Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Travel

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
My wife and I are looking to do some cross country travel this summer and fall maybe 3 - 8 weeks at a time. If I were going alone I'd take the ST only. My wife enjoys riding with me but clearly would prefer to ride in the car for long stretches and then ride locally once we find a base.

I know that in a perfect world an enclosed trailer would be preferable. Given my budget and the weight limits of my tow vehcile an open trailer makes more sense at the moment.

SO - I'm wondering how much, if any damage, occurs to the bike on an open trailer if you tow it 4,000 - 6,000 miles. My assumption would be that it gets dirty and crappy like it might if I were riding it. I'm trying to figure out if towing it exposes it to any extra type of potential damage.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Re: Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Tr

I have towed with both enclosed and open trailers and each one has advantages and disadvantages.

Open ... Good: Lighter weight, you can often move the trailer to the tow vehicle, you can see the bike at all times, usually less expensive to buy, doesn't take as large of vehicle to tow it with, gets no more dirty or wet than if you were riding it. Lighter weight and less wind resistance translate to better gas mileage. You can see out the back windows of the tow vehicle and still use your inside rear view mirror.

Bad: bike not hidden from prying eyes. Bike gets dirty and wet if weather is bad, possible stone chips if trailer is not set up with a stone guard. Loading* can be a little more risky than most enclosed trailers.

Enclosed Good: bike cannot be seen by prying eyes, bike stays dry and clean, often extra room for gear, if tailgate drops easier to load. Protects bike from stone chips.

Bad: Bike cannot be seen by you, vehicle has to be backed to trailer, heavier and less aerodynamic enclosed trailers cost gas mileage, requires heavier tow vehicles. usually cost a lot more to buy*, trailer blocks view out back of tow vehicle and all your rear vision comes from side mirrors.

I am now in the same situation as you as my wife can no longer ride long distances, but still likes to ride. We took will be taking extended moto vacations across the country this summer. At 67 and being small in stature I am starting to get weary of riding my bike up any ramp. I am currently looking at a new type rampless trailer called a Zpro MC1200 sold in Indianaand have a thread in the trailer forum about it with video. It is an open trailer which I prefer because I like seeing my bike going down the road, and I hate backing up a vehicle to get it over a ball, I'd rather manuver the trailer to the tow vehicle) and being rampless the ramp goes down to the ground and you ride on and off at ground level so no more riding up ramps, which gives me some peace of mind loading and unloading. It costs about the same as an enclosed trailer however. I have also looked at a similar trailer called a Razor sold in Ga. Indiana is closer to me.

If my son doesn't want my current open trailer I will be selling it to get a rampless model.

Hope this gives you some things to think about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Re: Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Tr

the Ferret

Thanks for the reply. Seems we are of a similar age and situation (though I'm still working :) I can't see myself doing any long distance recreational travel here in North America without taking the bike with me. I had seen your earlier posts regarding the rampless trailers and one of those types would be my clear preference for an open trailer - though they are a bit pricey compared to regular ramp trailers. I'll be interested to see/hear what you end up doing.

STOC #

My buddy rides his bike and his wife drives the car to where they want to go. Then she does their daily smaller trips on the bike with him as she just can’t do the long haul on the bike. Works quite well for them but she does like to drive

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

SO - I'm wondering how much, if any damage, occurs to the bike on an open trailer if you tow it 4,000 - 6,000 miles. My assumption would be that it gets dirty and crappy like it might if I were riding it. I'm trying to figure out if towing it exposes it to any extra type of potential damage.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I don't think this can really be answered accurately... the outcome is way too dependent on weather, road condition, how fast you go, the tow vehicle, the type of traffic around you, construction, etc.

That being said, under relatively normal circumstances, I don't think you'll have any damage that can't be washed off. It shouldn't really be any worse than riding that same 4,000-6,000 miles. I see people pulling bikes on open trailers on the highway all the time. You could remove the windscreen to protect it. You could also put a cover on it, making sure it's fastened well so flapping parts don't mar the paint.

Good luck and enjoy your trip(s)!

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA

We have also done both and adding to, re iterating, Ferrets comments
if storage is an issue, a folding open trailer such as a Kendon is great, but a stone guard is a must.
you can store gear etc in an enclosed trailer if towing in adverse conditions in a truck with limited dry hauling space.
I too would get a manual or electric/hydraulic ramp less trailer if I were to go that route again. In my 60's as well, I no longer have the strength, courage or ability to load 600-900 lb bikes onto a trailer alone.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T

The thread in the link below was started by the Ferret.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?161144-Razor-trailer/page3

post #29 is some pros and cons that I put together. My wife and I have pulled the two MC trailers described with two bikes many miles with here 2016 Mazda CX-5 with a 4 cylinder. We now use our bus to pull the trailer.

I agree with the state about the rock guard on the Kendon, but it did two significant things, added tongue weight and decreased MPG.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA

The thread in the link below was started by the Ferret.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?161144-Razor-trailer/page3

post #29 is some pros and cons that I put together. My wife and I have pulled the two MC trailers described with two bikes many miles with here 2016 Mazda CX-5 with a 4 cylinder. We now use our bus to pull the trailer.

