adding an additional brake light to the bike

Bike
2002 ST1100
With all the distracted drivers out there I thought it would be a good idea to add a bright brake light that flashes before going to steady light. I had one on my BMW and it worked great at getting attention.

I've searched all the options and there are many so now I'm looking for recommendation. Has anyone done this and which light would you buy again?

Dan

Bike
98st1100,14nc700x
Hey There,
I put this Admore lightbar on both my bikes and I love them. 3flash then solid brake light,amber progressive turn singals(also works with hazzards if ya got em) and also available in 10" model. there is also a new series that will fiash brake light on for roll off throttle deceleration . installation is easy with the posi-tap wire adaptors included. I mounted mine under the licence plate on mine . I had to use 3" plates to extend down from lower plate mounting holes but you can mount it wherever.This link is for the smallest 8" model good luck and ride safely...Chuck
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/admore-lighting-high-output-led-light-bar-with-running-brake-and-progressive-amber-turn-signals

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I've never owned a ST-1100 and I can't recall the rear light setup.
On my GW I just installed a "back off" Modulator, since it already has 4 bulbs in 3 fixtures.
When I had my 06 WEE and almost got rear ended by a Semi (while making left turn), I installed the Large Admore (mentioned above) that has tail, brake and signal lights.
On my Super T, that already has LED tail/brake bulbs, I just added the 16 bulb Hyperlight.
If you need links, let me know. Good Luck

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm pretty appalled by the amount of light given out by the ST1300. The ST1100 was a bit better, but not by much. I also noticed that having seen one from a van / lorry point of view, how difficult the rear light is to see when there is a top box on the bike.

I fitted an extra rear light (fog light) to the underside of my top box bracket and put a 10w bulb in it, rather than the normal 5w. And I have the Honda LED spoiler strip on the top of my ST1300 top box, which is wired as a tail / stop light.

Flashing rear, brake and headlights are not permitted on motor vehicles in the UK. Although pulsing them with the lever is always an option.

Bike
05 st1300
STOC #

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I always add a strobe head to the brake light circuit like a Whelen TR3/LIN3, Strobes N More E3, or Feniex T3.

http://www.strobesnmore.com/Body-Mount.html
I use one of these as a third brake light. It is super bright and you can change the strobe patterns. If one of these doesn't get a drivers attention nothing will! I also have a front brake lock installed and when you engage the lock the brake strobe will continue to operate. This is a great feature if you have to stop on the side of the road. Much better than four way flashers.

Dan

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Admore light bar on my ST1100, mounted to the fender just below the license plate. There is a picture of my bike on the Admore website with the bar installed. Originally, I was going to mount it to the bottom of the license plate, but I thought that would be too much weight acting like a lever and break the license plate.

I'm going to be adding a Givi V47 trunk with the Admore lighting kit in a bit, this will give me running/stop/turn signals on the trunk, the same on the stock tail light and another set of lights on the Admore light bar. I'm sure some BDC will probably still run into me saying "I didn't see you!" ... <sigh>

I've also got four way flashers installed that work with all of the above.

OP
OP
Dan T
Bike
2002 ST1100
Great idea’shere. The Whelen Lin3 is very similar to what I had on the BMW.
If I can get that to flash 3 times beforegoing to solid I think that would do it.
I see a lot of good options noted. Thanks
Dan

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Is this the right bulb size for the 1300?
Yes, the tail/brake light bulbs are 7443.

One thing to be aware of, unlike the OEM bulbs, LED's are directional and need to be inserted one way only. I don't recall if they're labeled, but you can easily test them ahead of time

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Great idea’shere. The Whelen Lin3 is very similar to what I had on the BMW.
If I can get that to flash 3 times beforegoing to solid I think that would do it.
I see a lot of good options noted. Thanks
Dan
I just let mine flash all the time. It tends to keep the cagers 'awake' and they tend to stop about two car lengths back. :D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
First you should know the lighting laws in your neighborhood and decide if you're going to abide or not. No judgement here just decide if possibly getting stopped and possibly receiving an award is acceptable. Many have never been stopped. There's almost always a first time.

I too use a strobe head (SnM E3) in place of the rear reflector on my 1300. My pattern of choice is four flashes/pause/four flashes/pause while the brakes are on. In CA legal is four flashes within four seconds and then going solid.

The LCA-100A that Andrew linked to is a nice bit of kit. I really like its 4fast/4slow/solid pattern and the price is right. I used one on my car's spoiler mounted LED brake light.

I'd put one on my ST but I've already got a strobe and don't want a visual cacophony. My strong preference is for at least one bright (preferably strobe) auxiliary brake-light-only light. Off/Brighter is more attention getting than Bright/Brighter (tail light brake light combo lights). That's the principle of the CHMSL. This is why my ST is also adorned with the Gary Rowe rack-pad brake light. (And strobe!)

Right now I'm doing something for the anemic tail lights. Brighter LEDs replaced the incandescents with brighter LEDs. Unfortunately being LEDs they don't light up the lenses fully as do the OEM lights but they do have two very bright hot spots and provide greater conspicuity. I'm looking to augment the tail light once more.

About LED's 'directionality'— not all LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. Better vendors will tell you if they are or not. If they are PS then just pulling a bulb and rotating it 180˚ should get it working. Not a big deal either way.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I use one of these as a third brake light. It is super bright and you can change the strobe patterns. If one of these doesn't get a drivers attention nothing will! I also have a front brake lock installed and when you engage the lock the brake strobe will continue to operate. This is a great feature if you have to stop on the side of the road. Much better than four way flashers.
This is my strobe of choice as well. These are incredibly bright being EMS emergency lights. They're really too bright for brake lights at night if you don't carry a badge (and even then). Even during bright daylight cars will often stop farther behind me than normal.

A nice feature of the E lineup is a High/Low brightness option.The E line has an additional lead that reduces the brightness when connected to 12V. With a flick of an SPST switch power is reduced for night time use. I haven't bothered as I don't ride much at night but it's a good idea.

I also have the Pindell parking brake. But without additional wiring the ignition must be On unlike the four-way flashers. This is tough on the 1300's battery. Replacing the turn signal bulbs makes the flashers more effective and less hungry (but use an LED turn signal flasher not resistors).

One note on parking and strobing: We've had too many police officers struck by DUIs while they were parked with flashing lights resulting in deaths and severe injuries. Footage of a damaged Ford Explored/Interceptor was horrific and broke my heart.

For now the local CHP policy is not to use lights once the stop is made. There is no perfect answer so this is just an FYI to be aware of your surroundings and minimize exposure if and when at all possible especially at night.

The Cheese

I just let mine flash all the time. It tends to keep the cagers 'awake' and they tend to stop about two car lengths back. :D
Exactly this. A Whelen TIR3 or LIN3 is one of the first things I put on a bike. I wouldn't ride without one. Keeps people way off your butt! I like Whelen lights so much I put a smaller Micron light on the back of my wife's car. I'd have one on my SUV if I could figure out the dang CAN-BUS system.

Top Bottom