2003 Manual Shield Adjustment

I have a recently purchased 2003 non-ABS. I do not have a manual for the bike. I am sorry to have to ask this, but is there specific instructions as to how to manually raise and lower the shield on my bike. My bike has a tinted aftermarket shield, and I am hopeful I can raise it just an inch or two to cut down on wind noise. I've looked at it a few times, and it's not obvious how to do this. I've also searched google and youtube, as well as this forum without success. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Also, is there a place I can download a digital copy of the manual?

Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

I have a recently purchased 2003 non-ABS. I am hopeful I can raise it just an inch or two to cut down on wind noise. I've looked at it a few times, and it's not obvious how to do this.
It appears your shield is in the highest position already. The shield needs to be removed, then the brackets have a low and high position. Loosen bracket bolts to adjust to upper or lower position. For more wind protection you will need more shield.

OP
OP
Daniel
Thank you for the replies !

The OEM shield was included, I do have it, I will have to dig it out and see what kind of shape it in.

From the first reply, am I to understand there are only two positions it can be adjusted, high or low?

Assuming the OEM shield is acceptable, can I put it in high position and them trim it down with a jigsaw to the ideal height I want. Have others done this?

From the first reply, am I to understand there are only two positions it can be adjusted, high or low?
Yes the stock bracket has a low and high position only, but I have modified the Brackets by drilling a mid-point hole for the top bolts each bracket. The lower bolts are in a slide slot. I have the stock shield, am 6' and can see over the top of the shield. I view the road unobstructed roughly 50' in front. I have some wind noise but at an acceptable level to me. My wife/pillion has none behind me.

Yes, others have trimmed the shield down. Search the forum for their input.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You used to be able to buy a kit from California Sport Touring to make it electrically adjustable I think its around $600 I did mine many years ago and to this day it is probably the best mod I have done.

OP
OP
Daniel
Thanks again.

DD....you and I are the same. I am also 6' , and I also prefer to look just over the shield.

What I assumed was the OEM shield the previous owner included, is actually another aftermarket. It's a National Cycle shield, just over 21" in length at the tips. I was looking for another inch in height, possibly 2" at the most. This shield is 5' or 6" taller than the tinted shield, but I adjusted the brackets to the lower position. I haven't ridden it yet, but it seems it's going to be a little too tall for my liking. I raised the saddle to the middle position, I am hopeful I will be comfortable, but I suspect I am going to have to trim about 1" from the NatCycle shield for it to be perfect.

How tall is the OEM shield in comparison to the NatCycle shield I now have installed? Are they generally available for sale here or on eBay in excellent shape?
20170808_195539.jpg

Stock shield is 20" h center flat to top. Calsi.com is a good reference for multiple shield sizes. That NatCycle shield is a large one, good for cold weather riding. Yes shop the forum, Ebay and CL for another shield. FYI - I have seat at the top setting, low shield was too low and high too high, hence I customized the bracket for the middle. :)

OP
OP
Daniel
The NatCycle shield is absolutely perfect ! I have exactly what you described above, unobstructed approx 50' ahead. Their website lists the shield @ 19" center to top. It has obviously significantly cut down wind noise. I can understand your point about it being a cold weather shield, and most likely explains the 2 shields included with my bike. I am significantly taller than the gentleman I purchased this bike from however, so his summer shield is too "summery" for me. He would be looking through the NatCycle shield on the bike now, which could explain why it is perfect, not a mark on it. I don't think it was ever used.

I sincerely appreciate the input. I apologize, for even though I did many specific google searches, I never actually did a general search for ST1300 owners manual. There is a .pdf copy online for download, I just noticed that today. It has already kept me from asking one stupid question, probably others that would have followed.

My ST is finally exactly how I want it ! I truly could not be any happier with this bike. I fee like I stole it !

20170811_151537.jpg

Top Bottom