I agree with the state about the rock guard on the Kendon, but it did two significant things, added tongue weight and decreased MPG.
Haven’t thought about the tongue weight or mileage when using a small tow vehicle, good point. With my dually 1 ton trucks, both were moot points.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T

With my dually 1 ton trucks, both were moot points.
Actually I found the on my bus (Ford E450 6.0 Turbo Diesel) that with the rockguard on the Kendon and the Droptail which is 200 pounds heavier That I lost 2 mpg with the Kendon over the Droptail. I attribute this to the rock guard shape and wind turbulence behind the bus. When you travel several thousand miles with a 2 MPG loss it is big. I also have found that the Droptail pulls easier and is more quiet than the Kendon. The Droptail has an solid aluminum deck where the Kendon has a diamond mesh deck which a lot of road debris comes through the deck to the bikes.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

I've been trailering bikes since 1984. I've never owned a covered trailer, so it's always been open. I've never seen any real damage on any of the bikes I've trailered. If I'm traveling where I spend the night someplace along the road, I will cover the bike up at night, and then take the cover off the next morning. Mostly to keep the dampness off.

trailer-Aug-2017-1-lite.jpg
bikeloaed_rain.jpg
Trailer-Ramp.jpg

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

And you can get a Geeza cover that you can leave on the bike while pulling it. I haven't used one but that's what they advertise.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA

Actually I found the on my bus (Ford E450 6.0 Turbo Diesel) that with the rockguard on the Kendon and the Droptail which is 200 pounds heavier That I lost 2 mpg with the Kendon over the Droptail. I attribute this to the rock guard shape and wind turbulence behind the bus. When you travel several thousand miles with a 2 MPG loss it is big. I also have found that the Droptail pulls easier and is more quiet than the Kendon. The Droptail has an solid aluminum deck where the Kendon has a diamond mesh deck which a lot of road debris comes through the deck to the bikes.
Interesting. I just used our Kendon on a 1200 mile RT (to pick up an ‘06 ST) behind my 6 cly F150 in October and had no change in gas mileage vs not towing. I suspect you may be correct that your buss's wind turbulence is creating the loss.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor

Thank you to everyone who has posted feedback. Some good info and food for thought. I'm familiar with the Geeza cover but the Gatorhide looks interesting too and would appear to protect the bike from scratches.

SupraSabre - your setup looks like it kills 2 birds with one stone, nice wide ramp and a stone protector when the ramps are stored up front. Two questions please:
  • Does storing the ramps on the trailer front add to towing turbulance, reduced mpg, etc?
  • Are your ramps slippery in damp or rainy conditions when you're loading or unloading?
  • Thanks

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thank you to everyone who has posted feedback. Some good info and food for thought. I'm familiar with the Geeza cover but the Gatorhide looks interesting too and would appear to protect the bike from scratches.

SupraSabre - your setup looks like it kills 2 birds with one stone, nice wide ramp and a stone protector when the ramps are stored up front. Two questions please:
  • Does storing the ramps on the trailer front add to towing turbulance, reduced mpg, etc?
  • Are your ramps slippery in damp or rainy conditions when you're loading or unloading?
  • Thanks
I never noticed a big difference when I started mounting the ramp upfront. The key is creating some kind of mount for it, so you don't just use straps on it to hold it (Like I had to do for my trip to WeSTOC 2017).

The ramps I'm using are the type off ebay (ramps), three separate ramps that you put together to make one. I bought some 8" x 1/2" bolts and then used 6" schedule 40 pipe to make the separation between them so I could ride/walk the bike up.

I also placed those bolts in the middle of the ramps to connect them to each other besides just at the hinge.

Trailer-Ramp-x3.jpg

They can get a little slick, but if you are worried about that, paint some non-slick surface stuff on them.

Also, anytime you use a ramp like that, ALWAYS tie the ramps down to the trailer with tie-downs (one on each side). That will keep the ramp from slipping out from under you when you go to load the bike!
MCRamp-tieDown.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor

SupraSabre - Thanks for the reply to my questions.

Bike
2010 ST1300

I like that Gatorhide cover, but at $600 its a bit expensive. I've trailered my bike a few times for relatively short distances, and used a heavy moving blanket to cover the front end and windshield. As noted earlier, you will need to make sure nothing flaps around in the wind.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #

I used to tow mine for camping holidays - set up a base camp and then ride out from there. It was a fold-away Motolug trailer, and would fit in the rear of the vehicle or the boot of a car. Very exposed as you can see from the picture, and we never had any issues when towing. It would sit behind the car quite happily, was very well balanced, and although it was visible through the rearview mirror, I hardly ever saw it in the wing mirrors. It got much less spray and road grime than if I was riding it !

I'd put the panniers and top box in the car, as they made the trailer rear heavy with them on. The hitch was articulated, so the base formed a ramp, and the front of it had a rocking cradle into which the front wheel was driven. Once in position the bike was supported. When parked, I would use a heavy duty locking cable to lock the front wheel to the underside of the car - so trailer and bike weren't going to go anywhere very easily. I was always a bit tense when loading the bike for the first time each year - walking the bike up the ramp, engine running, and giving it enough oomph to get over the slightly raised pivot of the front wheel cradle, but once I'd done it that once, I was happy to load and unload by myself.

Sorry that the picture isn't that clear - I seem to have lost my originals. The attached is only 400x300

Attachments

Top Bottom