Avon Storm or PR2?

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I called Honda or Jacksonville to order my Avon Storms for the 95 ST1100 and got a price of $266 out the door.......with Moly grease. Then the parts guy tells me that many of the ST1100 and 1300 owners love the PR2 and they would be $334 out the door. I have read about both and will be coming from the Bridgestone ply tires, so ether will give a much better ride for me. Anyone have some feedback about what they think about the tires and the prices?

Edit: P.S. I have read also about how greasy the PR2 are new. Has anyone gone out and put a mile or so on a dirt/sandy road to help this break in period?

STOC #
I just took off a new Avon Storm I put on 78 miles ago and went back to a Metzler Z6 like I had on previously. The Strom did not please me as it developed a serious shimmy (read that tank slapper) when slowing down between 40 and 35 mph. The problem went away as soon as the Metzler went on. I do my own mounting and balancing so installatoin costs were not an issue. i might note that I have the Progressive springs, 10wt fork oil and tapered steering head bearings on my 2000 ST1100. I run a Bridgestone BT 020 on the rear. This is probably the tire setup I will continue using.

Bike
'93 ST1100
I really think there was a very bad batch of front Avon Storms shipped out.
I had exact same shimmy caused by brand new defective front Storm.
Many others reported same thing.
Always fixed by replacing the new tire with another new tire.
Of course I too first tried Progressive springs, 10wt fork oil and tapered steering head bearings, yet nothing fixed shimmy until new Storm was removed and replaced with another special warranty Storm.

I wonder how well the combo of front PR2, along with rear Storm would work?

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have bought 3 consecutive sets of Storms from Honda of Jacksonville at that price out the door mounted and balanced. I like these tires very much. I once ran a set of Michelin PRs, the original ones, and those were about $305 out the door but that was two years ago. Ask for Ryan or Brett to do the actual mounting and balancing. Two excellent ST1300 techs.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Another great thing about buying Storms local is if you did have a rare defective tire, they could handle the warranty swap instantly for you. Pretty much eliminates the risk of getting a bad tire.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I really think there was a very bad batch of front Avon Storms shipped out.
I had exact same shimmy caused by brand new defective front Storm.
Many others reported same thing.
Always fixed by replacing the new tire with another new tire.
Of course I too first tried Progressive springs, 10wt fork oil and tapered steering head bearings, yet nothing fixed shimmy until new Storm was removed and replaced with another special warranty Storm.

I wonder how well the combo of front PR2, along with rear Storm would work?
It seems a common problem for ST1100's to develop a decel head shake. I wonder if 1100's are very particular to the slightest tire variation or tire problem. The 1300 does not seem to yet have this problem, maybe it will surface with more 1300's reaching high mileage status. Mine only has 49,000 miles so far.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Not mileage related. 15,000 on my '93 ST1100 when I installed the Storms.
Also, defective new Storm tire took 0.25 oz to balance. Shimmy.
Warranty replacement Storm took 1.75 oz. No Shimmy.
This also leads me to believe defective was from a bad batch.

When needed again, I would definitely by another set of Storms if I could find them locally, (just in case of another defect), but no one stocks them in the ST1100 size around central and southern half of Florida.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
dduelin, I read your post about Honda of Jax and that is what sent me there to try them out. Thanks. O.K. Avons it is. Does the fork brace from MCL help with any shimmy?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
dduelin, I read your post about Honda of Jax and that is what sent me there to try them out. Thanks. O.K. Avons it is. Does the fork brace from MCL help with any shimmy?
I wouldn't think so bill. Decel headshake is usually wheel bearing or head stock bearing related aggravated or set off by a worn or defective tire. Lots of bikes do this if you slow down with your hands off the bars - far more than we realize.

Three sets on the ST11, two on the Beemer, and going for more. Avon is a real customer based company with no messing around so I've found. Also, yes the first couple of hundred miles gives you a, "I'm not so sure" feeling..Then they really come on their own.
I find them very predictable and planted from day to day, dirt hard pac to choppy pave, and in the wet.
It is safe to add them to the small list of really good hides.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I just took off a new Avon Storm I put on 78 miles ago and went back to a Metzler Z6 like I had on previously. The Strom did not please me as it developed a serious shimmy (read that tank slapper) when slowing down between 40 and 35 mph. The problem went away as soon as the Metzler went on. I do my own mounting and balancing so installatoin costs were not an issue. i might note that I have the Progressive springs, 10wt fork oil and tapered steering head bearings on my 2000 ST1100. I run a Bridgestone BT 020 on the rear. This is probably the tire setup I will continue using.

