NUVIZ Fully Integrated Heads Up Display

Bike
2002 ST1100
I ran across this web site yesterday. https://www.ridenuviz.com/

Makes me drool to think of having this, but I am curious what others think.
Has anyone ever seen/tried one?

NUVIZ.jpg

I like what is described and would use the GPS, Phone, Camera, and might even use the music.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
NUs to me. Never even heard of it. I like the concept but $700 is a tad pricey for me.

Someone will be quick to voice concerns of distracted driving (as though you'll be watching Tokyo Drift or Great Escape while riding). But in truth the HUD data is more inline with the road than most every bit of third party and OEM gear. You could be more in danger checking your bike speedo or rear view mirrors.

It certainly piques my interest but I'd need more disposable income. I haven't fully read all the ad but I hope this isn't a KickStarter project but a shipping product.

Might not be legal in WA or GA.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
Nice idea but it needs to be integrated into the helmet. I'd be concerned about rain and dust affecting the display.

JohnConner

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
JohnConner said:
Nice idea but it needs to be integrated into the helmet.
Nah. Maybe there needs to be some option for those who want it integrated. But I don't what a $1500+ helmet or to be locked into one brand or model to be able to transfer the unit when it's time to replace my hat.

I can wipe dust off. I don't ride in the rain so if getting caught (and assuming the device isn't rain resistant) I'll remove it or preferably hole up somewhere.

Of course if external mounting actually turns out to be truly illegal [citation needed] then somebody will have to build it in. That hasn't fared well so far.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Looks interesting. Is it . . . waterproof? How long will a battery charge last and . . . how long to recharge? Can routes planned on a computer be uploaded/downloaded to the device?

Worth keeping an eye on.

Shuey

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I think if you wait a little while a certain scribe here on the forum will be doing a review of this very unit.

OP
OP
garwil
Bike
2002 ST1100
Looks interesting. Is it . . . waterproof? How long will a battery charge last and . . . how long to recharge? Can routes planned on a computer be uploaded/downloaded to the device?

Worth keeping an eye on.

Shuey
They say the battery will last all day, and you can carry spare batteries to quick change.
I skimmed through the users manual (you can learn more there than the slick ads) and they talk about how to clean the clear piece so it does not get scratched up. They also sell that as a replacement part in case it does get scratched up.

Having been slowly converting to Blu tooth from my Gold wing intercom system, I am not as put off by the price as I might have been before. That $$ includes a functional GPS and blu tooth integration all in one package. Although they have a disclaimer about other peoples technology, the unit will connect with existing Blu Tooth head sets instead of using the wired headset and mic that comes with it. I have been using UClear Blu Tooth headsets for a couple of years now, and I like not having a microphone boom in front of my face, or an umbilical cord plugged into the bike.

You can easily plunk down 6 - 7 hundred on a GPS alone, and then you still need to wire or Blu Tooth it into your helmet to hear instructions. That does not integrate your cell phone, or handle communications between yourself and the pillion or other riders, nor does it take take pictures or video. With this system you get GPS, Blu Tooth integration to Cell Phone, Camera with Video, and it will integrate with Blu Tooth communications, all in one package. If I was looking for a new GPS, I might very well do this instead.

OP
OP
garwil
Bike
2002 ST1100
Interestingly enough, I went back and searched the users manual, and it does not say anything about being water proof or resistant. That seems like a very big hole in the design since we ride on the outside with the weather.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wouldn't work for me, I'm nearsighted so w/glasses I can see great to ride but need them off for anything closer than arms length so it would just be fuzzy.. I can see my gps well enough as it's just far enough away.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Wouldn't work for me, I'm nearsighted so w/glasses I can see great to ride but need them off for anything closer than arms length so it would just be fuzzy.. I can see my gps well enough as it's just far enough away.

I think you should be fine. The HUD display's 13ft is pretty much like you would have your vision set up for distance.

"The optics create a virtual image that floats in the riders line of sight, 13ft/4m in front of the eye."

Edit:
Those of us that wear bifocals may have issues.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think you should be fine. The HUD display's 13ft is pretty much like you would have your vision set up for distance.

"The optics create a virtual image that floats in the riders line of sight, 13ft/4m in front of the eye."

Edit:
Those of us that wear bifocals may have issues.
Interesting... something to think about... it will be a while as I'm invested in my current setup...

OP
OP
garwil
Bike
2002 ST1100
I thought about the focal length, because I wear bifocals. Most of the time I wear contacts with one setup for reading and the other setup for distance. (I know it sounds weird, but it works pretty well once you get used to it.)
The thing is, my right eye is setup for reading, and the HUD is designed for the right eye. So, I am not sure if I would be able to read it or not. The contact has a very precise depth of focus, so I can read my computer screen, or a book, but if I get it closer than 12-15 inches, I cannot focus. Likewise, I cannot focus my right eye at a distance of 4 meters either.
I suppose they designed it so it cannot be turned around because that is easier and cheaper than a system that can be switched.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I know it sounds weird, but it works pretty well once you get used to it.
Not weird at all. When done with Lasik it's called monovision. Some people can handle it some can't.

garwil said:
I suppose they designed it so it cannot be turned around because that is easier and cheaper than a system that can be switched.
I don't know that was a design goal but more like just a fact of playing the odds. Most people in the world are right handed. Those people usually have the right eye as the dominant eye. Using it for the HUD makes sense. Maybe they could make a lefty version or use a modular construction so they could assemble 'right' or 'left' versions. But yeah that costs money.

Bike
2010 ST1300
This will be a short lived dinosaur. If we are getting autonomous cars, heads up displays will not be needed for the robot in the driver's seat. The market for a HUD on larger bikes is not going to be big enough, it's not needed on small bikes used for transport (think China, India, etc.), ATV's don't need one, and unicyclists have enough problems without reading their speedometer. Airplanes and fighter jets are a whole other issue, but again, drones have little need for this device.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
This will be a short lived dinosaur.
You ought to email the developers. Save them a whole lot of time and money because they obviously haven't thought this through.

Top Bottom