Has anyone taken the ST full LED (minus HeadLight)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Has anybody replaced all the 7443's with LED's?

I tried it on mine today and it started doing some strange things.
Like lighting the turn signals when I hit the brakes. Not running the flasher unit, but the turn signals would illuminate.

i could just have some strange led replacement bulbs too. Like on the brake lights, they did not want to operate properly if their was still an incandescent bulb in the other holder.

rhc

Bike
2005 St1300
I just installed the LED replacements for the brake lights and tried them one at a time. I had no problem with one led and one incandescent working just fine. I did not notice any strange affects.
I was using the Super Bright Leds brand if that helps (7443-R3W-FL)

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Yep, all of the bulbs on my ST, including the headlights, are LED's.

I have the electronic flasher, and I also bought my 7443's from SuperBrightLEDs.

Bike
ST1300 - Black
Dido - all replaced except headlight.
Electric flasher relay.
LED from Super Bright LED.
No Back Off unit installed.
Used LED's bulbs with built in flasher, for brake lights.

Avtrician

Lighting the turn signals when putting on the brakes, usually means a bad earth on that light. IE, the brake light earth is bad, at the shared earth for the indicator so the power goes through the indicator, back along the circuit to a better earth at the matching indicator.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Great Post.

Dido - all replaced except headlight.
Electric flasher relay.
LED from Super Bright LED.
No Back Off unit installed.
Used LED's bulbs with built in flasher, for brake lights.
What electric flasher relay did you use? The brake flasher LED bulbs really interests me. I have a Givi top box with a brake light; would this need to be LED too or could I leave it as is?

usually means a bad earth on that light
I'm not an electrician. What's bad earth, a ground?

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yeah.. I should have known better then this. I spent half a day trying to chase down where this strange stray voltage was originating from.

The brake being applied giving me my lit turn signals is due to the replacement LED units I was using.
I should have known that when I put in the one LED brake light and it wouldn't work until I removed the other incandescent that these were not satisfactory replacements.

The LED's are back feeding some voltage out of one circuit when the other is powered. A simple set of diodes would correct the problem, but the manufacturer tried to save half a penny and built a cheap power supply in the bulb.

So next time I get in 7443 LED replacements, do a side-by-side comparison with the incandescent. If I can't, don't use it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I bought a set of tail light/brake light bulbs based on a very recent thread here and they were from SuperBright as well.

There's only one installed right now and both bulbs work correctly and no turn signal added. I didn't check for polarity and the LED lit up the first time. Did I get lucky or do some LEDs work regardless of which way they're installed.

Bike
ST1300 - Black
OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
. Did I get lucky or do some LEDs work regardless of which way they're installed.
Yes... for a very small amount of cash, replacement LED bulb assemblies can be additionally designed to work regardless of polarity.

Avtrician

Bad earth = bad ground, or bad return line. Usually is due to corrosion on the wire where it connects to the frame.

I am an aero electrician by trade

The MCC brand cruise control needs incandescent brake lights in order to work. Just keep that in mind. My ST came already equipped with the GL switch cruise control mod. Don't know if that works with the LEDs. I haven't got around to trying it yet.
I did just stick LED headlights in, however!

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The MCC brand cruise control needs incandescent brake lights in order to work. Just keep that in mind.
Thanks Kevin.

I know the Rostra prefers to see incandescent lights in the brake positions too, but there is a work-around using a SPDT relay.
Being able to see ground and see +12v on brakes is a safety feature to help ensure everything is working on the brake circuit.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Just FYI... I finally find the heart of the issue. The trailer wiring adapter I was using was backfeeding some power up the turn signal lines when the brakes are applied. The incandescent lamps wouldn't even notice this and just pass it to ground. The LED's are too sensitive and would light with that current.

Lesson leaned, if you plan on taking the bike to full LED bulbs (brake and turn signals) be sure you get an LED compatible trailer adapter. When they say LED comatible they don't mean the LED's on the trailer, they mean LED's on the tow vehicle.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I avoided the potential for problems all together and replaced my ST with a new Honda that has all LED lighting (including headlights) from the factory :grin:
Haven't decided yet if I want to put a trailer hitch on this one yet. So potential for camper to be up for sale in the spring if I decide that way for sure... maybe.
Besides, the camper does not have LED lights (may have to change that if I keep it).

Top Bottom