Hey Mc did you talk to Avon about your issue? Was just wondering if they might help.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the input. I had read that on another web site as I was looking for riding info on the PR2. I do not thing it was on an ST1100, but basiclly the rider did not feel comfortable with the tires until one day he had pulled onto a road covered with ground rock of some kind and thinks it may have helped the tire break in. Anyway, that is where I got the idea of running down a dirt (our roads are more sandy) road for a bit.
I was told by the parts guy at Honda of Jax, that the tires were recording higher miles than the Avon's where. He said they have a harder rubber in the center (hwy running) and that they brought the softer rubber down lower around the edge. I have not idea what that means, but that's what he said. I also read that the PR2 is a little rounder and seems to roll into corners easier. Again, I'm not a sport bike guy, I am not sure that I could tell the difference on my bike. The parts guy also thinks that the PR2 is better in wet roads.
Now, as I trust no Dealership completly, my first thought would be that they have a better deal on the Mich's than the Avon's. But that is why I have you guys to ask!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going Avon and I have to see in about 7k to 9k miles what I'll do then.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Thanks for the input. I had read that on another web site as I was looking for riding info on the PR2. I do not thing it was on an ST1100, but basiclly the rider did not feel comfortable with the tires until one day he had pulled onto a road covered with ground rock of some kind and thinks it may have helped the tire break in. Anyway, that is where I got the idea of running down a dirt (our roads are more sandy) road for a bit.
I was told by the parts guy at Honda of Jax, that the tires were recording higher miles than the Avon's where. He said they have a harder rubber in the center (hwy running) and that they brought the softer rubber down lower around the edge. I have not idea what that means, but that's what he said. I also read that the PR2 is a little rounder and seems to roll into corners easier. Again, I'm not a sport bike guy, I am not sure that I could tell the difference on my bike. The parts guy also thinks that the PR2 is better in wet roads.
Now, as I trust no Dealership completly, my first thought would be that they have a better deal on the Mich's than the Avon's. But that is why I have you guys to ask!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going Avon and I have to see in about 7k to 9k miles what I'll do then.

Hey Hot see you'er in NE Florida I was born in that area. Marianna and still have lots of family down around there.

Yes the dealer was right about the compounds. Rear is 40 20 40 and the front is 20 60 20 I think. to early this morning.

I just didn't get that feel of being slick on the new ones. Very stable and turns very nice. I don't think youi will go wrong on the Avons either.

ride safe

On the ST11 I have found that the Storm front is the best front tyre in terms of grip and life I have used so far (a good combination!). Other tyres have lasted 10,000kms (Z6, 2 Azaros), Storm 15,000kms. On the rear the Storm lasts the same as the Z6 (10,000kms), less than the Azaros (13,000kms). Haven't tried the P2s as they are expensive and hard to come by down here. Currently running the Dunlop roadsmarts, behave very well in all conditions (wet, gravel, cold etc) but mileage is yet to be seen. A 170/60 rear rated for the ST13 works just fine on the ST11, no advantages over the 160/70, but a few more revs for the same road speed, and harder to put on the centre stand.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Just put a set of PR2s on the 1300. I don't think they have them for the 1100? Anyway they looked snake spit shiny but quickly scuffed in fine. They didnt' feel slippery. Have only been in the rain once, less than 50 miles on em and they did fine. Haven't tried the storms so I can't compare. They are a ton better than squared off 13,000 mile baloney skin PRs though:D. Planted and don't hunt in road irregularities. So far I like em, we'll see about the mileage.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I had about 5K on a set of Storms before teSTarossa died and was very pleased. No headshake issues, very good wet traction, reasonably quick turn-in, and they felt stable and confidence inspiring while I dragged the pegs at EaSTOC last year.

They'd be my tire of choice for the 1100 again.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Can't tell you about the tires on your bike, BUT I've a set of PR2s on the Bandit with few miles so far.

To your questions I can say thiis.

I purchased them from 2Brothers on this site, and they'll give you both an outstanding price and outstanding service and shipping (If you mail order and put them on yourself or if you live close enough to have them put them on).

They are very solid on the road during run in with no slip issues whatever, so erase that concern.

They DO turn in VERY FAST and enough so yes, you will be able to tell the difference. How that will translate on your bike I've no idea.

HOWEVER, on my bike they remain rock steady over grooved pavement and edge traps etc. (at least so far), which after feeling the fast turn in I thought wouldn't be the case. I was pleasantly surprised.

Even though they are ultra responsive to bar input they remain a set the lean and forget it tire stable mid-turn.

I've not enough miles to know how they are in rain (supposedly good), or how they behave when really pushed. Initially I like them a lot better than road smarts.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Is the PR2 size not being correct for the ST1100 a non-issue?
Wouldn't that affect the profile?

Also, anyone find it odd that in the U.K., where the Storms are made, you can not get the Storm in the ST1100 sizes. 3 weeks backorder according to posts at ST1100.org. Seems if there was a known issue, the first place they would disappear would be the country of orgin. Maybe I read to much into things...

http://www.my-mc.com/messages/1/104491.html?1215057620

Last edited:
Top Bottom