Can the "magnet" in the 28A alternator loose its magnetism?

Not sure where to go on this. I have charging issues that seem typical and have posted before. Everyone gave good input. I brought the bike to my bike shop where they installed a new stator ( and probably the last Partzilla will have), regulator and battery. No output !!!. They ohmed out all of the wiring with no problems. Still nothing.

They did not change the magnet in the other part of the alternator. He said there is one and that it may have lost its magnetism. ( assuming it is part of the control loop). I am not sure about it and would love some input

:confused:

Regards
Gary

OP
OP
garysp
I brought it there because it didn't charge. new stator, R/R and battery. No output from the Alternator

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Can the "magnet" in the 28A alternator loose its magnetism?

There's no permanent magnet in the 28A alternator.

Probably a bad connection or wire somewhere.

-Jeff

OP
OP
garysp
Thanks for the clarification. The simplest answer is usually the right one I'll see tomorrow

regards
Gary

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, if the permanent magnet of the rotor goes "weak", you'd still have some output... not full capacity though, maybe also pretty odd readings across the RPM band, but some juice should come out...

The thought isn't unreasonable, a number of old VT's and GL's required new rotors...

OP
OP
garysp
Finally fixed. The new regulator I bought was bad. got a new one and we are all set to go.

thanks all for your responses

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Well, if the permanent magnet of the rotor goes "weak", you'd still have some output... not full capacity though, maybe also pretty odd readings across the RPM band, but some juice should come out...

The thought isn't unreasonable, a number of old VT's and GL's required new rotors...
The ST1100 does not use a permanent magnet type stator, there's nothing to demagnetize.

-Jeff

Top Bottom