Helmets I hate helmets!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
There was a study published in the UK about a year ago on various makes and their correlating real-world safety rating vs price. One of the premium brands seriously under-performed on the SHARP testing in the UK, it was bested or matched by several sub-$100(US) helmets.
The science behind helmet design is fairly mature in 2015. How much labor and materials are in any helmet, anyway? $25-$40 is being generous, based on my background in manufacturing.
whenever I travel to foreign countries I notice that due to market conditions in the US, I'm rarely able to purchase something outside of the US for less than it costs here. Its been a while since I checked, so my data is old, but helmets were one of those rare exceptions. They seemed to cost less elsewhere, presumably because the lawsuit threat in the US added a premium above and beyond the manufacturing costs.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Last edited:

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Start hitting all the local cycle shops to try them on. Take notes while wearing. You could even do a major bike show where all the major vendors are there to try them on all in one spot. It takes time and work but it is worth it. Took me quite a few trips when switching from full face (Arai) to modular (Shoei). Good luck!!

Skip

Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
Lots of good responses here. My 2 cents...

- I use Revzilla... NEVER have I had a problem. I have purchased 2 Nolan helmets... N90 & N91... fit great and customer service bent over backwards to sooth my worries before I even purchased them

- My brother in law purchased a couple of Nolans (don't know where) but ran into a fitment issue. He purchased cheek-pads to either loosen or tighten the fit. Worked great (as Slasher and richpeabody suggested)

A comfortable helmet is a must. Good luck finding the one for you.

OP
OP
stephensl
Bike
2005 ST 1300
Still looking for the perfect fit, all this information has been most valuable though. Thanks fellow two-wheelers!

Top Bottom