people doing stupid things while they drive

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
So if you have not seen this as it happened some tine ago it is people doing stupid things while they drive. This could have been preventable but both parties were in the wrong (maybe) and they paid for it.

So as I have read the story there seems to be some discrepancies as to if there was cell phone usage but the fact is it did happen and the results are sobering. Lets all pay better attention when driving 2, 3 and 4 wheels.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/motoycle-inside-vw-accident.shtml

Bike
2010 ST1300
Interesting to me that nobody has said anything about the biker's speed of around 85mph. That seems a trifle high especially in an area where a car can cross the road the cyclist is on. Given my level of paranoia, I cannot imagine driving that fast on anything other than an Interstate in a rural area with very little traffic.

Lets be clear, my use of the word 'trifle' above is meant to be sarcastic. It takes two people to tango; had the bike been rolling at 50 or 60 he might have been able to stop.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Interesting to me that nobody has said anything about the biker's speed of around 85mph.
If you read the whole article, it suggests the facts of the incident have been altered over the years to suit the newest author's agenda, including that the motorcyclist was originally reported to have been traveling 155mph, and lowered to 85mph to suit the newest version (driver w/ cell phone at fault.)

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you read the whole article, it suggests the facts of the incident have been altered over the years to suit the newest author's agenda, including that the motorcyclist was originally reported to have been traveling 155mph, and lowered to 85mph to suit the newest version (driver w/ cell phone at fault.)
Pardon me, John. Riding a bike at 155 is much safer than 85. Though I get your point that the facts of the situation are in question. Regardless, for the bike to have made it inside the car indicates a relatively high rate of speed. And he is not blameless for that speed, despite a lack of comments about his responsibility here.

I've said it before, we have to eliminate stupidity from the gene pool somehow, and self selection is one of the ways. Some drivers in cars make some pretty egregious errors, but then, too, so do some motorcyclists.

I've found that whenever I have a close call - difficulty making a turn, difficulty in a decreasing radius curve, etc. I was the one at fault. And I'm willing to accept MORE than 50% of the responsibility despite the idiotic moves of some drivers. I should have been more aware and more careful - I'm the one who does not have 2000 lbs of steel and iron around me for protection.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Pardon me, John. Riding a bike at 155 is much safer than 85. Though I get your point that the facts of the situation are in question. Regardless, for the bike to have made it inside the car indicates a relatively high rate of speed. And he is not blameless for that speed, despite a lack of comments about his responsibility here.

I've said it before, we have to eliminate stupidity from the gene pool somehow, and self selection is one of the ways. Some drivers in cars make some pretty egregious errors, but then, too, so do some motorcyclists.

I've found that whenever I have a close call - difficulty making a turn, difficulty in a decreasing radius curve, etc. I was the one at fault. And I'm willing to accept MORE than 50% of the responsibility despite the idiotic moves of some drivers. I should have been more aware and more careful - I'm the one who does not have 2000 lbs of steel and iron around me for protection.
Maybe you thought my comment was an affront to your post. That wasn't my intent. My intent was to show that the tragic facts of this event have been skewed over the years, by those pushing an agenda. Cheers!

Bike
R1200rt
About a year ago (Chicago burbs) a father took his 7yr old daughter, no helmet, on the interstate for a ride on his new croch rocket. Lost control at a hi rate of speed. She was killed instantly, he survived, at least till the Mom got a hold of him. SPEED KILLS especially in congested areas !!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Maybe you thought my comment was an affront to your post. That wasn't my intent. My intent was to show that the tragic facts of this event have been skewed over the years, by those pushing an agenda. Cheers!
Not at all, John, and I apologize if I gave that impression. My only point was that I think the biker bears a lot of responsibility for this accident - not all, but a healthy dose.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Its really refreshing to read a comment like this. Im sure that many of us think in this way, but not many admit to their own ability to cock it up every now and then. I ride with a video camera running all if the time. Often the footage gets wiped, but when i have one of those 'you stupid idiot, john' moments, i study what happened to see what i could have done differently. Should something similar happen again, ive already been through the thought process and reacted without consciously thinking about it. The number of times i've thought to myself 'how did i know he was going to do that ?' as i find myself reacting to something that hasn't quite happened yet.
I don't know, but somehow my brain does , and i think the ability to realise that there was something that i could have done better on previous occasions is all part of it.

Its good to keep yourself on the right side of Darwin.
Outstanding attitude!. And you have the proof that these steps are paying off in safer riding.

Top Bottom