Mouse in air filter.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Doing my annual maint. on my ST1300 and found sunflower seeds in my air filter. We have a bird feeder at the front of the house with sunflower seeds. The bike is parked at the rear of the house.

That is a long run with mouthfuls of seeds.

Didn't find any other areas on bike where it trespassed. It did not chew on the filter. (K@N)

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
I put some Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent in the intake just for that reason. It's a self contained bag that smells quit good to me. However mice apparently don't like it.
You can find it a ACE hardware and some auto parts stores. Works great for anything that is parked for long periods of time where mice can get in.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Doing my annual maint. on my ST1300 and found sunflower seeds in my air filter. We have a bird feeder at the front of the house with sunflower seeds. The bike is parked at the rear of the house.

That is a long run with mouthfuls of seeds.
Not as fun.. but could it also just be the seeds are getting picked up and tossed backed by the front tire? I find acorns in my intake often and I don't think any critters are storing them there.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
A guy I graduated with just posted some pics to Facebook yesterday. He works on bikes of all types. The pics showed a carburetor completely packed full of sunflower seeds.

You gotta quit feeding them rats. The only thing they get fed at my house is peanut butter. It is baiting the trap under my bike.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
Not as fun.. but could it also just be the seeds are getting picked up and tossed backed by the front tire? I find acorns in my intake often and I don't think any critters are storing them there.
Nope. Don't kid yourself. Mice are going up the intake at the front and stuffing food in there.

I don't like finding this but I do like seeing birds at the feeder.

Seed supply is in the house in a sealed plastic bucket.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
If it's anything other than insects or dry matter, the mice are guilty. This reminded me of last year at this time when I went to change my air filter on the ST. When I removed the filter soybean seeds were in there. The inside of the filter had also been chewed on. After finding this out I thought an inspection of my other bike was needed. I took a picture of the air filter and housing on the CB 750F. Here is what it looked like.

Doing maintenance this year on the ST I found some bird seed. Maybe it's time to put a piece of hardware cloth at the air intake opening?

Attachments

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
That's a lot of soybeans. I thought some mesh at the air intake also but then they would go elsewhere on the bike. Had em in the tail section once, luckily didn't chew wires. None under the air box....Yet.

Bike
'05 ST1300
I've had problems over the years with mice getting in. Bounce sheets didn't seem to work, but now using an electronic box to keep them away. As Pete indicated also, once in the tail section, but several times up in the engine and air filter areas. The worst was chewing up the injector wiring, took several hours to splice in new wiring. Ed

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've had problems over the years with mice getting in. Bounce sheets didn't seem to work, but now using an electronic box to keep them away. As Pete indicated also, once in the tail section, but several times up in the engine and air filter areas. The worst was chewing up the injector wiring, took several hours to splice in new wiring. Ed
Electronic box? What is it and does it work?

Bike
ST1300 2012
A couple springs ago I had to replace a fuel line that a mouse had chewed through (hope he downed when he bit thru) cleaned a couple cups of the poison mouse pellets out of the tail section and cleaned up a couple wires they had chewed on, then replaced the air filter because it was packed absolutely full of various mouse stuff! Then, when I rolled it forward, more of the poison pellets came out of the center of the front wheel.
Last winter I don't think they even touched it! (ST1300)
i was late in getting to winterize the FJR1300 this fall (because I totaled the ST1300 and moving slow!) and a couple weeks ago when I took the seat off I found a stash of acorns under it. I figure come spring I will have to excavate the air filter!

Tried the dryer sheets one year on a snowmobile and they seemed to work, bought more and used them the next year, apparently a different brand of mouse moved in because they used the dryer sheets to make their nests!

intersted in hearing about the electronic box. I have one in the motorcycle shed and I think the mice use the blinking power LED as a disco light!

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I don't have a rodent problem in my shop but when I stayed in Pennsylvania for a few weeks I had mouse concerns where I was staying. I put a couple traps under the bike and a few sticky pads around the wheels. I caught 8 mice in a week.

Bike
'05 ST1300
I'm using a couple of Victor Petchaser Pro ultrasonic boxes in the garage near the ST. So far this winter it seems to be working. I have used dryer sheets in years gone by with only marginal success. Good luck with whatever you try. Cheers Ed.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have a cat, it is nice to know he is working almost as good as dryer sheets. Once he wakes up... I will congratulate him.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I had pink insulation come out of my ST1100 one spring after a hard start, I have also found nest building material in the air filter. Since then I have been spending $20 or so in the fall to feed them their last supper and seem to have no issues with the critters.

Gerhard

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Gerhard I know of this really nice store near you with a lovely lady that sells chocolate ,I have heard that they really like this stuff . I have this problem here in Poverty Gulch and have bought some of this high quality food for the little mice around here but they enjoy it too much makes them chubby .

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm using a couple of Victor Petchaser Pro ultrasonic boxes in the garage near the ST. So far this winter it seems to be working. I have used dryer sheets in years gone by with only marginal success. Good luck with whatever you try. Cheers Ed.
I can't use poison, traps, etc. due to neighbor dogs cats etc. coming into my carport.

Are you using this one? http://www.victorpest.com/victor-pestchaser-pro-m792?utm_source=connexity&utm_medium=cse&CA_6C15C=1528523198

Looks like a mini boom box.

Bit pricey at $30-$40 but if it works........

Top Bottom