Needed Something Slower

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
My problem with the ST1100, is that it is too easy to ride it too fast. Having regularly found myself at highway speeds on four lane roads with a 45mph limit before realizing it, I decided a change of pace was necessary.

So a few months ago, I sold my 91 ST (kept the 01), and a scooter, and searched for a suitable replacement. I wanted something that could do the mileage, would be comfortable, and would make me want to take things a bit easier. After a good bit of searching, and a deal that fell through (stealership sold the bike out from under me, when I had thought we had a deal set), I eventually settled on getting a NOS 2016 Vaquero.

Of course, it needed a few additions (taller screen, lights, 12V outlet, ECU flash, GPS etc.) and with the limited carrying, we added a hitch, and a California Sidecar trailer to get it to where I wanted it to be. Now have a great touring rig, that my wife enjoys riding more than the ST (I still prefer the ST), and which helps to keep me in check.
I have to say that with the rear air suspension, I find this to be one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden, and with the factory cruise and sounds, it ticks all the boxes but economy.
The stock machine had an unusual throttle response from the ride-by-wire system under certain conditions, and ran really hot. Getting the Ivan's ECU flash brought the throttle back to a linear response, cooled things down considerably, and improved the MPG a bit. If you have, or get, a Vaquero or Voyager, I cannot recommend the Ivan's ECU flash highly enough. It transforms the bike into what Kawasaki should have made it.

Make no mistake, this is a heavy lump, with limited ground clearance, but still handles very well considering. Once you've hauled it up off the stand, the weight is a lot less noticeable. There is plenty of torque low down, with peak hitting at 2,750rpm, so getting her up to road speed is not an issue, and with the trailer on there is no difference, so you hardly notice it's there. Economy could be better, with the 1700cc twin lump returning 40-45mpg around town when ridden judiciously, but that can drop to the high thirties when you get on it, and that's with premium gas.
The "Kawasaki positive neutral finder" takes a bit of getting used to, but the K-ACT linked brakes don't. Only time ABS engaged is when I deliberately forced it. Otherwise braking is smooth and efficient, with the linked brakes unobtrusive.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my purchase. The value for money can't be beat. The comfort is excellent, performance is exactly where I needed to be, the amenities are all there (Audiophiles could pick holes in the sound system, but it does what I need it to do, letting me hear the music clearly, and cleanly, at highway speeds.......after fitting a taller screen. The aux input adapter could be better, but it does the job.), and it looks and sounds good. Even it could run on regular gas, or get over 50mpg on the premium, I'd be delighted. But you can't have everything in this world.
This may not be for everyone, but it suits the needs of my wife and myself admirably. I'm very glad I still have one ST, though.

Here's a few pics to illustrate.
6017158976226620865_account_id=1.jpg 20170624_134152_001.jpg 20170506_125604_001.jpg 20170506_125513.jpg
To show the removable hitch receiver,
20170525_102530_001.jpg 20170525_102731.jpg

And one to show how she was completely stock.
20170503_085247_001.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Very interesting looking bike! The windscreen is a little too old school for me compared to the rest of the bike but I like! Looks great in white.

FLOORBOARDS? Now I REALLY like! Congratulations!

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I looked at it again and really like it. Its styling reminds me of a lot of 50s cars with extra chrome trim fender skirts etc something like a

:D Did I mention I really like it?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Great find, I would think the wife may feel more comfortable with a back rest. Another plus for white color.
Can you ride two up on that? Doesn't look much like a pillion seat and I see no hand holds. Pretty sure my wife wouldn't ride back there! No way I would.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The car needs a Continental Kit to compete with the Vaquero.

+1 on a back rest for comfort but for style I think a butt rest i.e. very low back rest would look great. Maybe a detachable back rest?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
That's what Luv Handles are for! :rofl1:

The seat on his bike does have a strap like the old Hondas had.
Yeah, that's just cosmetic though, to satisfy the handhold requirement. Seriously though, is this really designed for two-up, not just a seat pad, strap and footpegs to market it as two-up?

Maybe I'm way off base here but it just doesn't look safe for a pillion. Kind of like sportbikes can carry a pillion... it can happen, just not safely, at all. I guess it depends on how far you're going... across town or across country.

