Barn Find - Pacific Coast 800 - and review

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
Re: BARN FIND Bike review Pacific Coast 800

Cool but not nearly as cool as the Honda 125/150 Elite's hide-away headlight. That's got to be one of the coolest tricks Honda's ever done to a bike.
Some Elite models also had on/off cooling vents. The flip headlight seems a little odd. Unlike (daytime) retracted Prelude lights the Elite lights would be down only when parked.....huh? Running w/no headlight would be dangerous.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Nice find. I had an '89 (Pearl White). Put a bunch of miles on it. There was a PC800 site where I found info many years ago, Internet Pacific Coast Riders Club. Other sites here: http://www.pc800links.net/

Don't forget, your PC trunk is a beer cooler. Load it up with beer and ice, ride to your campsite, pop the lid and there you go. In the morning, pull the rubber drain plugs in the bottom of the trunk and let the melted ice drain. You're welcome. :)

Also, on the underside of the trunk lid are a couple of rotating rubber bumpers that let you adjust how the lid rests when you close it, just like on the trunk lid of a car. Set them so they provide enough resistance that when you deploy the trunk release lever (by the fuel port) the lid pops up and you can raise it without continuing to hold the release lever.

I had my PC for 11 years and the whole time practically everyone who guessed what it was guessed BMW (Even though it said HONDA in big letters on the side!). For whatever that's worth.

Enjoy it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Some Elite models also had on/off cooling vents. The flip headlight seems a little odd. Unlike (daytime) retracted Prelude lights the Elite lights would be down only when parked.....huh? Running w/no headlight would be dangerous.
You're unfamiliar with the 125 and 250 Elites. Running with no headlight would be illegal. The Elites' headlights opened up when the ignition was turned on and closed when the ignition was turned off. Nothing odd about it.

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
These really are great bikes. I had a girlfriend back in the late '90s that had one just like yours. We rode to Sturgis together from TX in '98. I was on my Yamaha XS 1100 and she had no trouble keeping up. (In fact, we both got souvenir tickets for doing 80 going through Wyoming). She left me for a 65 year old retired guy that had more time and money than me. Last I heard, he had bought a pearl colored '89 and they were touring Maine..

Anyhow, I miss the bike more than the girl. I rode it quite a bit, especially to go to work on rainy days because it was so much easier to clean than my bike. It got much better mileage than my XS, and had hydraulic lifters so no valve adjustments. About all we ever did to it was change the oil and plugs - I seem to remember that it had 2 per cylinder. Not the perfect bike for touring, particularly two up, but hard to beat as an everyday commuter, for someone that likes riding more than wrenching. Gonna get one when the right deal comes along..

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

You're unfamiliar with the 125 and 250 Elites. Running with no headlight would be illegal. The Elites' headlights opened up when the ignition was turned on and closed when the ignition was turned off. Nothing odd about it.
So the complexity of a design that is aerodynamic when sitting still does not seem a little odd to you? Huh. There's a Corvette owner in town that has been running for years with his retractable headlights up 24/7. Nothing odd about that either I guess.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

So the complexity of a design that is aerodynamic when sitting still does not seem a little odd to you? Huh.
No not a bit odd. Obviously Honda wanted a feature that was unique. For all I know the headlight was manually switched on and off in Japan and similar markets where always-on headlights weren't required. A small change in wiring and it's US compliant.

There's a Corvette owner in town that has been running for years with his retractable headlights up 24/7. Nothing odd about that either I guess.
There are a lot of people who don't bother to fix or repair systems if they can get by without doing so. The number is great enough that classifying the Corvette scenario as ODD is easily debatable.

Neither situation you mentioned comes remotely close to qualifying as 'odd' on my radar. One man's 'unique' is another man's 'odd' I guess.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE

Cool but not nearly as cool as the Honda 125/150 Elite's hide-away headlight. That's got to be one of the coolest tricks Honda's ever done to a bike.
Not to hijack the thread, but I won a 1986 Elite 150 in a radio station drawing while in high school. I rode the wheels off that little thing, and always loved the pop-up headlight and digital dashboard.

OP
OP
Motorcycle Dave
Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
She left you for an old guy.... Damn... Hey but you still had the bike .

These really are great bikes. I had a girlfriend back in the late '90s that had one just like yours. We rode to Sturgis together from TX in '98. I was on my Yamaha XS 1100 and she had no trouble keeping up. (In fact, we both got souvenir tickets for doing 80 going through Wyoming). She left me for a 65 year old retired guy that had more time and money than me. Last I heard, he had bought a pearl colored '89 and they were touring Maine..

Anyhow, I miss the bike more than the girl. I rode it quite a bit, especially to go to work on rainy days because it was so much easier to clean than my bike. It got much better mileage than my XS, and had hydraulic lifters so no valve adjustments. About all we ever did to it was change the oil and plugs - I seem to remember that it had 2 per cylinder. Not the perfect bike for touring, particularly two up, but hard to beat as an everyday commuter, for someone that likes riding more than wrenching. Gonna get one when the right deal comes along..

Bike
2004 ST1300 (Blue)
STOC #
There is a black 95 w/ 27K miles on it at Midland Powersports for $2499. I'm trying to convince a buddy of mine that he needs it.... LOL.

Top Bottom