ST1300 & Hannigan Side Car

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Ok...
The knees have just about given out entirely...so I am looking around for options...and the main one would be adding a side car....
In doing research, I came across this little outfit called OVCScooters in Acton, Ontario (just west of Toronto) that specializes in sidecar installations.

http://www.ovcscooters.ca/

He apparently will install any kind of sidecar you want on any bike you want...and he has installed two Hannigan Sport sidecars on ST1300s'...

He said the ST is one of the smoothest riding sidecar modifications...

My concern, is it is going to run me over $16,000. to do the mods...

Anyone here have any experience or 2 cents they can input????

Much thanks...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think for that price a can am might be a better option, they aren't cheap either of course.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
In Ontario there is a Ural dealer in both Ottawa and Acton might be worth your while to visit them and see if they would let you take one for a test ride, then at least you would know if you could live with a sidecar. Maybe at the same time find a Spyder to test ride and see which three wheel flavour you prefer.

Gerhard

Bike
2000 ST1100
I have owned a ural... fun rig if not completely reliable. The 2014 and newer bikes with EFI are supposed to be much better than my 2004 was. If you want to ride a hack you should really test drive one before commiting.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
A side car appeals to me too. Thought about a Ural but,... read this: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/why-you-should-not-buy-a-ural-motorcycle.794963/. Looked into what it'd take to put a side car on the ST when I get a new bike and found a place in Dallas for about $8,000 which conducts training before you take off; can't find the site right now. I'll look some more and repost it. $16,000 on an 8 year old bike sounds way to high.

The wife has a Can AM. When outfitted for touring they are pricey (about $25,000 new) but they are very fun.

How about a Miata? Can use it as local car too! New about $30,000. Used, find a deal?

That site was http://www.texassidecars.com/. Out of business now, dang!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ndttech
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Couple of things to update...

The 16,000 is just for the sidecar and install...I supply my 2007 ST for the mods...of course that is taking in the difference between the US and Canadian dollar right now...

The main rider in the chair would be my 115 lb Gerberian Shepsky...he wants to go everywhere with me...and maybe my son occasionally...

If you go to the Hannigan website they have all their pricing right there for parts and installs...wondering if I should trailer my ST to Kentucky and let them install...

Although I found a 2007 Yamaha Road Star 1700 with 7,000 km and what looks like a URAL sidecar for @10,500 in Toronto.....might have a look at that...don't know if he has an electric reverse though...edit he says no electric back up but easy to push...

and for what it is worth...
Peterborough Cycle Salvage use to be the Canadian distributor for Ural is just around the corner from the house...never even thought about asking him to take one for a scoot...(the Canadian Ural distributor is now the actual Ural company owner and he is based in Seattle because he likes it better than Europe) :)

Last edited:

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Ted Norris also had a Hannigan sidecar up at WeSTOC in Moscow 5 years ago.

P1000160_1-M.jpg

Top Bottom