Saddle Bag and Givi Locks Interchangable?

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm curious if the actual locks on the Honda saddle bags and a Givi top box are interchangeable? Replacement Givi locks are available pretty cheap. You can even get them in sets of 3 or 6 off Ebay and they all have matching keys. If one of these locks could be used in the saddlebags then I could use 1 key for all luggage and 1 for ignition.

Yes I realize I'd still need to carry 2 keys, but at least I wouldn't have to pull the key out of the ignition to get something out of a saddle bag.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I really haven't given that, much thought, but it would be interesting to look at.

Since I have extra GIVI bags, Extra Topcases, and extra Saddlebags, I'll have to take a look to see if they even come close! :D

I have to dig into my storage this weekend to look for/at a used clutch I have, I'll try to remember :)old1:) to look at those also!

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have a spare key velcroed in my locking fairing pocket. Its quick to pull the ignition key, open the pocket and put the ignition key back. Plus I don't have to try and juggle the house key while I'm closing the saddlebag.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a spare key velcroed in my locking fairing pocket. Its quick to pull the ignition key, open the pocket and put the ignition key back. Plus I don't have to try and juggle the house key while I'm closing the saddlebag.
All those steps are what I'm trying to avoid. You have to pull your ignition key out to open up the locking pocket, then get the spare key out, and then open the saddlebag, then replace the spare key, then lock the compartment and then put your key back in the ignition? Too much.

I'd like to just pull my Givi key out of my pocket and have access to all 3 luggage pieces.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Some folks make extra 'keys' with a knob on top to leave inserted in the luggage.
I've seen that but I don't want to have to grab those keys every time I went to lunch or park it overnight. Somebody could use those "knob keys" to unlatch your saddlebags and make them disappear.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'd like to just pull my Givi key out of my pocket and have access to all 3 luggage pieces.
Why not just have another ignition key in your pocket?
No fussing with retrofitting locks plus you have the benefit of a spare key on your person.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Why not just have another key in your pocket?
No fussing with retrofitting locks plus you have the benefit of a spare key on your person.
My spare key is sewn to the inside of my jacket pocket. Less chance of losing it that way. Changing out locks is no biggie if they are interchangeable.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a spare key velcroed in my locking fairing pocket..................
BTW, if you're out for a ride and lose your key how do you plan on getting the spare out of that pocket?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would think then it boils down to if the locks themselves the same size and if the actual locking latch the same. If the ST1100 topcase and saddlebags are any example, they will not be. But with enough money and time, you can pretty well fab anything to work. ;-) Are the keys close or totally different? If the blanks are close, you could probably rekey them alike. Or you might look at replacing the trunk lock with a saddlebag lock which would mean only one key to tote.

Or you might look at replacing the trunk lock with a saddlebag lock which would mean only one key to tote.
Why didn't I think of that, Genius UP. I think I read somewhere that a Honda case lock is not difficult to re-key/modify, if it will only fit. Or throw lots of $$$$ at it.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
......... If the blanks are close, you could probably rekey them alike. Or you might look at replacing the trunk lock with a saddlebag lock which would mean only one key to tote.
The big difference in the blanks is the length of the key and where it's cut. While the Honda lock is only a little more expensive, having a locksmith make it match the others (for 1 key use) would probably double the price of the project.

I don't mind carrying 2 keys. My objective is to not have to pull the ignition key out every time I stop. Often at scenic overlooks I just want to open a piece of luggage to get out a drink, or smokes, or whatever.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I don't mind carrying 2 keys. My objective is to not have to pull the ignition key out every time I stop. Often at scenic overlooks I just want to open a piece of luggage to get out a drink, or smokes, or whatever.
Then just do what DavidR8 suggests and add an ignition key to your key ring in addition to wherever you have your spare stashed. The extra key is handy if you want to have all of your luggage open at once to reshuffle things. I keep each of my keys on an an individual split ring and put the split rings on a carabiner so they're easy to separate for that.

The locks are different enough that making one compatible with the key for another is going to require some engineering and probably won't be very secure if you're doing it homebrewed.

--Mark

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Then just do what DavidR8 suggests and add an ignition key to your key ring
If you are willing to add an extra key to not have to pull the ignition key, then have another ignition key cut and carry it. Blanks are CHEAP and cutting one is also. Has to be cheaper than buying new lock sets and trying to fit them. I am one that has the keys with the knobs in each of the locks, yes, 3 of them. The only time I ever remove them is if I might be in a very questionable neighborhood. 10+ years of I guess good luck that no one has tampered with my stuff. You have to look hard to tell they are even in the locks.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Then just do what DavidR8 suggests and add an ignition key to your key ring in addition to wherever you have your spare stashed. ...............

--Mark
No key ring here. My ignition key just has a small plastic tag on it. With risers on the handle bars it's a cramped area to get your fingers in to pull the key out of the ignition. When I do remove it, it goes in a pocket on the leg of my riding pants. That's also where I keep the Givi key for the trunk. I'm a creature of habit, same things in the same pockets all the time. LOL.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
If you are willing to add an extra key to not have to pull the ignition key, then have another ignition key cut and carry it. ......
I already have to carry a 2nd key for the Givi trunk. I'd like to reduce the chances of carrying/losing a 3rd key, hence the desire to key the saddlebags with Givi locks. You can pick up a set of 3 locks and keys for about $25.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You could ditch the Givi and get a Shad top box, I think most of those allow you to leave the box in an unlocked state but still closed. Givi requires the key. That's one great thing I like about my Shad top box.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
No key ring here. My ignition key just has a small plastic tag on it. With risers on the handle bars it's a cramped area to get your fingers in to pull the key out of the ignition. When I do remove it, it goes in a pocket on the leg of my riding pants. That's also where I keep the Givi key for the trunk.
So one more thing in your pocket.

As the preacher in Blazing Saddles said, "Son, you're on your own."

--Mark

Top Bottom