Burnt Dash?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I discovered a small problem when I gave my ST a long overdue quick wash job yesterday morning, as seen in the photo. It's a "burned spot" on the top of the dash, above and slightly left of the push pin fastener in the photo. I have no idea how long it's been there and I just didn't notice it until yesterday. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the windscreen on the ST1300 has been known to cause this problem under the right conditions, as when the bike is parked in the sun at just the right angle, the W/S can act as a prism and focus sunlight to a small circle and burn the dash, as on mine. I assume this is what happened, unless it was an act of vandalism, possibly from a lit cigarette(?) There is a very small hole near the center of the damaged area, verified by probing with a small nail from a mini picture hanger. Would it be very difficult to file the raised portion of the damage flush with the surrounding area, then fill the depression with epoxy? I could then try to color-match it with some touch-up paint with the brush in the bottle cap obtained from an auto parts store. I'm guessing either flat black or glossy black should do it. If it isn't a perfect match, it should still look better than it does now.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Don

Attachments

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Re: Anyone fixed this problem?

Could that be sun damage with the curve of your windshield acting as a magnifying glass?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

Search for "dash branding" and you might find an answer.

-- Mark

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE

That's why most people put their jacket on the windshield when they stop/eat...........you might do a search for plastic touchup....someone awhile ago had good success with a tipover wing but I forgot what they used...............................good luck...............ff

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Wow that is some heat there to do that damage. I place my jacket on the windshield most times I stop.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

"dash branding"
Hit the nail on the head..... It was a popular word back in 04 when I first got my bike. Usu it involved more of a "burn line" as the sun moved across the sky and the focused beam moved.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Yikes! I remember reading about "dash branding" the first year or two I owned my bike. As I recall, it's rare, but it does occur. I think everything would need to line up just so for it to happen.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #

Hit the nail on the head..... It was a popular word back in 04 when I first got my bike. Usu it involved more of a "burn line" as the sun moved across the sky and the focused beam moved.
A Honda sun dial. Now that is scary - what if it focuses the sun on some wiring on dash-mounted GPS / radar detector?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

what if it focuses the sun on some wiring on dash-mounted GPS / radar detector?
It had to do with the edge of the windshield and the fairing... prob the fairing material is softer material than other plastics... but who knows. It is not overly common tho so don't worry.

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
[QUOTE;1737962]First, stop smoking and riding....second if that is the panel directly behind the shield, it is only like 24 bucks for a new one...[/QUOTE]

So, where could I find the replacement dash? Looked at the Ron Ayers site but no luck finding it there...

OP
OP
Don B
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Mike, I'll check it out on my desktop later-looks like I have a compatibility issue between the website and my Android device.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Yup...dash branding.

Usually happens when the bike is parked facing NORTH.

:mad:

Top Bottom