It is a nice looking bike though, especially in white.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
All you need now is a white 3/4 helmet and black jacket, make the cages in front of you think you're an LEO.
I noticed that the big K managed to get a little Kawasaki green on it.

Nice looking cruiser - I'd take one of those over a HD any time.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Seriously though, is this really designed for two-up
I think so. Kawa calls it a gel touring seat and there this:

Use the bare 'pad' for around town and day trips and bolt on the backrest for LD (Longer Distances).

I have no doubt his best half will advise him accordingly.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The "Kawasaki positive neutral finder" takes a bit of getting used to,
That was one of the features that I liked most on my Concours. It's great to be able to easily find neutral and not have to be concerned about accidentally going through neutral and into second gear. Personally, I think it's a good safety feature that should be standard equipment on all bikes.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I just took a closer look at the photos in the original post and in Kawasaki's website and could not find any reference anywhere to a center stand. The accessories list on the website also does not list a CS as being available. Sorry, but if I were in the market for another bike that would be a deal-killer for me. I don't often do heavy-duty maintenance, but like to at least be able to change the oil and filter, replace brake pads, and R&R either of the wheels for tire repair or replacement.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Don B said:
It's great to be able to easily find neutral and not have to be concerned about accidentally going through neutral and into second gear.
+1 but I've never heard of this feature. How's it work?

Don B said:
Sorry, but if I were in the market for another bike that would be a deal-killer for me.
Since I'd seldom need to put it on the center stand way from home a wheel chock would work for me. The lack of a center stand would not be enough to put me off of a bike that I otherwise really like. Same with cruise control. Just sayin'.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
+1 but I've never heard of this feature. How's it work?
I don't know just how it works, but it is a feature built into the gear set, and all I can say is that it works well. It only functions when the bike is stationary and thus the gears in the transmission are stationary, as soon as the bike is in motion, obviously the feature is disabled. That's all I can tell you about it, but I liked it.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Congrats on the new ride. I got a Victory Vision for many of the reasons you listed and the wife absolutely prefers the ride over the ST1300. With the trunk on it, it has the feel of an armchair for her and she calls it her Rolls Royce. Having the wife eager to join me most anytime I ride makes a big difference in my riding pleasure.

Like you I still have the ST and now that I am used to wrangling the Vision it actually feels like a small sport bike when I take it out. Never saw that coming! ( though I am again looking for that missing 6th gear....)

The Victory does not have a center-stand and I doubt anyone could pull it up onto one even if it did, but I would for sure be scraping it in the corners like I did several times on my old 84 Shadow 750. And speaking of the Shadow, I got a a bike upholsterer to widen (and soften) the seat for the pillion, so that is an option if this becomes an issue.

Ride safe.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't know just how it works
I asked the wrong question. How does a rider use this feature and why would it 'take some getting used to?' What would someone notice if they didn't know about it and took the bike for a ride?

And does it preclude a rider from putting the bike in neutral while moving (not that anyone should)?

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Can you ride two up on that? Doesn't look much like a pillion seat and I see no hand holds. Pretty sure my wife wouldn't ride back there! No way I would.
Nope! Either I ride it, or she does.
I'm happier when she does, that way I'm on the ST if we're together.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I just took a closer look at the photos in the original post and in Kawasaki's website and could not find any reference anywhere to a center stand. The accessories list on the website also does not list a CS as being available. Sorry, but if I were in the market for another bike that would be a deal-killer for me. I don't often do heavy-duty maintenance, but like to at least be able to change the oil and filter, replace brake pads, and R&R either of the wheels for tire repair or replacement.
I bought a Bike Jack ($80) from Northern Tool that I use to get it up and level for maintenance. Would prefer a center stand, but the separate stand works.

OP
OP
Fatjock

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
Nice choice! Good looking bike. Just needs a trunk with a backrest.

Dale :D
Thought about it.......but then it would pretty much be a Voyager, and that's an old mans bike.:crackup

Went the trailer route instead, but there was another reason for that too. I travel for a living, and would much rather be on two wheels than four, but getting a large suitcase and a toolkit to the airport meant using a car. Now with the trailer, I can accommodate everything I need, and still have the joy of riding, on my "commute" to the airport.

Last edited:
Top Bottom