Gas from the bottom of Carb

Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
Well I am resurrecting my 97 ST1100. It has been parked while I have been enjoying other bikes. Well first thing the fuel pump was bad so I replaced it with a third party one. Now instead of no gas I have gas coming out of the bottom of the cards (lots). Some idiot (look in the mirror) put lock tight on the interior carb screws I believe. So before I get the drill out any suggestions? Float stuck, cracked or broken fuel line???
Bruce

I would suggest that you first find out , exactly , where the fuel is coming from. you don't think that new fuel pump, could be over pressurizing things?

Bike
92 ST1100
I would suggest that you first find out , exactly , where the fuel is coming from. you don't think that new fuel pump, could be over pressurizing things?
+1........would be my first suspect/red flag!...........no leak prior...now leaking with no other mentioned change.....pretty much a given;).

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Don't ask me how I know this; but, a float could easily cause fuel to dump out of the drains... you might want to pull the tubes off the bottoms of the float drains and see which one is dumping fuel... if they all dump then at least you know you get to work on them all! :)

OP
OP
BruceP
Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
The fuel pump was recommended by the list and I did not see any complaints. The bike has been parked for 10 years with no gas in the tank in a heated garage. I do not know how the fuel shut off works maybe vacuum? I can not get at the carbs to check anything till I can get the screws out of the top. (big job with the screws being seized) It would be wonderful if I could see if the floats are stuck.
Bruce

Bike
92 ST1100
The fuel pump was recommended by the list and I did not see any complaints. The bike has been parked for 10 years with no gas in the tank in a heated garage. I do not know how the fuel shut off works maybe vacuum? I can not get at the carbs to check anything till I can get the screws out of the top. (big job with the screws being seized) It would be wonderful if I could see if the floats are stuck.
Bruce
UHhhh......screws out of what?:confused: If your talking the diaphrams caps on top of carbs, that is NOT what you want to do. If carbs are leaking, the carb bank HAS to be removed to remove float bowls in order to check functioning of float needles, etc.;).

Check to see witch carb is leaking, if it is just one have you tried LIGHTLY tapping the float bowl ? Sometimes the float needle will stick in the open position after prolonged storage. Also after awhile the neoprene/rubber tips on the float needle can dry up/shrink then it is rebuild time. My .02c Oh yeah never locktight the float bowl screws or the clutch/brake cap screws, oh well U figured that out yourself. Good luck

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Are you talking about the screws that hold the airbox to the top of the carbs? The very least you should do is invest in some vessel screw drivers to assist in removing them. American phillips screw drivers are designed to slip. Vessels will grip much better. You can also get a vessel screw driver designed to work similar to a impact driver with a metal plate on the butt of the handle... you can tap on the handle to keep it from slipping as you apply greater torque.

Bike
92 ST1100
Are you talking about the screws that hold the airbox to the top of the carbs? The very least you should do is invest in some vessel screw drivers to assist in removing them. American phillips screw drivers are designed to slip. Vessels will grip much better. You can also get a vessel screw driver designed to work similar to a impact driver with a metal plate on the butt of the handle... you can tap on the handle to keep it from slipping as you apply greater torque.
...better known as JIS(JapeneseIndustrialStandard) when going to purchase;).

OP
OP
BruceP
Bike
97 ST11/06 ST13A
STOC #
The screws I am fighting with are the Air Chamber/ duct assembly. I have the Japan Screw driver but they are solid. I may have to remove the carb set and see if I can see something from the bottom.

Top Bottom