Ten n' Ten Rally

Those of you interested in Long Distance Rallies will certainly be interested in the announcement of the upcoming Ten n' Ten Rally put on by rallymaster extraordinaire Steve Chalmers.

Time: August 26 - Sept 5 2010
Cost: $750 single ($625 for Mera Members getting a 10% discount and paying all at once for an additional $50 discount).

Information Here

Would be good to see a group of ST's entered in this premeir event.

Brian R.

DAS

STOC #
I think most of us know that one n' one is enough to affect judgment. More than that is all about managing it, along with time, the plan, fuel, tires, etc. etc. I won't be doing any ten n' ten but I'm a wantabe and spend way too much time following these things.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Brian I would like to beleive I am ready for such an event, however honestly I know better. Being pretty new to this kind of riding, I am like a kid in a candy store. A few more summers full of one day and multi day rallies and I will throw my name in the bucket. Hopefully I get to ride with you in 2011. I plan on attending the 1088 this year however, and of course the LOE again.

Bike
ST1300
This is being announced 18 months ahead of time?
Participating in a 10 day event is not a spur-of-the-moment decision. He (the rallymaster) is giving lots of time so people can plan their vacation time. Shorter events are still usually announced 6-8 months in advance.

OP
OP
BrianR
how far can someone ride before fatigue begins to affect judgement? just curious
That all depends upon the rider. It is all about time management and as I say on rides like this you are either riding or sleeping. Anything else and you are just wasting time.

Pit stops for personal needs are something that can cause great debate within the active community at large but I can say that the winner of a rally like this will ride in excess of 10K miles and while difficult it will be quite achievable for this class of rider.

The advantage here is that the bonuses will be given out a month before the rally so you can set up your own route so that makes it similar to running a standard 10/10ths (10, 1000 mile days back to back) which quite a few have accomplished. Still, it is not the most miles that wins - it is the most points so efficiency is all important.

Some riders will be toast before the first day is finished, some will be fresh as a daisy when it is all over it really depends upon preparation and experience and knowing your capabilities and working within those constructs. It is not surprising that the leader board will most likely be populated with experienced veterans - but that does not preclude a rookie who is familiar with the roads, their route and bike to finish well or even win.

As always - IT IS UP TO THE RIDER TO DECIDE WHEN THEY NEED REST, and then to get it and make their plan to include any required deviation. When I completed the Run What Ya Brung (same format, Rallymaster but only 5 days) I had a very detailed plan with timing on a complex spreadsheet guiding my every minute - including sufficient rest to keep me rested and safe according to my abilities.

Brian R.

When I saw the mail on the the 10-n-10, I thought I have to do this one. So I'll be there but sorry no ST for me I'll be on the FJR :D. Still a long way off and I have another ride I'm prep'ing for Brian and Maura (I think you know) :D. This is one of those rides I'm probably going to sign up for and forget about for a while.

I was there with Brian on the Run What Ya Brung (RWYB) and I agree completely with Brian. Everyone's body is different and you have to know when to call it good. I work nights and never sleep more than 5 hours a day, so I feel pretty comfortable getting 4 hours of sleep and riding. When I hit the finish line on last years RWYB, I felt pretty good. I was tired but felt I could have continued riding if I needed too. Getting the bonuses a month in advance also helps because you set up your route and you can get a solid nights sleep before the start.

Knowing Steve this will be an outstanding rally and one not to miss.

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom