The New Goldwing

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've never removed my ST bags on a trip. Ever. For maintenance sure. Otherwise that's why I have liners.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Helmet storage is a non-issue for me since I rarely, if ever, put my helmet in a top case or even a saddlebag. I always set it on top the bike with a cable lock to secure it from falling off mainly. It's upright so if there is rain or other droppings from overhead it stays dry and clean inside. When I had my GL1500 there were helmet locks under the rear of the top case that I did use. In fact I have no need for a top case either. I rarely pack enough in my saddlebags now to fill 25L, if I even get past 20L, in each. More like 15L maybe. And when I travel I use a dry bag on the tail for anything that doesn't fit in the saddlebags. I'm used to saddlebags that don't remove. Didn't remove on the GL1500 I had. The trunk was definitely not removable without leaving a large gaping hole aft of the saddle and was a major process to remove it for fixing things (did that once on my Wing). This new GWT does have a removable top case that is easier to remove than the prior year Wing versions, though not as easy as a button push. And it has available a panel to cover where the top case was to make it look like the Gold Wing. While my ST1100 did have removable saddlebags and top case but I never removed them when travelling (only for maintenance) since I've always packed my stuff in some kind of stuff sack or liner that was easy to take with me off the bike. I did remove the top case I had installed on my Burgman 650 a few times while tent camping but found I preferred to leave that mounted as well. My current CTX1300 has fixed saddlebags but I can remove each by taking out 2 bolts (some owners have replaced those bolts with wing bolts to do this without tools). Again, a non-issue for me. I use saddlebag liners so never need to remove these other than for maintenance. Everyone is different.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Helmet storage is a non-issue for me since I rarely, if ever, put my helmet in a top case or even a saddlebag. I always set it on top the bike with a cable lock to secure it from falling off mainly. It's upright so if there is rain or other droppings from overhead it stays dry and clean inside. When I had my GL1500 there were helmet locks under the rear of the top case that I did use.
Mr 987, yes interesting thing with helmets, we used to use use an Arai FV, XL (stop s******ing at the back) and AGV XS, both full face. Used to fit wherever we wanted to put them, went to Shoei Qwest's X 2 and they wouldn't fit anywhere. Now gone to Shoei Gtair's and I don't know if they'll fit or not. But some folks who store helmets on their bikes today might be surprised if they swap helmets. It's only a problem on day rides anyway, otherwise all the bags are full with Er indoors clothes.
Upt'North.
Upt'North.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Rear wheel maintenance is a breeze on a wing, remove the rear center panel and then a cross bar and you have access to the 5 bolts that hold the wheel on the single sided swingarm.
I didn't know that the wing had a single sided swing arm. When I have done my looking at other tourers that I might like to own, I first go through and cross off my list the ones with a single sided arm * - my feeling is that they are not up to the job for carrying the weight. A rather bigoted opinion which has been reinforced by having a couple of friends who's BMWs final drive collapsed on them.

But if the Wing can cope with one, maybe I just need to cross off BMWs rather than any with such an arrangement.
Do the Goldwings have a history of problems, or do they have the typical Honda reliability ?

* The other things I cross off are - those that instruct riders not to use panniers and top box at the same time, and those that had twitchy fly by wire throttles. I don't know what I feel about automatics or canbus. But I digress !

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I didn't know that the wing had a single sided swing arm. When I have done my looking at other tourers that I might like to own, I first go through and cross off my list the ones with a single sided arm * - my feeling is that they are not up to the job for carrying the weight. A rather bigoted opinion which has been reinforced by having a couple of friends who's BMWs final drive collapsed on them.

But if the Wing can cope with one, maybe I just need to cross off BMWs rather than any with such an arrangement.
Do the Goldwings have a history of problems, or do they have the typical Honda reliability ?

* The other things I cross off are - those that instruct riders not to use panniers and top box at the same time, and those that had twitchy fly by wire throttles. I don't know what I feel about automatics or canbus. But I digress !
The previous generation GoldWing has had a single sided swingarm also since 2001. I'm not aware of any particular reliability issues, although the frames had cracking issues in earlier years - and I'm sure some rear ends have been worn out. It's actually a nice feature, as the rear wheel can be R&R'd in the field by simply laying the bike over on the tipover bars, and unbolting the wheel. No messing with brakes or rear fender removal. I'm not sure that works on the 2018.

The chain drive Honda VFR was famous for a single sided swingarm also. No upsetting the chain adjustment or brakes pulling the rear.

