03 ST1300, rear brake pad change

Preface: I do all the maintenance on my vehicles (cars), so i'm not a pro at mechanical maintenance, but not a noob either. I do all the brake work on my cars. My question is, on the 03 ST, can i replace those back brake pads without removing the rear wheel? It looks like the caliper is relatively accessible, but would just like to know if there is an easier path.

Last edited:

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Preface: I do all the maintenance on my vehicles (cars), so i'm not a pro at mechanical maintenance, but not a noob either. I do all the brak work on my cars. My question is, on the 03 ST, can i replace those back brake pads without removing the rear wheel? It looks like the caliper is relatively accessible, but would just like to know if there is an easier path.
Yes you can. Clean the pistons before you press them back into the caliper. A shoe string wetted in brake fluid works well.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Wow Small world. Not as warm as FL. It is not white, nor is it green right now either. Waiting for warmer weather and the Stay-at-Home bans to lift because things are getting better. Till then, trip planning are a time passer.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
My question is, on the 03 ST, can i replace those back brake pads without removing the rear wheel? It looks like the caliper is relatively accessible, but would just like to know if there is an easier path.
Also, head over to the articles button at the top and choose ST1300 articles, then type in brake in the search box, lots of great info on brakes for the new guys.

Top Bottom