Electric Windshield OUCH!!!

This one hurts! Riding home tonight, hit the button to raise the windshield and uh oh, one side wont move...Got home, took it apart and discovered the cable on that side is worn away..Only problem is cant order just the cable, can only order the whole set up for 350 bucks!!!!! Any ideas.. This ever happen to anyone else? Its a 2004 with 32000 miles... Dan

OP
OP
Nevermind... Checked the Tech section. Discovered I'm not the only one.. Looks like there isn't much that can be done...

STOC #
Dennis Martin had done some part number investigation for the gears (that are usually the failure point) on MY-MC and wasn't able to find anything. I'll include a link when I have a moment to search it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sounds like it's time to create a repair farkle. What does the cable consist of?
+1... if your only option currently is to replace it. Take it apart first and see if something can be done. If I remember correctly, it's just basic twisted strand type cable but I didn't examine mine...

Someone might have one sitting in the garage with the other side worn...

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Did you happen to take any pictures when you had it apart.
Is it a shrouded cable like a bicycle brake cable?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
O-o-o-o, Mr. Carteeeeer!!!

If it's close to bicycle control cable, those are cheap and easy!! I've never seen the inside of the windshield drive, but I've seen many, many, many bicycle cables.

Keep the hints coming, folks, a repair will be forthcoming.

Might be worth checking out at the next SoCal Tech event if nothing happens sooner.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
O-o-o-o, Mr. Carteeeeer!!!

If it's close to bicycle control cable, those are cheap and easy!! I've never seen the inside of the windshield drive, but I've seen many, many, many bicycle cables.

Keep the hints coming, folks, a repair will be forthcoming.

Might be worth checking out at the next SoCal Tech event if nothing happens sooner.
I think they are thicker than bicycle cables... maybe 1/8 inch thick going by memory.. Of course, my memory is going so don't go by that... Of course, my memory is going so don't go by that...

STOC #
I think they are thicker than bicycle cables... maybe 1/8 inch thick going by memory.. Of course, my memory is going so don't go by that... Of course, my memory is going so don't go by that...
Anything like a clutch cable? There are lots of places that make custom control cables.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Anything like a clutch cable? There are lots of places that make custom control cables.
I'll wait for Bob to post pics and maybe the cable diameter... I'm thinking it's even thicker than a clutch cable.. Again, the way my memory works it could have been chain driven.. :D

Bike
st1300
STOC #
The cable / flexible rod has splines that actually have to mesh with the drive gear. this is a Push / Pull type flex drive cable. Not only does the cable wear, but the cheap pot metal cast drive adapter gear will be worn out. this gear is the link between the drive motor gear & the cable. Pics tonight.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Boy, it sure seems like Honda cheaped out in too many areas on the 1300. The 1100, once they upgraded to the 40 amp alternator, is bulletproof. There seem to me to be more failures on 5 recent years of 1300s than on the 11 prior years of 1100s.

Thermostat problems, brake issues, windshield problems... Very dissapointing.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Boy, it sure seems like Honda cheaped out in too many areas on the 1300. The 1100, once they upgraded to the 40 amp alternator, is bulletproof. There seem to me to be more failures on 5 recent years of 1300s than on the 11 prior years of 1100s.

Thermostat problems, brake issues, windshield problems... Very dissapointing.
Yeah, but it's hard to have problems with a fixed windscreen unless it buffets which was one of the persistant complaints on early 1100 tests and reviews.

STOC #
Mine broke after FLSTOC. I think the mod I put on the windscreen to move it out put some extra stress on the cables. I layed out the money. The only thing which is wrong is the cable is stripped. You maybe able to pull something out of a car window and mod it to attach the sliders on each side of the windscreen.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Here are some pics I snapped. You can see the two spots that wear on the cheap metal drive gear as well as how the flex drive rod had to mesh with the drive gear. The flex rod runs through the guide tubes & drives the shield mech. I have this unit on the bench if any questions need answering.

Attachments

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Bob,

Good pictures...
Hmm... if that 'cheap metal gear' was upgraded to a better metal (or deldrin?) what would be the *next* failure point?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, what Mark said... did the cable show any wear?

I'm assuming that the rail not being lubed would add to the resistance and pressure on the contact point of the gear...

I did a quick search on the service manual and didn't see any maint procedures on lubing the windshield rails.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Yup, the cable will also be stripped. When you remove it you can see how bad the high use area is worn down. The cable & soft metal gear are the weak wear parts. The gear in the pictures was not used with the cable in the pictures. That gear was from my first assembly that was really worn out. The complete assembly & cable in the pictures still has it's motor attached. It's stripped, but not worn as bad as my orig gear. I keep hoping one day I will be able to find some replacement parts. (flex rod & drive gear.)

Top Bottom