Non abs rear break problem- sorted

My St1100 failed it`s mot about a month ago because of insuffecent force building when the rear break was depressed, so I replaced the rear mastercylinder with a known good one, back fot a mot and it failed again, what was happening was that the pads and piston at the rear had a gap between them when no pressure was being applied, when you depressed the rear break pedal the front piston seemed to take up the slack, the caliper was visibly pivioting then the rear piston would push the pad till the rear portion of the pad was touching the disc, I rebuilt the caliper new seals and new stainless pistons, still the same, so I rebuit again and again

I noticed that the front bolt/pin that the caliper slides on was a bit loose in it`s hole, I thought I was onto something so I wrapped it in ptfe to see if it was a wear problem, this helped but more than one wrap of tape caused some binding

I then thought that it was a clearence issue between the caliper and the bracket, so I tried a couple of washers to try and take up some slack, this helped so I made a 10mm spacer which put the caliper in the correct aspect with no twist, I went to the mot station and passed, on the fiche it looks like i should have a number 18 instead of my `spacer`
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-st1100a-pan-european-1992-englandmkh_model4606/partslist/F__1400.html#results

Ray

Top Bottom