2x2 cycle rack mounting question

I ordered and will be receiving a 2x2 cycle rack to carry my bicycle on my st1300. Has anyone here mounted that system on their bike and been able to modify it so the top trunk can still be used as well?

OP
OP
Flatbroke
got the rack mounted. Works great but trunk won't fit. Can mount it using spacers when not carrying bike though.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Pretty neat, any taillight needed back there? In Minnesota rear loads like that need a reflector or light, daytime a red flag....minimum....nice bike.........ff

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Pretty neat, any taillight needed back there? In Minnesota rear loads like that need a reflector or light, daytime a red flag....minimum....nice bike.........ff
i affixed a light to the rear of the seat bag and had it set on a solid red while riding for visibility. It isn't blinding bright but helps.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Have been looking at this same product or something very similar.

You mentioned spacers were needed to allow both bicycle rack and top box to fit. Presumably they still don't fit simultaneously? Also, interested in details as to the spacers: size? Placement?

I have the GIVI plate to hold a V46 top box; hope to find a way to make a bike mount work so would appreciate any / all details and detailed pix you can offer. Best if both can play together; not always possible to have it all, is it?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Flatbroke
Have been looking at this same product or something very similar.

You mentioned spacers were needed to allow both bicycle rack and top box to fit. Presumably they still don't fit simultaneously? Also, interested in details as to the spacers: size? Placement?

I have the GIVI plate to hold a V46 top box; hope to find a way to make a bike mount work so would appreciate any / all details and detailed pix you can offer. Best if both can play together; not always possible to have it all, is it?

Thanks!
. I have not installed the spacers yet as I wanted to try the bike out Monday , (yesterday) and I didn't have time to install the rack until Sunday the day before.

If if you zoom in on the photo in post #6 you will see a vacant hole in between the bolts that the top plate would mount to. There is also a hole behind the last bolt. Those are the same spacing that would accept the top plate for my Honda line top plate and box. I would need double threaded standoffs or alluminum spacers and thread a bold down and lock nut the bottom. In order for the plate to stay affixed. Unfortunately I believe my top box (pan euro Honda ) is too tall to fit with the bike on. But the plate will fit as I set it on after the bike was mounted. Therefore on days i don't have the bike I can use the trunk. The tail section of the rack can either be removed or slide all the way inward and secured with the bolt for minimal sticking out the back. It will still be longer however.

One could possibly fab a new plate assembly and mount it farther back on the rack for clearance with the bike installed. The bike would have to be taken off to open the box though. I do not know what the givi rack size is. I am going to try and mount my top box on though an hope to have photos In the future. The top box is just too convenient not to have on.

I was was able to get a 34 mile bike ride in after work so I am happy with the purchase so far. The rack is really well made.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm glad to see you ran the straps somewhere other than the grab rails. The rear rack is only plastic and that's a bit of a lever running that far off the rack.

OP
OP
Flatbroke
I'm glad to see you ran the straps somewhere other than the grab rails. The rear rack is only plastic and that's a bit of a lever running that far off the rack.
pulling off of the passenger foot pegs and running across the stem actually lifts the bike upward so there is very little reward pressure. You have to use a quick release to lock the crank in to keep the bike from lifting up

Top Bottom