Oxford heated grips

Bike
Honda ST1300
I just recently installed a set of the oxford heated grips for sport bikes on my ST and they feel nice and toasty after about 30 sec on full power, only tested in a garage though.

Kind of late to ask but anyone else install these and have real riding experience with them?

On top of that, i am thinking of getting a set of grip puppies or something similar to make the grips thicker. I recently read through a bunch of threads from 2005-2008 about heat from symtec, hondaline and other heated grips working through the extra layer...so i'm assuming it would be the same with the oxfords.:confused: I also read that they absorb water, so any better alternatives that may be easily available in Canada, or cheap to ship from the US?
answers are probably somewhere in old threads but I'm too lazy too read them any more

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I installed the oxfords and love them. I believe you'll find you can't ride with them on the the 2 highest settings, they'll cook your hands. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes before they're HOT HOT! I run them on high while I get the bike warmed up, then drop them down a notch until they're nice and toasty while I ride. Then I set them on the 2nd from the lowest setting and leave them. I couldn't be happier with my choice. The only thing I would change would be to make them a little wider. Other than that, they're are great.

Bike
2007 st1300
I installed my oxford "for sport bikes" a few months ago. No complaints heat-wise. I'll concur with JoeP about needing to dial them down a level or two. No experience with grip puppies.
My only gripe with the oxfords, the lights on the control unit are difficult to see so during daylight hours I often cant tell what heat level I'm at. I emailed oxford to see what I could do ... no response.
To help see the control unit lights I switched around the metal mount (located near the left grip) and used velcro to attach the control unit to the mount; drop me a line if you want pics.

Bottom line - no regrets!

Bike
ST 1300A
I installed this winter as well. Only went for a short ride with them,but like them so far. I never heard of grip puppies. But I do know I can't stand my grips feeling thick, if they are too thick my hands cramp up. I even look for gloves that aren't bulky in the palm. Which I'm having a hard time finding. Why can't they make gloves with thin palms? that way the heat from the grips can heat your hands even easier.

OP
OP
Red wolf
Bike
Honda ST1300
I found that last year while riding with the stock grips, my right hand cramped up and fell asleep a couple of times. Never had this happen on my other bikes, which had thicker grips. So i figure must be due to the narrower grips on the ST. Might have been because i wasn't use to the size of the grips on the ST, i'll probably wait until i can get a ride or two in before i make a drastic decision on spending $10-15 on grip puppies (or something similar)

Atleast every one is enjoying them, now i can't wait to get a first ride of the year in

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
My only gripe with the oxfords, the lights on the control unit are difficult to see so during daylight hours I often cant tell what heat level I'm at.
My buddy that turned me onto the Oxford grips had the same complaint about his controller. The following controller, which is different than his and possibly the one in which you speak, came with mine. I have no complaints at all about it.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I've been using the Grip Puppies for nearly 200K miles so far and never found rain/water to be a problem with them. They don't absorb that much and dry fairly quickly, specially if they're on heated grips. For me their advantage is a little thicker, but much softer which leads to a lighter, less straining/tiring grip over time. Had no problem with heat getting through them, maybe a little longer warm-up time when first turning on the heaters. FWIW.

Hadn't heard of these heated grips before and enjoyed this thread. I'll be looking into them.

QUESTION: Which model grips fit the ST1300?

Shuey

OP
OP
Red wolf
Bike
Honda ST1300
This is the set i got Hopefully this helps

I just did a 13km ride in our lovely +5 weather (would have done longer but there is still snow,ice, and sand) to test out the heated grips, I had it on the 2nd lowest setting (40% i think) and my hands were setting.
As for the display on the controller, i was easily able to see all the lights except for the 40% one which i couldn't see at all.

I did get a few strange looks and some double takes from people who i rode past. It is normally still the middle of winter (-15 degrees celsius) this time of the year

Bike
st1300
i have just had a set of oxford heated grips fitted to my st1300 by my local motorcycle shop. grips are brilliant for the cold weather lovely and toasty. and being slightly larger diameter than the stock grips i think they are more comfortable on long journeys. only problem is my throttle now sticks open which isnt good. it is so bad that I have told the shop that it is coming back for them to put right. Wish i had bit the bullet and done the job myself now, just found it a bit daunting having to remove the left fairing to gain access to the qaurtet harness. Wont make the same mistake again though. I have to wire an accessory plug into the harness and will attempt it myself first.

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I put a set of Oxford "Heaterz" on my ST1100. They worked GREAT - made me wonder why I waited so long to put a set on.

I researched all the grip alternatives and I specifically went with the Oxfords because of the heavy duty protection for the wires where they come off the grip. Most of the failures I read about with heated grips involved those wires breaking.

Mine were still running fine when I crashed the 1100 ending its service, but those grips gave me just over 2 years and 85,000 miles of good service!

I put a set on my wife's bike and hers are still running fine too!

Bike
2005 ST1300
I would like to order these, but how hard is it to get the old stock grips off? How long, big a job is it, keeping in mind I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer! Thxs BOB

Bike
ST 1300A
Gettint the gribs off is easy just use a air compressor and blow into the end of the grib with the blower and slide them off as you do that.. Pretty easy to install too just take your time. hardest part is rooting the wires.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Gettint the gribs off is easy just use a air compressor and blow into the end of the grib with the blower and slide them off as you do that.. Pretty easy to install too just take your time. hardest part is rooting the wires.
Thxs, I appreciate that, I think I'm going to give it a try, my 66 yr old hands are starting to give me a few problems. BOB

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
only problem is my throttle now sticks open which isnt good.
I stuck my throttle twice while installing mine. I had to remove the grip and throttle tube, then sand the handlebar with 1200 grit paper I had on hand (sanded it like buffing a shoe) and take a dremil tool with a sanding drum and remove the glue from inside the tube.

The left grip also never fully stuck and would slightly turn. I found "Instant Grip Glue" by ProTaper and used it the 3rd time, on both sides. Be very careful NOT to get the glue on the inside of the throttle tube or you'll have it stuck again.

The Instant Grip Glue, is just that, instant! The label says it will bond in 10 to 25 seconds. I'd say 10 seconds was more like it. Apply it and push the grip on QUICK! Have the grip where you want it because once bonded, it is done.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/instant_grip_glue/web1005717

Des

Bike
'00 ST1100-P
I've used the grips on 2 bikes, and the wrap things on another. Both worked really well. For the really cold winter we had in the UK last year, I also used handlebar muffs, not exactly sexy but worked brilliantly with the hot grips in the coldest of weather.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
The only difference between the Sport and Touring is the texture of the grip itself. Touring is smooth-ish, sport is waffled.

I've been using the Grip Puppies for nearly 200K miles so far and never found rain/water to be a problem with them. They don't absorb that much and dry fairly quickly, specially if they're on heated grips. For me their advantage is a little thicker, but much softer which leads to a lighter, less straining/tiring grip over time. Had no problem with heat getting through them, maybe a little longer warm-up time when first turning on the heaters. FWIW.

Hadn't heard of these heated grips before and enjoyed this thread. I'll be looking into them.

QUESTION: Which model grips fit the ST1300?

Shuey

Top Bottom