2016 FJR1300 is Updated!

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I could do without the 6 speed...but the rest of the package is good!

I believe this still falls under the Gen III category (2 significant upgrades to engine, firmware, suspension, and/or fairing from the original 2003). But Yammie does adjust certain features of the bike over diff model years within each Generation. For example, the 3rd Gen debuted in 2013. In 2014 they updated the cruise control firmware (no longer an 85mph limit, IIRC). In 2015 they put out the uninspired Liquid Graphite color, with no other changes. Now in 2016, Yammie has incorporated some medium-level updates to the drivetrain and lighting--but I don't think they'll call it Gen IV (my opinion).
I agree on the tranny. Apparently the new 6 speed has a taller 1st and 2nd. I'd like a test ride before commenting much further but I'm not sure having a 6 speed for the sake of having a 6 speed is progress. The 5 speed is pretty good.

And yes this is still Gen3 from what I understand, not that Yamaha has ever referred to the various upgrades as "Generations" anyway. The Gen 1,2,3 thing seems to come from Yammie forums

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I suppose that's one way of putting it... I'd like to see it in person or hear from owners once the bike is out and see how they like it, sometimes what looks like a feature ends up being a gimmick.. But, I doubt it in this case.
The thing with the adaptive headlight is it doesn't really shine left or right it shines up/down because when you are in a corner leaned over you need it to shine up--around the conrer. If it was a cornering light or like we see on fog lights when you are leaned over in a corner if the lights shines left or right it is pointing straight at the ground instead of in front of you. Hard to explain, but, once you see how the headlight moves around corners it's incredible. It actually shines in front of where you are going(up)--according to the lean.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
New: 6 speed, LED headlights, LED cornering lights (on the ES), slipper clutch.

This is going to be hard to resist! :drool1:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/11/30/2016-yamaha-fjr1300a-and-fjr1300es-sport-touring-motorcycle-review-first-look-photos/
In addition to the 6 speed, Yamaha also changed to helical gears (ala BMW) to cut down the gear whine dramatically (it IS loud). Also, the clutch is described as 20% easier to pull. Some have complained about this, it never bothered me.

I would like to see the transmission ratios to compare to the 5 speed (which is the most perfect motorcycle transmission I have ever owned).

Dan

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The thing with the adaptive headlight is it doesn't really shine left or right it shines up/down because when you are in a corner leaned over you need it to shine up--around the conrer. If it was a cornering light or like we see on fog lights when you are leaned over in a corner if the lights shines left or right it is pointing straight at the ground instead of in front of you. Hard to explain, but, once you see how the headlight moves around corners it's incredible. It actually shines in front of where you are going(up)--according to the lean.
I understand KTM uses a series of three LED lights (3 to a side, 6 total on bike) mounted in the edge of the fairing with one of the three coming on as lean angle comes on from straight-up vertical. Each light is aimed progressively higher. As lean angle progressively increases the next light comes on to evenly light corner from slight to full lean.

Does anyone plan to own either of these after the warranty expires?

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
I actually consider 6 speed a detriment, overworking the clutch to obtain the same top end. But I thought I read that this 6th gear was higher than the current 5 speed, allowing the motor to lope along at highway speed.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I understand KTM uses a series of three LED lights (3 to a side, 6 total on bike) mounted in the edge of the fairing with one of the three coming on as lean angle comes on from straight-up vertical. Each light is aimed progressively higher. As lean angle progressively increases the next light comes on to evenly light corner from slight to full lean.
That's pretty cool. The BMW's have a stationary light that shines up and onto a mirror that moves. Pretty simple design. Think of a lighthouse where the light stays still and the mirror revolves around it.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
That's pretty cool. The BMW's have a stationary light that shines up and onto a mirror that moves. Pretty simple design. Think of a lighthouse where the light stays still and the mirror revolves around it.
Break that light lens and you have to replace the whole assembly at $1900.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I actually consider 6 speed a detriment, overworking the clutch to obtain the same top end. But I thought I read that this 6th gear was higher than the current 5 speed, allowing the motor to lope along at highway speed.
From http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/11/30/2016-yamaha-fjr1300a-and-fjr1300es-sport-touring-motorcycle-review-first-look-photos

"Gear ratios have been altered with slightly taller first and second ratios, slightly shorter fourth and fifth gears and a top cog that?s significantly taller than that of its five-speed predecessor. The end result promises improved acceleration and more relaxed revs at freeway cruise."

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Gimme, gimme, gimme!

Honda you've lost me as a customer unless a rabbit appears before Spring!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The beauty of the current FJR's is that the 5 speed is perfect, taller 1st & 2nd not desired, and that 6th may not be the best for fuel mileage unless you are a slab rider. However, I'll give one a test ride to see....... The adaptive LED's are only on the ES model and are as dduelin describes, i.e., no moving parts.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I actually consider 6 speed a detriment, overworking the clutch to obtain the same top end.
Am I the only one that "skips" gears? If you run the speed up to 30 in 1st and the speed limit is 45, do you shift through the gears to 4th or 5th? I go from 1st to 4th. If you hit the acceleration ramp for the Interstate and know the speed limit is 70, do you accelerate through all the gears? On my 1100, I usually go 1st, 3rd and settle in with 5th gear. My ST's are high mileage, '96 at 98K miles, '96 at 200K+ miles, '02 at 88K miles. About 300K of those miles are mine.

I have no problem with winding it up. I visit Mr. Redline several times a ride. Does that make me a hooligan?

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I made the jump in 2014. Yamaha has continuously updated the FJR with feedback from those that ride it. I think the extra gear is big.

The FJR is a fine motorcycle, modern and stylish and for a great price. In my view the sport touring bikes come down to the 2 BMWs (Rt and GT) and the FJR. Honda is so far behind not even in the mirrors of these bikes.

Look, I try not to ride at night (deer) and if I do, I won't be leaning so hard as to need a gyro headlight LOL. So I prolly not need the fancy headlight. All I can tell ya'll is I love my FJR it is waaaaaaay fast.

Last edited:
I bought a 08 fjr this march, really like the bike. But for a long 4 day trip in july I chose the 99 st1100. Plan on installing electric deer whisles next spring

Top Bottom