Hip Pain

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I'm at a loss for words to try an explain what I've experienced this past week and a half. It started out as a hip pain while riding last week. The following day it went from a mild hip pain to, *** is that royal PITA? What is this evilness?
Happy to say, GOD has been good to me for Giving Over Daily.

ST1100 Forum - Pan, Pan, Pan call. Check
Daily Physical Therapy. Check.
Daily Hot Soaks In The Tub. Check.
Removal of MCL Lowering Peg Brackets. Check.
Removal of Riser Spacers. Check.
Test Drive New Configuration. Check.
RDL Saddle/Back Rest next month. Check.
TODAY, Repaint Saddlebags. Check.
Cold Weather Riding Gear. Check.
Restoration For Man and Machine. Complete.

Note to self, Move to top of list when ditching, OUTFLOW VALVE CLOSED.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Thought that was beer and tomato juice?
Alphabetically it takes a while to get to beer and tomato: beer and apples, beer and bananas, beer and cherries, beer and dates, beer and elderberry, beer and figs, beer and grapes ..........but yeah right after beer and strawberries.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST1300
Yoga is great....also, if you've never seen it google the Master Yoda riding position...pay particular attention to rolling your pelvis forward...repositions the hips to a friendlier place....goodluck.....ride safe........ff
This worked for me.

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Alphabetically it takes a while to get to beer and tomato: beer and apples, beer and bananas, beer and cherries, beer and dates, beer and elderberry, beer and figs, beer and grapes ..........but yeah right after beer and strawberries.
It sounds good in theory. I went with the cottage cheese, blueberries, and wing spar oil (linseed oil) this week. "The Dr. BUDWIG cancer diet."

Can't drink alcohol due to severity of peripheral neuropathy in my feet. Today, I can still ride without any sensory in my feet. Like having to overcome constant vertigo via instrument scan. I have also learned to employ wall walking techniques, i.e., artificial horizon.

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
This worked for me.
Setting up the factory geometry with the pegs provided some excellent correction.
The visit to RDL factory for new saddle next month should finish the fixes.

The last time I rode 9 hours in a day? I'm about to find out what the ST1100 is all about, the acid test. The last 27 months, bedridden 23/24 hours a day with feet up.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
lomita said:
The last 27 months, bedridden 23/24 hours a day with feet up.
Holy Moly! Hope you haven't jumped back in too soon!

With the cooler weather and earlier sunset I'm not to keen on riding long hours. I'm tempted to ride up for a lookie-loo session if that's allows. Then maybe schedule a ride-in purchase (during longer days!).

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Theory's all I got; don't mean to belittle anyone's pain. I apologize.

Tom
No apology needed Tom. I came to this forum to reach out. I don't have all the answers. All kidding aside, I am grateful for all of the help I receive here. So, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Yes, I have pain, and yes, I am riding again. I have been airlifted out of the dungeon of pain I have been in for the last 3 years. This forum and the ST1100 have enabled me to shake off death. I have regained hope. Thanks.

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS

With the cooler weather and earlier sunset I'm not to keen on riding long hours. I'm tempted to ride up for a lookie-loo session if that's allows. Then maybe schedule a ride-in purchase (during longer days!).

Best of luck to you!
Of course I have jumped back in. And of course it is way to soon. I do know this, the sand is running out of the hour glass. Got to make the most of what precious time is left. Make a hole, I am coming through, and like never before. Let Freedom Ring. And a Merry Christmas to all.

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Picked up the repainted saddlebags few minutes ago. Apparently, ST1100 runs faster. Does this machine really do 75 in 2nd gear?

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS

Best of luck to you!
Have got my machine up to shape. Have been sitting here with my feet up the past 3 days and not feeling none to great.

Mounted the spot mirrors on each rear view mirror this afternoon. And took one look into them, can see the position of my helmet sun screen while seated. Chortle chortle.

Came back in from the garage and called RDL, no cancellations for a drive in this week. Still down for the middle of January. Then commenced with putting together a ride checklist. When I fly, first thing I check is the weather.

The temperatures are steadily dropping and not only dropping, but approaching freezing. And as much as I like to drive at night, I don't have a problem with cold weather freezing me, but I do have a problem pushing wheels on slippery slopes. Not much give for contingencies doing 566 miles even in the daylight hours of the San Joaquin Valley this time of year.

I pushed a Grumman into icing alley over Gorman once upon a time. When the windshield ices over in less than 30 seconds, swore not to push into unsafe conditions ever again. SAFETY has to come first.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, ST Gui, for exercising JUDGEMENT to me. You are spot on. This saddle can wait for warmer weather. I am going to hold off until I can appreciate better riding conditions. I may be slow, but your words hit me like a lightning bolt this afternoon. THANKS.

There are no old bold pilots, that goes for driving this ST also. JUDGEMENT never came easy for me. Thanks again for waking me up. RIDE SAFETY begins way before actually hopping on the bike. I'm breathing again. I was headed up the proverbial creek, and without studded tires!

Interesting the posts stating "yoga" - we old schoolers call it "stretching"

With that said, i highly recommend a book called "Stretching" (shocked?) by Anderson. Been around forever, and is used by therapists and orthopaedic types. Case in point, about 25 years ago, i screwed up my back and went to an orthopaedic surgeon. He gave me photocopies of some stretches to do daily. I said, "hey, these are from Anderson's book" (which i had since late 70's). He responded with, "okay, you caught me red handed"

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Interesting the posts stating "yoga" - we old schoolers call it "stretching"
True, sort of. This old schooler believed the same until he tried it. Yoga is stretching. Stretching is not yoga.

Its kinda like this ... LD touring is riding a motorcycle. All those you see riding a motorcycle are not likely ld touring.

Before I started doing a bit of yoga I looked for a beginner class for old guys, but couldn't find one. After I started doing it by myself on the bedroom floor I began to understand why there are no classes for old guys. Even my wife won't come in the room while I'm doing it, or after for a while. :shrug2: ;-)

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Before I started doing a bit of yoga I looked for a beginner class for old guys, but couldn't find one. After I started doing it by myself on the bedroom floor I began to understand why there are no classes for old guys. Even my wife won't come in the room while I'm doing it, or after for a while. :shrug2: ;-)
Now there's a visual I didn't need...........LOL

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I have healed over the course of the discussion. Great karma. I now understand what a broken blood vessel in the pelvic floor is all about and with a combination of forum, stretching PT and YODA, I have made a complete recovery.

Too bad freezing road conditions are between me and RDL now. Oh, that's right, it's that time of the year. Guess I'll go do some more yoda and breathing exercises, get my armchair tuned up. Sigh. Breathe, squeeze, release, breathe squeeze, release

OP
OP
lomita

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Temps rising and so are my hopes to get trip to Shasta Lake and fitted RDL saddle.

Went for ride couple days ago, confirmed 75, 8k shift from 2d to 3d. Wow. This is my first Honda.

Today a short Round Robbins to beach and back. Tried my armored Joe Rocket pants and sitting on the R. Mayers saddle, like a wet catfish. Really slippery.

No more hip pains. Now it's the back pains. I shoulda, coulda, woulda (Hind sight 20/20, no pun intended) done my PreRide PT stretching Yoda exercises. After the ride, had difficulty with the dismount. This time my back was tight, like I had strained it lifting furniture, but alas, it can only be the acceleration. Guess a detune is going to be necessary, or a RDL Backrest.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Wife keeps inquiring about my Will. Note to self next ride, The bike will cruise just fine @ 2k rpm.????

Top Bottom