12v outlet

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I just got this 12v outlet yesterday and discovered the the ground wire is only 12" vs 4ft for the red wire. I plan on replacing my old one just below the left pocket. Is there a place I can connect the black wire or do i need to make it longer to get to the battery.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are two good ground locations right there. The coil is grounded to the frame and the other is the forward stay bolt hole.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
+1 What Dave says. Don't connect the ground wire directly to the battery.
Nor should you connect it direct anywhere. Get a quick disconnect from an electronic shop nearby. Hook the positive and negative into one side of the disconnect and the bike 'switched' hot and neutral into the other side. Nobody wants to undo screwed down electrical connections during routine maintenance.

An SAE connector would be a good option here.

I put one SAE connector between my bike and my side panels. When I pop thrm off, easy to bust it loose. It powers my dual heat-trollers, my side marker lights, and my accessory outlet plug on the side panel.

Think ahead...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nor should you connect it direct anywhere. Get a quick disconnect from an electronic shop nearby. Hook the positive and negative into one side of the disconnect and the bike 'switched' hot and neutral into the other side. Nobody wants to undo screwed down electrical connections during routine maintenance.

An SAE connector would be a good option here.

I put one SAE connector between my bike and my side panels. When I pop thrm off, easy to bust it loose. It powers my dual heat-trollers, my side marker lights, and my accessory outlet plug on the side panel.

Think ahead...
T_C is correct here. When I viewed and replied to your post my device did not show your picture of the 12v outlet with attached wires.

As T_C posted I would connect the wires in a way that allow easy disconnection for when you remove the fairing for maintenance. My 12V power point does not have wires coming out of it rather it has male terminals on the back of it. http://www.marinco.com/en/12vrc

I installed the Marinco 12v power outlet in the RH fairing pocket. The positive and negative connections are wired into the bike's 12v system to unswitched power (I prefer unswitched so the connector can be used for my battery tender/charger when in the garage and for charging my phone and Sena headset on the road without having to have the ignition key ON or ACC.) When I remove the RH middle cowl for maintenance I just unplug the female wire connections and remove the fairing.

The ground points on the frame I mentioned are still there and handy for the purpose of adding some accessory item without having to run a long negative wire to a common ground.

OP
OP
cchassey
Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I just put it in today. My old one has the male connections on the back and looked like the one in the link, this one is hard wired. I wonder if this will fix my phone draining issues that sometimes happens when plugged in. I did get a new phone battery last week and it seems much better. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wonder if this will fix my phone draining issues that sometimes happens when plugged in. I did get a new phone battery last week and it seems much better.
It's definitely possible. Among the possibilities: 1) the wiring harness to the bike is problematic 2) the socket connectors to the harness were defective (corrosion or loose) or 3) the socket's internal contacts to the corresponding 12V plug were defective (corrosion or loose connection) 4) the USB charger (if you're using one) is defective 5) or the cable going into the phone could be defective at either end.

Any one of those possibilities could cause intermittent charging of your phone. With a possible old/tired/defective battery the phone could drain it if not being charged. Depending on what the phone was doing (GPS or using location dependent apps) the battery could drain more quickly than normal when not being charged. It wouldn't hurt to look at the phone's charge/data port to see if there's any buildup of crud or pocket ling that might be interfering with the cable's contacts.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've had issues where yhe phone thought and showed it wad charging, but wasn't. Had a USB cable that was bad, didn't know it till the second pair inside it were intermittent connection.

OP
OP
cchassey
Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I had issues with it powering off when it said 50% at home. New battery fixed that, now it charges great and lasts like new at home or bike. My issue with the old one was the cap and some plugs didn't fit properly and needed constant wiggling. I hope this one is better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom