear to hold up, so don't try. You might only hurt yourself. The engine mounted tip over wings will protect all the bodywork in a simple tip over.

Another note on parking. Never park facing into a downhill slope, no matter how slight it seems. Pulling 700 pounds out of a space like that is not easy, unless you are built like Arnie. You'll only make that mistake once.;)

If the tires are a few years old (even five) but have good tread, with no evidence of any cracking in the sidewalls, I would ride them home.

When I'm on a LD trip, I fill the tank before stopping for the day, which makes early starts less problematic when no gas stations are open yet. I'll clean most of the bug guts off after each day too, as they are easier to get off when "fresh" than baked on for a few weeks. Bring your own cleaning rags. Some motels offer them to motorcycle guests, but not always and it is nasty to use motel towels for cleaning your bike. Inspect the tires for any nails or other debris possibly picked up and check the oil level, then go for dinner.

Pack some warm clothes (thermal underwear) for under your riding gear. Mountain temps can be deceivingly cool. Good gloves. I always carry two pair, summer and winter weight. Nothing worse, than riding cold and shivering.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Scroll down to the Regional Forums section and post your plan to the Team Colorado thread. They are a very active and helpful bunch of folks (they saved my bacon a couple years back). I bet you will get some offers from some of the Denver area folks to help you check the bike out and do whatever maintenance is needed to prepare for the ride home.

Enjoy the new bike and welcome to the ST family. Hopefully the weather gods will smile on you and you have a great ride back home. :-D

OP
OP
Bike
98 ST1100
Congratulations on your puchase! Makes for a nice road trip home;). You'll be passin' thru G.Junction, so if you wanna give it another good 'look-over' before the 500mi. ride to Vegas from here, give me a call @970-640-7221. I'm located right off I-70 one mile in Clifton. BTW, you got bout a 3 1/2hr. ride from Denver to here and a bit over half a tank of fuel usage with 75mph speed limits. Nevada, those limits will go to 80mph.
As Karen stated, have rain gear. If you don't ,the seller I'm sure can point you to that huge accessory shop off of 6th Ave in Denver.(rain is NOT a warm shower @ 8-11,000ft.)Bike is not gonna feel as 'snappy' here at 5,000ft. as they do at sea level. Don't mistake that for a 'running isssue.'
You WILL be pushing some heavy headwinds/crosswinds once out into Utah and across Nevada, but will a good initiation to bikes handling charecteristics:D:).
Thanks for reaching out Brant. I may do that. Haven't started planning the trip yet but will likely go to GJunction and then south down the million dollar highway in a general southerly direction. I generally do not plan when it comes to cycling. I tend to just point in a general direction and go. That's why the swimming suit in the tank bag. Going to ship all my riding gear ahead of me to Denver, buy a new helmet there and start an adventure.

OP
OP
Bike
98 ST1100
Rain gear, don't forget to pack your rain gear!
check!
colorado monsoon season is BRUTAL!
and I've ridden is snowfall every month of the summer in CO. I used to live in Summit County and ride from there.
I will have my heated vest along.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Another note on parking. Never park facing into a downhill slope, no matter how slight it seems.
Isn't that advisable for just any motorcycle? ;-) (I always have to giggle observing folks trying to get their front wheel off the curb... but I guess we've all been there at least once...)
Pulling 700 pounds out of a space like that is not easy, unless you are built like Arnie.
Actually only a matter of technique/practise... them guys at the workshop push them rigs around like bicycles...
Stand on LHS of the bike, face rearward, left hand on left handle, right hand on the saddle (at the 'step' to the pillion seat), and that's where you push it, left hand is only keeping balance and steering... works flawless once you've got the hang of it...
With some run-up you could actually back it up over a curb with this method... if you dare :lol:

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Actually only a matter of technique/practise... them guys at the workshop push them rigs around like bicycles...
Let's not forget Martin that you are 15 years younger than I, at least 6 inches taller than I and probably dozens of pounds heavier than I - more closely resembling Arnold Schwarzenegger than I do! :D The guys in the workshop usually have a flat floor too!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Age is only (purely?) a state of mind... ;-)

OK, I'm 186cm/6'1", long legged/armed, currently 98kg/216lbs...
When I got my first ST in '92 I had a huge respect of that thing... heavy, pricey, powerful, etc... had to learn a lot in the first 3 years, no doubt...
and when backing it up on flat ground I do feel more safe sitting on it and paddling it back with my size 13+ hoofs, but that's no use when there is a step or a ramp (like getting it our the washing place at the gas station, or a gravelled parking place), there I totally rely on above technique which was fortunately trained to me by my mechanic, and beST friend...

Bike
92 ST1100
Thanks for reaching out Brant. I may do that. Haven't started planning the trip yet but will likely go to GJunction and then south down the million dollar highway in a general southerly direction. I generally do not plan when it comes to cycling. I tend to just point in a general direction and go. That's why the swimming suit in the tank bag. Going to ship all my riding gear ahead of me to Denver, buy a new helmet there and start an adventure.
There ya' go........sounds like a plan of expereience;). Can even get that swimsuit wet at the hot springs in Ouray:rolleyes:. I regularly ride that route down to Durango and back for a fun day ride. Like you, I only plan where to end up, not necessarily how to get there or when. It's about the ride.

Bike
92 ST1100
BTW, with the "lived in Summit county" statement, that pretty much makes you a 'riding apparral guru';). PerformanceCycle has large sections for every aspect of riding with large varieties of flavors(brands). Has always been worth the ride over and back for me:).

OP
OP
Bike
98 ST1100
BTW, with the "lived in Summit county" statement, that pretty much makes you a 'riding apparral guru';). PerformanceCycle has large sections for every aspect of riding with large varieties of flavors(brands). Has always been worth the ride over and back for me:).
i was just in there last week trying on Arai helmets. Seems like what I need but the price is a real zinger. I'm a long oval shape I believe, and living in San Diego anticipate needing priority on ventilation.
Shoei saved my noodle a decade ago in 55mph superman get-off, but it never really fit me well. The Arai fits very well with room for my glasses (bonus).

Very cool shop though.

OP
OP
Bike
98 ST1100
Isn't that advisable for just any motorcycle? ;-) (I always have to giggle observing folks trying to get their front wheel off the curb... but I guess we've all been there at least once...)

Stand on LHS of the bike, face rearward, left hand on left handle, right hand on the saddle (at the 'step' to the pillion seat), and that's where you push it, left hand is only keeping balance and steering... works flawless once you've got the hang of it...
With some run-up you could actually back it up over a curb with this method... if you dare :lol:
i need to see a YouTube video of this. Ya just never know when a Sr. Moment might overtake and forget about your parking slope!

Top Bottom