Considering American Honda chose not to import the ST1300 Top Box, we never officially had to deal with those pesky weight warnings. :D

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #

I think your sample size is just a skosh on the low side. ;)

The VFR1200 models (F and X) also have a single sided SA. There was a recall for a driveshaft bearing but no issues with the swingarm itself.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
As far as ground clearance... with the older version it was only in tight twisties w/poor form that you would notice or scrap a peg.. for me anyway... once your technique is better then it's a non issue. But, now that it's a little more and the suspension can be adjusted electronically to a stiffer setting it may just be a almost perfect setup. I'm trying to not like the new wing but it's not easy.. lol The only thing saving me is I have a few things I want to do to my house that is stalling funds for a new bike so whew, that's close... but then again... do I really need new counter tops.. h mmmm

Bike
R1200rt
As far as ground clearance... with the older version it was only in tight twisties w/poor form that you would notice a scrap a peg.. for me anyway... once your technique is better then it's a non issue. But, now that it's a little more and the suspension can be adjusted electronically to a stiffer setting it may just be a almost perfect setup. I'm trying to not like the new wing but it's not easy.. lol The only thing saving me is I have a few things I want to do to my house that is stalling funds for a new bike so whew, that's close... but then again... do I really need new counter tops.. h mmmm
Like a kid in a candy store ......... every year some bike comes out with great pictures of riding through some incredible roads and suddenly I want that bike !! Then reality sets in,,,what a bummer!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mellow said:
it was only in tight twisties w/poor form that you would notice a scrap a peg..
This is what my 'Wing buddy says about riding in general and with his '05 'Wing. We talked to a random 'Wing rider when met on the road and he was pretty proud of grinding down the pavement feelers on the bottom of the pegs. 'Oh yeah I have to replace them all the time! :D'

'Wing buddy was an enforcement motor instructor for about 7/8s of his career and just disappears on that bike with my ST buddy right behind him. Neither scrape pegs. I'm all 'Where'd they go / where'd WHO go??'

It's really really difficult to prognosticate based on pics and yet... I've had zero interest in riding a 'Wing. 0. Naught. Until now and and reading about actual user experience with the DCT here. Even 'Wing Buddy is now very curious about it after previously saying 'Nah I like to shift'. The bit about coming to a fast stop and ending up in first amazes him. Yet cars and trucks do it all the time. Coming soon to a deal near me...

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Aha! I figured you did that since you didn't call me to "let's go look" on Monday...just went on and jumped in head first! At Southern Honda in Chattanooga?
I didn't go to Cool Springs to look until Tuesday, and was told that they couldn't buy them for what Southern quoted. Oh, well. Called Southern and placed $300 deposit over the phone. Waiting on call back with estimated delivery. Sitting on one, looks smaller than my ST1300.

Ride Safe
John

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cdnemsguy said:
I was emailed this today.
Great link! Thanks. I've always liked the F6B in yellow. As the Gold Wing it looks great in white but next to the GWT it looks a tad dated. Still looks great but I'd take a PW DCT GWT.

Looking forward to a demo ride to tell me that it's a little too much bike for me and a little too big to fit in place of my ST. Otherwise I'm in trouble.

I really like the updated tech that brings the 'Wings into the 21st century and the smaller size but the two things that really get to me (besides the trick DCT!) are the FWD/REV walking speeds and the tach and speedo needs rotating full arc and back on ignition. I first saw that on the 2017/18 CB1100EX. So trick.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
When I sat on a new one this week, it looked smaller than my ST1300 from the rider position. Much narrower and I can stand up flat flooted over the bike, just like my '08 Wing. It's shorter than the 1300.

Ride Safe
John

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I didn't go to Cool Springs to look until Tuesday, and was told that they couldn't buy them for what Southern quoted. Oh, well. Called Southern and placed $300 deposit over the phone. Waiting on call back with estimated delivery. Sitting on one, looks smaller than my ST1300.

Ride Safe
John
We'll meet half way somewhere and have a lunch when you get it. They look like a great bike to me but I want to put a few more miles on my ST.

Raymond

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
We'll meet half way somewhere and have a lunch when you get it. They look like a great bike to me but I want to put a few more miles on my ST.

Raymond

Yeah, we could meet up somewhere between B'ham and Montgomery. Couple of hundred miles for lunch sounds about right. You're just now getting your ST1300 broken in, so you might as well keep it.

John

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I do like it and I really like the brown color it comes in on the GW (non tour), but I don’t $25K like it (not that it’s a bad price, but 2 STs currently in the garage obviates my need for a new one). Maybe one day I’ll spring for a used one (but keep the STs!).

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
When I sat on a new one this week, it looked smaller than my ST1300 from the rider position. Much narrower and I can stand up flat flooted over the bike, just like my '08 Wing. It's shorter than the 1300.

Ride Safe
John
The ST1300 and the new wing are both 36" wide at the tips of the rearviews.

Top Bottom